Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
9,958 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sunday 1st May 2005, 14:00 at Pittodrie.

Aberdeen versus Rangers

PREVIEW

With Rangers trailing Celtic by 5 points after this weekend's derby defeat the destiny of the title is now out of their hands. All they can do now is win their remaining matches to keep the gap respectable should Celtic win all their games which looks likely. The next match is away from home which should suit Rangers. Having played well at home all season in the league they have only managed 1 point from the last 3 home matches- that is why they are sitting in second rather than top of the SPL.

The SPL Split has it's pros and cons. Having to visit Pittodrie 3 times in the league this season is one of the downsides. Including the CIS Cup that will be 4 times away and 1 game at home. Over the years it's always been a difficult venue to visit and this week will be no exception.

Code:
[b]SCOTTISH PREMIER LEAGUE TOP SIX
[color=green]Hibs       34  17  6 11  58 51   7 57[/color]
[color=red]Aberdeen   34  16  7 12  39 33   6 55[/color]
[color=darkred]Hearts     34  13 10 12  41 35   6 49[/color] 
[color=darkorange]Motherwell 34  12  7 15  41 42  -1 43[/b][/color]
Aberdeen

The game at Celtic Park the day before will have a big influence on this match. Celtic play Hibs and most would expect Celtic to win that easily as Hibs have taken some hammerings from the Old Firm as well as other sides due to the open football they play. That win for Celtic would leave Rangers trailing 8 points but would also give Aberdeen the chance to go into 3rd place by beating Rangers.

The Dons will be right up for this one as they chase that European place. Normally they don't need an incentive anyway as this has always been one of the most fiercely fought matches outside of a derby match.

Their last 5 SPL results:

• 1-0 Motherwell (Away)
  • 2-3 Celtic (Away)
  • 1-3 Motherwell (Home)
  • 1-0 Inverness (Away)
  • 1-1 Dundee (Home)

Of late their form has been better away from home. Despite defeat at Celtic Park they earned alot of respect for their performance and were unlucky not to take something out of the game. They have yet to beat Rangers this season but will be looking to do so on Sunday.

RANGERS

Rangers will be glad to get away from Ibrox even if it is up to Aberdeen after taking only 1 point from their last 3 home matches. Rangers' away form has been good all season. They have lost only 1 league game away from home and that was way back at the start of the season at Celtic Park.

Rangers have won their last 6 home games on the trot on league duty and have only dropped point once this year. That was on New Years day when they drew 1-1 with Dundee United.

Their last 5 SPL results:

• 1-2 Celtic (Home)
  • 1-0 Dunfermline (Away)
  • 0-1 Dundee United (Home)
  • 3-2 Motherwell (Away)
  • 2-0 Dundee (Away)

HEAD TO HEAD

Rangers' first competative gam of this season was up at Aberdeen. It was a frustrating start and set the tone for the games that followed. The turning point came in a visit back their in the CIS Cup. This was the start of Rangers most successfull period in the league this season which saw them go undefeated from September 2004 till earlier this month.

Rangers recorded their biggest league win this season at home to Aberdeen in the same week Aberdeen had gone to Celtic Park and won. Earlier this year Rangers scraped a victory at Pittodrie again.

SPL, Sat 7th Aug 2004

Aberdeen 0(0)-(0)0 Rangers

EVENTS:

McNaughton
Diamond

A solid performance from Diamond and Anderson helped keep Rangers at bay for 90 minutes.

CIS Cup, Wed 22nd Sep 2004

Aberdeen 0(0)-(1)2 Rangers

EVENTS:

Ricksen Aberdeen 0-1 Rangers
Foster
Adams
McNaughton
Malcolm
Thompson Aberdeen 0-2 Rangers
Malcolm

Ricksen's free kick opens the deadlock for Rangers.

SPL, Sun 31st Oct 2004

Rangers 5(1)-(0)0 Aberdeen

EVENTS:
Novo
Thompson Rangers 1-0 Aberdeen
Mackie
Lovenkrands Rangers 2-0 Aberdeen
McGuire
Novo Rangers 3-0 Aberdeen
Anderson
Malcolm
Ricksen Rangers 4-0 Aberdeen
Novo Rangers 5-0 Aberdeen

The first of Novo's two goals which helped Rangers hamemr the dons in their only Ibrox meeting of the season.

SPL, Sun 23rd Jan 2005

Aberdeen 1(1)-(2)2 Rangers

EVENTS:

Prso Aberdeen 0-1 Rangers
McNaughton O.G. Aberdeen 0-2 Rangers
Mackie Aberdeen 1-2 Rangers
McNaughton
Whelan
Vignal
Hart
Clark
Namouchi

Dado Prso scored an early opener for Rangers.

THE TEAM

Team news will follow during the week. Novo looks certain to be dropped and Andrews will likely get rested till the end of the season. Bob Malcolm will be the likely candidate to come back in which is a worry for us all.

·
Registered
7,978 Posts
I admire the fact you're continuing with these previews chivo :D. I just want to forget about this season now. There's no way we'll win all four remaining matches either.

·
Registered
6,867 Posts
the worst possible place to go after losing the league. The Aberdeen fans will be loving our misfortune :(

Lets hope we can beat them convincingly and at least shut them up for a bit

·
Registered
9,958 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Marco Negri said:
Novo certain to be dropped?

I don't know about that. Yes, he's been rank the past few weeks, but he's fast and he's always capable of getting chances.
Just my own view. Earlier in the season McLeish done it and then he came off the bench to get us the victory at Dens Park. He started scoring from there. Now that the league is all but over I think McLeish will put him on the bench and let Thompson have a shot at it.

Angle_eyes said:
I admire the fact you're continuing with these previews chivo :D. I just want to forget about this season now. There's no way we'll win all four remaining matches either.
Lol, it helps ease the pain if I can concentrate on something else. I'll try to continue these for the last 4 games but it might get too painful to do so.

Teddy Bear said:
the worst possible place to go after losing the league. The Aberdeen fans will be loving our misfortune :(

Lets hope we can beat them convincingly and at least shut them up for a bit
It would be great to get a win there. For one it would stop Celtic being able to win the league at Celtic Park. Like Angle I don't think we'll win our remaining 4 games but I hope we get enough points to keep the gap respectable.

·
Registered
7,017 Posts
I hope you win, providing that Celtic do the business against Hibs the day previous of course.

I'm determined to lift the league at Tynecastle on the 2nd last day this season.

·
Registered
9,958 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
King_Henrik said:
I'm determined to lift the league at Tynecastle on the 2nd last day this season.
I knew you were Jackie Mac all along but didn't want to give the game away. You've finally been rumbled :nono:

·
Registered
7,017 Posts
chivoexpiatorio said:
I knew you were Jackie Mac all along but didn't want to give the game away. You've finally been rumbled :nono:
Haha. :D

It actually took me a minute to cotton onto what the hell you were talking about there. This is one of my quicker days i think.

·
Registered
9,958 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Very strange to see that both sides of the divide have an axe to grind with a particular team this season. It's fair to say Hearts haven't been winning many friends this season because of various antics. It's a bit of a shame though because along with Hibs and Aberdeen they are showing signs that in seasons to come they can maybe lift the quality of football in the SPL outside of the old firm.

·
Registered
9,958 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It looks as if big Marv will play this Sunday after all. McLeish says while he is fit and available he'll pick him. I hope the big man's knee holds up.

I still think Novo will be rested and Thompson will be brought in. If this is the case then I hope Thompson takes his chance. The last time he started against Inverness he was rotten. Hopefully he'll take his chance this time because he looked sharp on Sunday, just like he did at the start of the season.

·
Registered
6,867 Posts
I still think the league is over....but after todays win for Hibs at Celtic Park it's at least made things a bit more interesting again - as long as we win tomorrow. So 'mon the Gers!

·
Registered
7,978 Posts
Exactly what I think.

If we can beat Aberdeen and then Hearts on Saturday the pressure would be back on them to an extent. I still think it's over, but it would be shameful if we can't win tomorrow under the circumstances.

·
Registered
7,978 Posts
Glad Vignal's not playing. Hope he's played his last game for us. I'm not watching the game, so I don't know what formation we're playing, but the 11 seems a pretty strange one. This is probably Lovenkrands last chance so he'd better make the most of it. Why is Novo playing though? Suppose he's got to score sooner or later.

·
Registered
7,978 Posts
Why couldn't we apply ourselves like that in all the games? :wallbang:

Again, how was Dado not even nominated for player of the year?

·
Registered
6,867 Posts
Best performance for weeks, probably since the Dundee United cup game.

Buffel played in his proper position - he wasn't great but he was much more involved in play.

Prso was great and Ferguson and Rae were good too.

Like you say though why couldn't we apply ourselves like that in previous games :(

·
Registered
946 Posts
Interesting line-up today. I didn't see the game, but it looks as though Lovenkrands didn't take his chance. Bye bye, Peter.

Good result, and a good performance. Couldn't have asked for anything more. We should be able to beat Hearts on Saturday, they've looked a bit shaky recently.

·
Registered
9,958 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
That was a great win by Hibs on Saturday to give us the opportunity to close the gap on Celtic. I think it's a false hope though. We have the chance to put pressure on Celtic now ahead of their home game with Abedeen on Sunday but I actually think that is the kind of pressure that will make them lift their game. I'm almost positive they will win that game. Against Hibs I think they played as is the title was already over so will now be motivated again to take all 3 points.

Celtic are suffering from the same problem as Rangers. They are struggling at home. Both sides have taken more points away from home this season. My own view, with Rangers anyway, is that the supporters are getting on the teams back too quickly. I think the team plays more freely away from home.

RESULT: SPL, matchday thirty-five (1st May 2005)

Aberdeen 1(1)-(2)3 Rangers

REFEREE: H Dallas
ATTENDANCE: 17,198

ABERDEEN TEAM:

Esson, McNaughton, Anderson, Diamond, Byrne, Clark, Severin, Heikkinen, Muirhead, Whelan, Mackie.

RANGERS TEAM:

----------------Waterreus

Ricksen-----Kyrgiakos--------Andrews--------Ross

Novo----A.Rae------Ferguson------Lovenkrands

-------------------Buffel

-------------------Prso

Match Events:

Ferguson Aberdeen 0-1 Rangers
Clark Aberdeen 1-1 Rangers
Diamond
Prso Aberdeen 1-2 Rangers
Hart for Byrne
Prso Aberdeen 1-3 Rangers
Blaha for Whelan
Arveladze for Lovenkrands
Dempsey for Muirhead
Severin
Thompson for Prso

Code:
[b]SCOTTISH PREMIER LEAGUE TOP SIX
[color=green]Hibs       35  18  6 11  61 52   9 60[/color]
[color=red]Aberdeen   35  16  7 13  40 36   4 55[/color]
[color=darkred]Hearts     35  13 11 12  41 35   6 50[/color] 
[color=darkorange]Motherwell 35  12  8 15  41 42  -1 44[/b][/color]
Match:

I didn't think we were going to win this one when I saw the line-up. Not only that but McLeish changed the formation again to a 4-4-1-1. The idea was to make the formation without the ball but move to a 4-2-1-3 or 4-2-4 when in possession. The Link man and the two wide midfielders were to support the lone striker. It meant though playing players out of position.

Ball, Vignal and Namouchi had all picked up injuries according to McLeish. As a result Ricksen was moved to right back with Ross going to left back. McLeish also decided to move Novo to right wing/ right midfield to "take the pressure off him". Stevie Thompson must be raging because he looks a form striker at the moment. Not only does Novo keep getting chances ahead of him but Lovenkrands gets a start ahead of him too and even Arveladze gets on as a sub before him.

That's all the negative aspects out of the way. On a water logged surface Rangers played some of their best football this season. They had decided to play on the deck and looked like a good side again. Buffel was causing Aberdeen problems in the space and when they decided to manmark him with Heikkinen he dragged him around the park creating openings for others.

It was great to get all 3 points but it was the overall team footballing performance and individual performances that was good to see. Big Marv had a cracking game and doesn't look like he's carrying an injury at all. Ferguson ran the midfield while Alex Rae looked like the player we got at the start of the season breaking up alot of moves with some great tackling. Buffel should have been the star man with his great first half performance but he was overshadowed once again by Dado Prso. The big Croatian striker was fantastic again on Sunday. He is definitely the biggest plus point in McLeish's transfer acquisitions. If we can get a consistant striker to play alongside him then it will be a partnership to behold. Too often this season he's had to do it all on his own with no support.

·
Registered
36,402 Posts
Nice going for Prso, let's hope he has that form when he takes off the blue of rangers to wear the red and white checks..

·
Registered
7,978 Posts
chivoexpiatorio said:
Celtic are suffering from the same problem as Rangers. They are struggling at home. Both sides have taken more points away from home this season. My own view, with Rangers anyway, is that the supporters are getting on the teams back too quickly. I think the team plays more freely away from home.
Up until a few weeks ago we hadn't lost a domestic match at home, so I don't think playing at home is necessarily the problem. We've just been shite everywhere recently. Over the season we've looked far dodgier away from home IMO. And you often get a better atmosphere at Ibrox when the team's in trouble like the Dundee United game the other week.

The least we should expect is that we win the last three matches. At least then we'll be able to look forward to next season with a tiny bit of optimism, especially if we can perform like we did yesterday in the remaining matches.

I see Prso was snubbed in for the writer's player of the year award as well :rollani:. What matches has everyone been watching this season when Celtic supporter's don't even see Hartson as their best performer, and yet he's good enough to be double player of the year?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts