1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
269 Posts
Jeff said:
Anybody see this match?

Please write us a report.

I'll be watching the official "MatchCast":
I'll be watching the match "live" on the Spanish language channel Galavision. :cool: I watched the Norway - Brazil match on Galavision and the announcer lost it when Marianne Pettersen scored her goal just before the end of the first half. I got excited just listening to him call the game even though I didn't understand most of the Spanish.

·
Registered
269 Posts
4-4-2 Formation for Norway

Norwegian Coach Åge Steen has made a couple of changes to his lineup after Wednesday's loss to Brazil. Marit Fiane Christensen will get her first start of this World Cup and will replace Gunhild Følstad at right back. Also back in Norway's starting lineup will be Lise Klaveness along with Trine Rønning who started instead of Klaveness against Brazil. Both Anita Rapp and Linda Ørmen will start the match on the bench as Norway goes from a 4-3-3 to a 4-4-2 formation.

Norway (4-4-2): Bente Nordby - Marit F. Christensen, Monica Knudsen, Ane Stangeland, Brit Sandaune - Solveig Gulbrandsen, Trine Rønning, Lise Klaveness, Unni Lehn - Marianne Pettersen, Dagny Mellgren.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Here's the link to an article previewing tomorrow's match:

Norway must rebound for quarterfinal berth
Norway needs a solid win to book a berth in one of the quarterfinal games at Gillette next Wednesday. France (1-0-1, 3 pts.) is still in the hunt.

A French victory over Brasil combined with a Norwegian win would leave the three teams tied on points. Brasil would have the inside track to first place with large lead in goal differential (+6). France and Norway are even at -1.
I like Norway's chances to do better against South Korea than France does against Brazil. :)

·
Registered
269 Posts
Home Field Advantage For Dagny

Dagny Mellgren is happy to be back in Boston for Norway's final Group B match vs. South Korea. Here's the link to a "toppserien.com" article about Dagny being back in Boston that includes a picture of Dagny giving an interview:

Mellgren på hjemmebane

The article mentions that Dagny had already moved out of her apartment that was near Fenway Park and that she is staying with the rest of the Norway's National Team in Needham.

Dagny hasn't had much time for getting in contact with people she know in the Boston area, but hopes to do that on Sunday when the players have some free time. Dagny also plans to do some shopping. :)

·
Second Place Winner, February 2013 XT Photo Conte
6,300 Posts
well well well Lisa Simpson was right when she said "When the going gets tough, the tough goes shopping." :D

Btw, I love Andreas Cantor too. He's the Argentine town crier of scores on Galavison for this (and the previous) WWC. He also commentates on Telemundo's Sunday afternoon soccer matches and worked the last several World Cups (some of you probably remember how despondent he got when the Argies went out weeping).

·
Registered
4,742 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the reports, Jeff.

Well, it didn't take Norway long to get the first goal - 1-0 for Gulbrandsen after 5 minutes!

Did you ever find out why Lise Klaveness was benched?

·
Registered
4,742 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
4-0 at the half, and now only a miracle could stop Norway from advancing.

If teams are equal on points after three group matches, the tie is broken by the following criteria:

1. Goal difference in all three matches
2. Most goals scored in all three matches
3. Most points obtained in matches between the tied teams (head-to-head results)
4. Goal difference in head-to-head matches
5. Most goals scored in head-to-head matches
6. Drawing of lots

·
Registered
4,742 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So the hapless South Koreans actually manage to score a goal!

How did they ever eliminate Mexico?? :confused:

·
Registered
16,377 Posts
South Korea scored after a huge mistake by the Norwegian keeper Bente Nordby, however today that didn't matter, as South Korea was no match for Norway. The whole team did a good job, and Dagny Mellgren also scored a really beautiful goal. 7-1 was quite amazing, but also fully deserved.

·
Registered
1,782 Posts
Orange said:
South Korea scored after a huge mistake by the Norwegian keeper Bente Nordby,
I saw that on briefly, and to me it seemed like it was the defender that screwed up. Not correct?

·
Registered
16,377 Posts
No it was Nordby's fault for sure. The defender Monica Knudsen, did what she was supposed to do, clear it towards the keeper. However, Nordby was way too far out, and had not informed Knudsen about it. Therefore, the clearance went past the keeper, and the South Korean, running quite fast, could run past both of them, and easily push the ball into the goal.

·
Registered
1,782 Posts
Orange said:
No it was Nordby's fault for sure. The defender Monica Knudsen, did what she was supposed to do, clear it towards the keeper. However, Nordby was way too far out, and had not informed Knudsen about it. Therefore, the clearance went past the keeper, and the South Korean, running quite fast, could run past both of them, and easily push the ball into the goal.
Well, fair enough, but she's not supposed to kick it towards the keeper no matter what, she needs to see the keeper and aim.

I know that if I'd ever done something like that my ass would be on the bench the next game ;)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts