Xtratime Community banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Portugal Stars Banned After Semi-Final Uproar

Portugal's Abel Xavier, Nuno Gomes and Paulo Bento have been banned from Uefa competitions for a combined total of almost two years following the bust-up at the end of the Euro 2000 semi-final defeat by France last week.
Uefa have also fined the Portuguese Football Federation for attacks on match officials.

Everton defender Xavier, who handled the ball which led to an extra-time 'golden goal' penalty, has been suspended for nine months from international matches and striker Gomes, who received a red card for protesting at the penalty decision, has been hit with an eight-month suspension by Uefa's disciplinary committee.

Bento, who verbally accosted match officials, has been banned for six months. The Portuguese federation, meanwhile, have been fined around £70,000.

The suspension will coincide with the opening games of the Portuguese qualifying campaign for the 2002 World Cup, robbing the team of three first-teamers. It also applies to Champions League and Uefa Cup games.

"The referees were pushed and harassed by Portuguese players, suffering bruises and scratches of some consideration," Uefa said in a statement.

Portuguese players were furious when a penalty was awarded against Xavier for handball. They suggested they were victims of a plot to ensure the big names of European soccer made the final.

"We are a small country that many people don't want to see in the final," Luis Figo claimed after the match. "We've kept our dignity, but we're going home and the others are staying. Uefa must be very happy."

The Portuguese were outraged when the linesman persuaded Austrian referee Guenter Benko to award a penalty after the ball bounced off the arm of Xavier in extra time.

Zinedine Zidane converted the spot kick, and under the 'golden goal' rule, Portugal were out.

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
The question is - when they say banned from 'UEFA' competition for x months, does that include the WC qualifiers? Are the players actually banned from anything?

Anyway, how the hell does Xavier get nine months? I don't remember him manhandling anyone? Nine months for handball?

Rob Fernandes

L

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
This is bullsh1t!!!! Bruises and scratches????? give me a break, this is just UEFA trying to flex thier muscles and trying to make an example out of a small country who had the balls to speak out against them. I haven't seen the schedule for WC qualifiers but this has gotta mean these players will miss at least half of the games. I'm just glad Rui Costa and Figo weren't handed these kind of suspensions too or we'd have no chance, at least we can replace Nuno Gomes with Pauleta.

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That includes WC qualifiers as well as UEFA cup and CL if any of them would be involved. Why Xavier received 9 months is beyond me. I hope Portugal will appeal.

·
XT Oldie
8,397 Posts
if we appeal what good does it do?

Anyways the suspensions are not as bad as I thought. To replace Gomes put Pauleta and call up Domingos. To replace Xavier--> HELLO FERNANDO NELSON and to replace Bento put in Sousa and call up Fernando Meira.

·
Registered
964 Posts
Luis Figo and Nuno Gomes are selected by Uefa in their top 16.I think they should ask for themselves to be removed as Uefa did not want Portugal in the final.They should say that on CNN or SKY that would really make me feel better.
Portugal should not protest to UEFA but rather to FIFA as FIFA will have more of a neutral look at the matter.

·
Registered
964 Posts
AS for who should take those players places.
Beto for RB
Delfim for DCM
Pauleta Up front
Lets go kick some BUTT
UEFA TAKE THAT BANANA OUT FROM BEHIND YOU.

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
These guy are really stuck up, unless both the linesman and the ref suffered from a very severe form of haemophillia then there is no chance they could get bruissed.
Now i ask myself why didnt desailly's stamp on figo get punished which was much worse than anything portugal did and so if xavier is 9 months then desailly should be life in prison or even execution!!!!!
So why were the suspensions so badly overdone? well in my opinion power and uefa want to show who is boss without losing money, coz lets face it xavier, bento and gomes arent exactly gonna bring in the $$$$$ for uefa but someone who is for portugal is figo who in my opinion was as bad if not worse by taking his shirt off and walking off nut why did he not get banned. Because he is one of the players who will generate most money for uefa and fifa in the world by sale of shirts etc. therefore if they were to ban figo less money.
Its a shame but all it comes down to is money!
P.S the suspenison will probably **** benfica up more than portugal as it includes the uefa cup and so atleast portugal have a resonable replacement but benfica have van hooijdonk who actually probably wouldnt be too bad but he will probably be on strike by september !!

·
Registered
2,191 Posts
I knew this would happen, but bruises and scratches!! As we all know this is total bull****...How do they come up with this stuff? And the bans are a total joke. Nuno threw his shirt at the ref, since when is that an eight month ban?
I dont really care if we can replace these guys, that was never an issue. We all know we have many talented players. This is a matter of principle. Uefa want to show that you dont screw with them, and put our little country back in its place. Even if the appeal does nothing, it will show we dont accept this.

SLB, unfortunately I think you are absolutely right why Figo didnt get banned. Which just shows uefa as the hipocrites they are.

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
SLB - with regards Desailly's stamp, I notice today that he got away with a nasty off the ball elbow on one of the Italian defenders. The TV replay shows it clearly to be a disgrace, but will UEFA take action and ban him too? Somehow I doubt it.

I feel sorry for the Italians. It may not be pretty but they came to win a tournament, not to win friends, and tactically they got it spot on.
For all the hype about the French, they were lucky to beat us, VERY lucky to beat the Italians, and don't forget Raul's penalty miss and the last minute header over cost Spain a result against the French too. And the Dutch beat them in the group stages.

I don't think they're as great as is made out, I happen to think alongside us Italy and Holland were better. We would have had a tougher time against those two, which is why I appreciate the feeling that UEFA have been willing the French on.

Going back to the bans for Nuno Gomes, Paulo Bento and Abel Xavier, even English people here think its a joke and cannot believe the lengths given. Perhaps UEFA are expecting us to appeal and therefore expecting to shorten the bans. We can only hope, but with UEFA I won't hold my breath...

Rob Fernandes

·
Registered
646 Posts
you can never beat the establishment.

we want to be careful, if we push this too hard, in 6 months they'll make up some reason to take away euro 2004.
(stadia not up to stratch etc?).

I think the bans will be reduced to say 3 months on appeal.

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Did Nuno Gomes throw his shirt at the ref?, I thought he was still wearing it when he was shown the red card.

Figo walked off without his shirt on I think.

I think Nuno Gomes and Paolo Bento will miss the first 3 qualifying matches, that means, the last 3 competitive matches Portugal plays this year, including a crunch match against the Netherlands of which the result could prove significant at the end of the qualifiers.

Abel Xavier is also banned from portugal first qualifying match next year, for now......hopefully Portugal will get a successful appeal. But UEFA are very very strict, they may have exagerrated slightly, but they won't tolerate it.

·
Registered
313 Posts
ARRRRRRRRRRR!!!!! I can't belive this is happening. So long 4 that!!! UEFA are lost giving 9,8,and 6 months and say they hit the refs.. lol I CAN'T BELIVE THIS :( :( :(

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
This is an embarassment 4 a governing body who's SLOGAN is 4 the good of the game all they think of is the money... Nothing else...

·
Registered
2,191 Posts
Gomes got a red card for talking. It was later that he threw his shirt. Apparently the ref got bruised from it :rolleyes:

·
Registered
5,189 Posts
This is farcical. When Paulo Di Canio pushed over the Ref last season in a Premier League game, I seem to remember (but don't bank on my memory :confused: ) that his ban lasted barely a few months. Now that wwas a SERIOUS offence, although it was the FA who made the ban.

If only 1 player had committed thhe offence, say, Nuno Gomes for pushing the Ref, he probably would of got a 4 or 5 game ban. But because it was the whole team involved...UEFA have to go and make the bans harder - unessecerily.

·
Registered
2,191 Posts
Yep, the whole team was outraged. It bugs me that people doesnt find something odd about that.. I mean, players dont behave like that when a call is fair, never. Take England for example, when Neville caused that penalty against Romania it also meant their exit from the tournament, just like the one for Portugal. But i didnt see the slightest protest from the english players then, because they knew it was a penalty and they just accepted it. Everyone should know that the portuguese team is not a team of thugs, as it is now being portrayed. That decision was simply such pure BS that Gandhi himself would have strangled the ref on the spot.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts