Xtratime Community banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,961 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

The team needs to wake up and smell the coffee, performances like the one against Sassuolo won't win us the Scudetto or get us anywhere in Europe. Despite Napoli's freefall playing to our advantage, Inter are breathing under our necks and we can't afford any more slip ups.

Lazio has always been a tricky team for us specially with Immobile in such a great form. They have won 6 consecutive matches, are the league's top-scorers with 33 goals and only 14 conceded. Immobile has ridiculously scored 17 goals so far.

But maybe such a match is what we need to motivate the players and finally come up with a convincing performance.

Messi winning the Balon D'or and Van Dijk's controversial comments regarding Cristiano should also motivate the big man to finally step up and be counted.

There shouldn't be any midweek CL distractions as we have already topped the group and need complete focus on this match.

According to GdS, De Sciglio is favourite to start ahead of Cuadrado at RB

·
Administrator
52,307 Posts

Another day, another start for the insanely awful Berna...

Tho I'm more worried about De Sciglio starting instead of Cuadrado (because the horrible Berna's superior options are injured in costa and ramsey), because Cuadrado is usually our only wide threat when starting. This team will be too centralized and predictable without him.

·
Registered
2,961 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Oh Gosh, wonder how much Khedira and Berna's agents are paying Sarri

·
Registered
17,516 Posts
Sometimes people surprise you, Allegri surprised me.

Sarri, seems to have all the faults and deficiencies i thought he had.
\
Pochettino is on the market and he has Piedmontese roots.

·
Registered
2,961 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I don't think the first defeat of the season calls for firing Sarri,

For the CL match the only fit midfielders are Pjanic and Matuidi.

Rabiot, Ramsey, Khedira, Bentancur are all out injured with Emre Can is unavailable.

·
Registered
17,516 Posts
I think the fact that we're almost halfway through the season and we don't seem to be improving at all does calls for a reassessment of his position.

I don't expect him to be fired but the fact we've lost first place and the winter break is close should certainly be cause for concern.

·
Registered
2,961 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
TS has run a comparison between this season and the previous 8 Scudetto winning seasons:

The team has 7 less points compared to last season, scored 6 less goals and conceded 7 more goals.

Last season Allegri was in his 5th season, whereas Sarri is in his 1st so it is not fair to make that comparison.

Also, I think what is not helping Sarri this season is Cristiano's form, he has been less effective compared to last season.

If we take the average of number of points for all 8 seasons then that figure is 35.875 which is almost exactly how many points we currently have in this season so far (36).

I think the team is currently playing only to 40% of it's true potential, whereas teams like Inter are amazingly playing at 120%. How long can they keep it up would be interesting, whereas how long it will take for us to really take off is also interesting.

It must also be noted that our performances in Europe have been improved compared to previous seasons, comfortably topping the group with 1 round yet to be played.

·
Registered
17,516 Posts
But we've not looked convincing in Europe either.

The results might be good, but defensively we look fragile and offensively we've been almost entirely dependent on individual moments of brilliance.

We'll see what happens with the league, but what's also telling is we've scored the least and conceded the most when compared with previous seasons.

I understand it's his first season but there just doesn't seem to be much improvement.

·
Registered
2,961 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
What is well known is that Allegri's teams are much more organized, at least in the defensive phase and once the ball is lost everyone takes shape defensively and goes behind the ball whereas with Sarri more risks are taken and the players are asked to push and pressure the opposing players. So I'm not surprised that we were stronger defensively. Also the loss of Chiellini had a huge effect, and the amount of time needed for de Ligt to transition to the new league and new team and playing on the left side of the defence instead of his natural right position led to errors and goals conceded.

It would be interesting to see the number of chances created this season versus past seasons as I feel we had more chances this season but the poor form of the forwards (Cristiano?) means alot of those chances were missed. So hopefully, once the form of the attackers improve the number of goals scored will improve considerably.

·
Registered
17,516 Posts
Someone hasn't realized that certain smilies don't work any more. lol.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts