Xtratime Community banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,964 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Official Lineup:

Great to see the attacking trio start again, Demiral also starting! Can't be that excited with Danilo though.

Samp have both Quag and Gabbiadini on the bench, while Audero starts in goal.

·
Registered
2,964 Posts
Discussion Starter #2

How on earth did Cris score that header? The height and being suspended on air for so long to take the header is just ridiculous.

Great performance by Rabiot, he has really come far since those sloppy performances during the beginning of the season.

Beautifully taken goal by Dybala, only disappointments were probably Higuain and Pjanic.

Demiral was again a monster, however he needs to calm down to avoid giving away stupid fouls in dangerous areas or penalties.

·
Administrator
52,350 Posts
He defied gravity in that shit, he just decided I will remain airborne for a while until ball comes to me. Absolute freak.

·
Registered
2,964 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
There's an improvement in the overall play during the last 3 matches, and slowly Sarri's plans for the team are starting to show up. Hopefully performances continue to improve even further with time and players like Ramsey and Costa remain injury free as they will surely be needed. Players like Cristiano and Dybala won't keep such levels throughout the whole season, so others need to step up when needed.

It might have taken a lot of time to get such team performances on a regular basis, but we are still on top in the league and also qualified top of the CL group. Once the team really 'clicks' we will start enjoying the team as well as the results (hopefully!)

After watching Demiral and Rabiot in the last couple of matches I can't help but think of the strength and depth of this squad. Having Chiellini out injured for so long is giving Sarri the time to test other options and so far de Ligt and Demiral will have to fight for their spot in the team. Similarly, Sarri has good options in midfield and maybe the optimal choice will eventually be Rabiot-Pjanic-Bentancur even though Matuidi is Indispensable for Sarri at the moment.

·
Registered
17,518 Posts
It's a very good squad.

I'd say we're only missing a marquee, world class two-way midfielder and we'd be up there with one of the best squads in the world. And De Ligt has to keep improving.

·
Registered
453 Posts
I'm wondering, why is Pijanic played as a regista? and why is Bernardeschi considered a playmaker?

·
Administrator
52,350 Posts
Pjanic has played as a regista since he came, Allegri considered him like a Pirlo type player. Only playmaker we had so made since to play him there, instead of mezzala role with more running and attacking.

For Bernardeschi, he has played as AMC because Costa and Ramsey are allways injured, plus we don't play with wing formation for the attackers sake. But he is incredibly useless and terrible player, so thank God we using Dybala in his role now.

·
Registered
453 Posts
I don't follow the team, but aren't they being underutilized by playing them that way?
Pjanic was tried in a deeper role at Roma and he failed to have the same impact he had while playing as a mezzala or in the hole behind the attack, and while I'm not as familiar with Bernardeschi as I am with Pjanic, he was doing well as a winger before he moved to Juventus so could it be that his form is impacted by the team tactics and the role he's playing rather than a display of what he can really do?

·
Administrator
52,350 Posts
I watched Roma back in the day, I was unimpressed with Pjanic as AM, has the technique and creativity, but didnt seem to be consistently much of a goal goal threat or mobile penetrating player (tho he was always inconsistent since Lyon days), more of slow quick passing type then a runner that attacks with the ball. Quick thinker that dictates tempo, which he did as playmaking CM mezzala too for you.

It's only natural that Allegri immediately saw him as regista post Pirlo era (and Sarri using him there more now, he gives him even more freedom). He has been top player for Juve in this role, despite remaining inconsistent. His 2016-2017 season was marvellous, and he has had some some strong games in CL in this role too. Even if he disappears elsewhere for couple months every season.

For him to be used as Mezzala, which isnt a must really for his skillset, he needs to play in a team with the holding player is a traditional DM, like they do in Spain, England etc. Then Pjanic can orchestrate in nr 8 Xavi type role. But some Italian coaches love their regista system.

For Bernardeschi, I'm not gonna bother excusing away his ineptitude, he has gotten all the leeway and patience humanly possible in 18 months of really bad performances that drastically get worse and worse. And in that time, he has played as right winger 90% of the time. He has only been played as AM/Trequartista in just recent couple months, this is a formation we changed to because Costa been out injured, and Dybala fits better playing in (or behind) 2 man attack line. So essentially Bernardeschi who used to occasionally start as winger, went to nonstop starter out of sheer convenience, no other winger or AM healthy. And Sarri specifically said he wants to try him in this role to give reinvent him, give him a new beginning (read, he has been really bad as winger), guess what? The only thing new is how shockingly worse he can be on the pitch, while starting every damn game (only recently Sarri had to play Ronaldo, Dybala and Higauin together because it was impossible to continue on with Berna).

Honest to God, just watch him play once, dont have to be weekly like us. You will be in for a treat.

·
Registered
453 Posts
I understand that in football numbers don't always represent a player's true impact on a team. however, and despite his physical limitations, Pjanic produced his best statistics while at Roma (30 goals and 43 assists in 185 matches) and the best of it was in his last season with Roma in 15/16 scoring 10 and assisting 12 while playing as a mezzala (that season's squad was amazing :cry:). that's why I think playing him behind the attackers, as a mezzala, or in a double pivot with a more defensive partner would maximize his output and be translated to more scored goals (not that I want that :p). which is why the rumored Kulusevski deal has me scratching my head, you could use a defensive midfielder and you don't need another right winger.

I'll take your word on Bernardeschi, he was good with Fiorentina and I wouldn't have minded it if he joined Roma back then. maybe he could restart his career elsewhere?

·
Registered
17,518 Posts
If we're playing a 4-3-3 like we do most consistently nowadays, a mezzala would most likely need to be a box-to-box, two-way midfielder with particularly good offensive capabilities.

I don't think Pjanic fits that mold, and he doesn't have the athleticism to do it. He could probably play as trequartista but he's been played further back for such a long time at Juve, shifting him now doesn't make much sense. He also does play the regista role quite well.

I think the Kulusevski transfer is more about trying to find a younger, more physically reliable version of D. Costa, someone who can play as a wing forward in a front 3 or as AM in between the lines. It can also be seen as us perhaps moving on from Bernadeschi, as he's also someone who could replace a lot of what he brings and bring more in terms what he's not been able to bring to the team consistently.

I'm not convinced Kulusevski passes the eye test, and i'd have preferred focusing on getting a box-to-box player, but i can see why they got them.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts