Xtratime Community banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
9,958 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Saturday 26th February 2005, 15:00 at Ibrox.

PREVIEW

With Scottish Cup games being played this weekend Rangers have taken advantage of the free date in the calendar to play a league game. Originally penned in for 19 March, the weekend Rangers play in the CIS Cup final, Rangers have moved their home game with Killie forward to this weekend.

It gives Rangers the chance to move 6 points ahead of Celtic at the top albeit having played two more games. As well as winning this game it is also vital that we hit the back of the net as often as possible to ensure we extend the goal difference advantage we have.

Code:
[b]SCOTTISH PREMIER LEAGUE 

KILLIE

Kilmarnock are having an inconsistent season and remain one of the clubs yet to take points off either of the Old Firm. They've lost heavily twice to Hearts in recent weeks too after a decent spell. They currently are 7th in the SPL.

They've won 2 of their last 5 off the back of 3 wins but that had followed a long period without 3 points.

• 2-1 Dunfermline (Home)
  • 0-3 Hearts (Away)
  • 0-1 Celtic (Home)
  • 0-3 Hibs (Away)
  • 2-0 Motherwell (Home)

RANGERS

Still only one league defeat which stretches our unbeaten league run to 22 games this season. We remain unbeaten at home too.

• 2-0 Celtic (Away)
    [*]3-0 Hibernian (Home)
    [*]3-0 Livingston (Home)
    [*]2-1 Aberdeen (Away)
    [*]3-0 Dunfermline (Home)

HEAD TO HEAD THIS SEASON

Two wins out of two this season against Jim Jeffries men and not a goal against yet. We have a better side this time too which should get us victory.

SPL, matchday eight (3rd Oct 2004)
Rangers 2(1)-(0)0 Kilmarnock
Andrews 10, Novo 82

SPL, matchday nineteen (19th Dec 2004)
Kilmarnock 0(0)-(1)1 Rangers
Arveladze 16

THE TEAM

Arveladze and Lovenkrands are apparently back for this one but I doubt it will matter. I'd presume McLeish will go with his strongest 11, below, but then again with a trip to Tynecastle following next week he may want to rest some players. Alex Rae, Stevie Thompson, Zurab Khizanishvili, Bob Malcolm and Maurice Ross may be in with a shout if that is the case.

----------------Waterreus

---------Kyrgiakos--------Andrews

Hutton---------------------------------Ball

---- Ricksen------Fergsuon------Vignal

----------------Buffel

--------------Prso--------Novo

Prediction: 4-0 to Rangers.

·
Registered
946 Posts
Kilmarnock at Ibrox has always been one of the fixtures in which I expect a difficult game. I remember Killie beating us on the penultimate day of the 1997/98 season, killing our Ten-in-a-Row hopes.

They beat us 3-0 a few years ago as well.

But we did well against Celtic. We should win on Saturday, but you never know.

·
Registered
7,978 Posts
The crowd should be up for this after our last win (forget who we were playing). As much as it pains me to admit, being top of the league is a bit of a novelty these days, and I remember what the atmosphere was like when we beat Hearts to go top earlier in the season.

Should be a routine victory. It's really important that we keep everyone fit, and i'm a bit worried about Ferguson's groin problem. Didn't he have to have an operation on his groin when he was with us before? Anyway, it's not going to go away if he keeps playing every week.

3-0 Rangers

·
Registered
7,978 Posts
How many years has Lovenpants got left on his contract? Does anyone actually think he has a future at Rangers other than warming the bench for the reserves? We should have taken the £15 million Inter Milan were offering a few years back ;) Djordjic should be back in the next week or two, should he not? It'll be interesting to see if he can displace Vignal. Vignal will have to remain consistent at any rate.

As for Hutton, I read McLeish said he had a "sticky patch" and that's why he was dropped. Probably just trying to protect him. As long as he doesn't let the praise go to his head and do a Charlie Miller he'll be OK.

·
Registered
9,958 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I don't know when that sticky patch was because I think Hutton has always put in a good shift. Eck seems too quick to drop people on occassions.

Wattereus is a slight doubt with a knee problem so maybe McGregor will get the chance to prove his worth. Namouchi is not available after being send off in the Old Firm reserve game. Gavin Rae won't be available till next season at the earliest now- a new Prodan?

·
Registered
7,978 Posts
Just as we were talking about Hutton he gets his leg broken :moan:. It's really bad luck for Hutton himself, but also leaves us a bit short of quality at right-back. I guess Mo Ross will get a run with Khizanishvili as back up.

Anyway, at least yesterday's result brings us back to something like reality. We're not a team of world beaters yet, and have to take every game seriously. By all accounts we should have scored a few more but we didn't. Can you imagine how gutting it would have been if Killie had equalised? McLeish is right about having to learn to kill teams off. However, getting the three points is still more important than scoring x amount of goals.

The game on Wednesday could be a really tough one. I was impressed with a couple of Hearts Lithuanian players the other week. I think they may have added a new dimension to the Hearts attack.

·
Registered
7,978 Posts
chivo, how the hell do you do these match previews? :wallbang: I got down to Hearts last 5 results and deleted the f****** thing. Damn bullet points.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Looking for Prso's Goal

HI, RANGER Fans i will like to know if you know where i could get the goal against Kilmarnock Rangers all the way cheers!

·
Registered
9,958 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I thought Saturday was going to be Dundee United all ovr again, I mean the 1-1 draw at Ibrox and not the 7-1 thrashing. We were cruising without taking our chances bu credit to them for getting their tactics spot on. It was strange that we could not break them down.

I was hoping to bump up that goal difference but in the end we had to settle for the 3 points. Hutton's leg break is a real blow for him and us. No doubt Zurab and Mo Ross will now be fighting for that spot.

We must do better after two good displays against the two teams directly below us. Wednesday night will need a big effort.

Marco Negri said:
I thought Scotsport SPL would be on tonight. Durr. The goals weren't on Reporting Scotland either.
Scotsport is on Thursday this week so hopefully they'll be on there. I don't want to sit through that without a Rangers goal for my efforts.

Hns said:
HI, RANGER Fans i will like to know if you know where i could get the goal against Kilmarnock Rangers all the way cheers!
Sorry mate, I don't know anywhere to access it from. There must be some Rangers forums that will have it but it will take a bit of a trawl.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts