Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 169 Posts

·
Registered
11,399 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
This weekend is the Derby of Rome. Life after Totti begins with one of the most anticipated derbies of all time. Our beloved Roma goes for a Serie A record 11 straight league victories without the world's best player, il Capitano Francesco Totti, and lazio are vowing to end the streak and are in form, following a huge 2-1 victory at Fiorentina.

Gazzetta.it's line-up as of today:

(4-2-3-1)

------------------Doni----------------
Panucci-----Mexes-----Chivu-----Cufre'
--------Aquilani---------De Rossi-------
---Mancini------Perrotta------Taddei---
----------------Montella---------------

Bench: Tommasi, Dacourt, Kuffour, Bovo, Alvarez, Rosi, Curci

Suspended: None

Injured: Totti, Nonda

Forza Roma...history awaits us...win it for the fans, the society, Coach Spalletti, and...for Francesco.

·
Registered
13,063 Posts
Totti will be watching on the television from home with his beautiful wife and glorious child. He'll be cheering us on, both Thurs., and Sunday. We just need to keep things tight and counter attack with precision vs. Brugge, as they require two goals to win. We can test a few things out (Montella) versus Brugge, and Spalletti will come into the Lazio match with a plan. He is, after all, a magician when it comes to getting the very best out of his sides.

·
Registered
54,575 Posts
I go with that team. Indeed in midweek we have a UEFA game dont we or am I wrong? Anyway with Vincenzo needed in the derby I would only have him on the bench for Brugge and play either Okaka or Taddei (which has happened) as the lone striker...

·
Registered
57 Posts
i think that tommasi should start the derby in taddei's place, taddei hasnt been doing too well and tommasi is just the kind of leader we need after losing totti

·
Registered
11,360 Posts
I say play the mostly reserves in the UEFA Cup plus the regular defence and hope to concede less than 2 goals. We need our players ready and fresh for the derby. Plus without Totti the chances of us winning the UEFA Cup are practically gone, and our squad is too thin to be successful on two fronts, so I would prefer if we concentrate mostly on Seria A for now.

This derby is huge, if we win it without Totti, it will be a massive morale boost and it may prove decisive in the end. It would be fantastic if Montella again proves his doubters wrong by scoring a goal or two in the derby. If he scores the winning goal, it would be like a dream come through for him and all Roma fans.

·
Registered
6,255 Posts
Demandred said:
This derby is huge, if we win it without Totti, it will be a massive morale boost and it may prove decisive in the end.
i don't feel that derby as "huge" nor anyhow decisive in the long run.
nothing compared to what it used to be 5-6 years ago in terms of nailbiting nervousness the days and hours before kickoff.
back then when the schedule came out i always looked for the dates of the derby first, within the last years i care way more about beating juve.
but i do want to win it for the 11th consecutive win which will make this squad historical. :proud:

·
Registered
19,782 Posts
i don't feel that derby as "huge" nor anyhow decisive in the long run.
I disagree.

This match is not important only because it is a derby, But it also means a lot in term of morale and confidence.

It's not hard to notice that the team mentality is low now. A defeat in the derby is always painful, plus ending the streak by Lazio that would be devastating. Not to mention the probability of losing the 4th place after we finally reached it.

While on the other hand if we won. We'll get our historic record and we will prove to the world and to ourselves that we are strong without Totti.

Most important game this season IMO, It will define our path from now on.

Whatever happens.. Forza Roma!! do it for il capitano :heart:

·
Registered
13,063 Posts
It's not hard to notice that the team mentality is low now. >>

Jesus, I'm glad I'm not stuck on a sinking ship or a deserted island with some of you. ;)
Please, it's only as low as we make it. Spalletti & Perrotta are out there speaking positive, trying hard to make us doubters believe in a Roma without Totti. I know how hard it is - the picture of Francesco in the hospital is enough to make us very emotional - but let the players do their work without adding more pressure and telling them their mentality is low. Keep in mind, we still have a great defense - the best - and that will always keep us in every match. We also have a great midfield now. There's no question we'll miss Totti, but the others are with him and their mentality is not low - it may be mixed - but they, too, have won 10 matches in a row, so don't underestimate that as a motivating factor for them vs. Lazio. They too want #11 so bad. Think of Cufre, think of Mexes-Chivu, the fight of Panucci, DeRossi's anger, and all the rest. Don't lose the match before we play it. :thumbsup:
11 VS. LAZIO FOR FRANCESCO :thumbsup:

·
Registered
11,399 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
GamE_Ove12 said:
I disagree. This match is not important only because it is a derby, But it also means a lot in term of morale and confidence. It's not hard to notice that the team mentality is low now.
I agree 100%. Also, I hope you don't mind that I am using your avatar out of respect for Totti and his absence. I wanted to do something similar a few days ago, but I'm not great with the computer and just didn't know how to get it done. I hope its ok with you, if not, I will change it to something else.

·
Registered
19,782 Posts
Of course it's ok with me bro.:) let's show our support to our great cpitano.

It's my first try with Photoshop nice to see it has some admiration :D

·
Registered
12,237 Posts
If we manage to win this game (however unlikely and impossible it would seem at first glance) it would be an enormous moral stimuli. Not only would it be a defeat over lazio, not only would it make Roma the sole team to have ever accomplished such a winning streak, it would prove that the team can win without Totti. And they can, you know. Perrotta won't stop running at neck-break speed for 90 minutes just because Totti isn't there. Mexès won't stop eating up attackers for breakfast because we don't have a #10 out there on Sunday, etcetera etcetera. If we were to win the derby, I wouldn't be surprised if we smashed Inter at home the week after, just for the hell of it.
Should we falter, however...there is a possibility for self-doubt to come into play. Not that I think Spalletti would allow it, but the possibility is there.

If the Empoli game is anything to go by, Panucci for captain on Sunday, yes?

·
Registered
6,255 Posts
GamE_Ove12 said:
A defeat in the derby is always painful, plus ending the streak by Lazio that would be devastating. Not to mention the probability of losing the 4th place after we finally reached it.
it doesn't matter if we lose the position for 1 or 2 weeks, important is that we're 4th after the last game is played.

@ lazie:
their players are average i guess and i don't really hate them(apart from one), hell i don't even know the large majority of them or would recognize them or their coach if i met them in a café.
that said, i haven't watched them play, apart from the 2nd half of the derby this season.i haven't seen any of their highlights, simply nothing.
that club in general has zero relevance of how roma is doing from my perspective, i don't even read articles on them when i buy la gazzetta.
of course i check the scores but that i do also of parma, siena or treviso.

there's a saying, that kind of fits to my sentiments of the derby, at least these days:
why would an oak care, when the pigs rub their skin on it?

i hate when we lose a game, but for sure our quest for 4th spot is far from over might they win on sunday night.
this roma is capable to achieve something good in years to come.we're a club with a future now thanks to spalletti's fine work.

Most important game this season IMO, It will define our path from now on.
fiorentina! that's a must win game!
and juve away for the sake of obvious reasons. :)

·
Registered
14,870 Posts
Should be a better game the usual for neutrals. Both teams have been doing well lately. With Totti it would have looked grim for Lazio, but now I am not sure the outcome is certain.

·
Registered
19,782 Posts
Panucci for captain on Sunday, yes?
If Tomassi doesn't start, yes Christian should be the captain. He's the most experienced in the squad. His passion and love for the colours is undeniable.

:thumbsup:

·
Professional Pirate
7,086 Posts
those pictures dont work :tongue: well at least for me they dont....bad sign for the derby eh? :scared:

·
Registered
11,399 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
IMO Captaincy should go in this order: Tommasi, Panucci, Montella, De Rossi, Chivu

·
Registered
13,063 Posts
BTW, I don't want you guys to think I'm overly optimistic, or that I'm dissing our captain in any way just because I'm saying we need to be positive. It's just my automatic reflex, a defensive measure, to battle bad news. I'm fighting these mixed emotions. It's a strangely difficult time to be a Romanista once again, despite our winning streak and CL position. It's hard to celebrate with Totti lying on his back with a cast on his leg. It's impossible to separate the incredible happiness I feel for our almost unprecedented run for the pain of losing Totti for such a long period of time.
When it comes down to it, though, no amount of our suffering will make Totti's ankle better, so we might as well hop on this 05-06 ride, a season we as fans will probably never forget when we look back. What a fvuckin' ride. Like a goddamn emotional bobsled run.
11 FOR FRANCESCO VS. LAZIO :star:

·
Registered
11,399 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
No need to explain yourself Primo, you are correct in your thinking. I wish I could be that way. But I just can't. I can't enjoy where we are right now because there is too much still to be decided. I see the replay of Totti's injury in my mind over and over and over. I try to sit back and enjoy this Roma, but the same questions keep popping up in my mind:

1. When will Totti return and most importantly, will he ever be the same player he was prior to this injury?

2. Can Montella step up and score like he did last season?

3. Is the Roma we saw after Totti's injury against Empoli the Roma we will see the rest of the way? If so, we are in lots of trouble.

4. Can we achieve ANY of the 3 objectives we had prior to the injury? Finishing in 4th place, winning the UEFA Cup, and winning the Coppa Italia just don't seem possible right now.

5. Does Italy have any shot in hell of winning the World Cup without Totti?

I just want these next 2-3 months to pass by as soon as possible. I want these questions answered as I hate not knowing.

Let the bashing of R10 begin...

·
Registered
6,255 Posts
i think the italian media is COMPLETLY overreacting on totti now.
bought today's gazzetta and the first 2 pages articles you wouldn't believe.

the daughter of vanigli asking if her father has to go into jail for the foul on totti.
richard himself in tears at a press-conference.
players from all over europe, including raúl, ronaldo etc. wishing him all the best.

this is getting out of hands.

of course it's bad for us he's injured and maybe because of that we won't reach 4th spot or go far in uefa-cup, but please...

it's not that they had to amputate his leg or he'll be never ever be able to play football again.
if damiano came back after this horrible tackle of that bastard gary taggert, than also il capitano will.

totti will be back.

just my opinion on that matter.

1 - 20 of 169 Posts