Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 205 Posts

·
Registered
19,782 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Nothing better to start this thread than our Capitano quotes:

"Next Sunday, I want a full stadium," he said. "We can achieve the record of ten consecutive wins and I want it to be a great party."

:jester:

·
Registered
54,575 Posts
I would love to go to this match but right now I cant afford it. im going Amsterdam soon so... but this I hope is a great occasion, I hope we dont disappoint, we want the win badly. The players maybe seem complacent though, but I hope they concentrate.

·
Registered
40 Posts
i wish i can be on this game ..:depress:
i´m so believed that we will set the new record on sunday..
my prediction is that roma will win with at least 3 goals of advantage... Let´s say, ASR - Empoli 4:0

·
Registered
57,710 Posts
Forza Lazio for this week eh ? :D

·
Registered
11,399 Posts
Mexes focused on Empoli and the record, not the derby

Philippe Mexès has dismissed any thoughts of the derby ahead of Roma’s match against Empoli, as the Giallorossi look to equal the Serie A record of consecutive wins.

Roma are on the verge of writing their names into history with a tenth straight League win on Sunday, but Mexès insists that winning the game is foremost in his mind regardless of the distraction of records or the upcoming Rome derby.

“We must get three points against Empoli,” he said today. “Although, now that we’re almost there, the record would be a great achievement.”

Paolo Di Canio said this week that he would happily lose 7-0 to Fiorentina this weekend if it meant beating Roma in the following game, but Mexès laughed off the Lazio captain’s comments. “If he is happy to lose 7-0 against Fiorentina, that’s fine by us,” he said.

The 23-year-old then joined the long list of players who have eulogised Coach Luciano Spalletti for masterminding the club’s revival in the face of enormous obstacles this season.

“I know few Coaches as good as him,” he declared. “Now we all look forward to training and with this squad we will be capable of achieving great things.”

Spalletti has brought together a previously fragmented and disenchanted squad and managed to bring the best out of them.

Francesco Totti, Simone Perrotta and Amantino Mancini are just three of the players who have been reborn under Spalletti’s expert guidance.

All of the above have done their World Cup prospects no harm at all – and the same can be said of the French defender, who has been exceptional in Roma’s rearguard this season.

“I’m not going to go mad over a World Cup place,” he said. “I’m just thinking about Roma.

“I’ve never thought about leaving here and I’m not yet satisfied with my contribution – I want to prove that I have more to offer.”

Roma’s run has launched them into the Champions League reckoning. The club from the capital now lie in fifth, just two points adrift of Fiorentina, who slipped up against Livorno last Sunday.

A win over Empoli would equal the previous League record of 10 consecutive wins shared by four different teams and last achieved by Bologna in 1964.

It would also set up a rousing Rome derby the following weekend, which would see them fighting not just for local pride but also a new all-time record.

·
Registered
54,575 Posts
1 CURCI GIANLUCA
2 PANUCCI CHRISTIAN
3 BOVO CESARE
4 KUFFOUR SAMUEL OSEI
5 MEXES PHILIPPE
7 ALVAREZ EDGARD ANTHONY REYES
8 AQUILANI ALBERTO
9 MONTELLA VINCENZO
10 TOTTI FRANCESCO
11 TADDEI FERRANTE RODRIGO
13 CHIVU CRISTIAN
14 KHARJA HOUSSINE
15 DACOURT OLIVIER
16 DE ROSSI DANIELE
17 TOMMASI DAMIANO
20 PERROTTA SIMONE
28 ROSI ALEANDRO
30 AMANTINO MANCINI
32 MARANGON ALEXANDER „DONI“

-------------------------------------

Good squad for the game, we now have a proper striker who can come off from the bench in this game and a strong squad of 19 players.

My team would be....

Doni; Panucci, Kuffour, Chivu, Bovo; De Rossi, Aquilani; Taddei, Perrotta, Mancini; Totti.

Bench: Curci, Mexes, Alvarez, Dacourt, Tommasi, Rosi, Montella.

I would give Mexes a rest and I am considering giving Mancini one also, but then I decided that Mancini can be rested in the UEFA Cup game during the week. I think this game is important for number 10 to rest too many top players.

·
Rated [D] for Danger
5,472 Posts
this is a very important match because a loss here would have a much bigger psychological impact on the players than just an end of a streak. despite what the players say to the press they must want their place in history and so want the record badly, so losing here after getting so close would feel close to losing in a final and would be hard to shrug off. everything but the fact that we have to lose sometime says that they can do it, however even if they couldn’t, this unit has shown heart and character beyond measure and gave us back what we thought we would not find so soon, they might be just fine regardless of the pressure and no matter the outcome.

·
Registered
19,782 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
One other good thing about this winning streak is that it brought back some of this forum old members :)

nice to read your posts again Of wolf and Man. Stick around!

Whatever happens.. Forza Romaaaa!!

1 - 20 of 205 Posts