Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
16,828 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Two midfielders who were at big clubs in the early parts of their careers in the 2000s. Maresca had a pretty nice career outside of Italy and Donati's height was always impressive and would have been useful given he had skill to go with it.

Since these two players spent most of their careers outside of the top sides in Italy, I was hoping for a description of their talents by knowledgeable members of the Italian side of XT. I am guessing that in today's Serie A, these players would have more easily made it tot the starting lineup of their Italian sides (or maybe not).

·
Registered
45,411 Posts
Massimo Donati has never really been brilliant in any club different from Atalanta. I think he was overrated badly at the beginning of his carrer and kept being given chances at the highest level mostly because of it.

A younger Enzo Maresca would play in most of serie A sides, probably not Juventus though. The 30+ yo version would warm the bench in most of serie A club the way he did at Sampdoria.

So they are basically different. The first got more chances than he deserved, the latter didn't. Surely the different attitude of the two players was crucial.

·
Registered
17,504 Posts
I always liked Maresca, good all-round midfielder but clearly he burnt some important bridges early on and never got a chance to be a major player in Italy. He could dribble, pass, shoot, tackle, all pretty efficiently. I thought it was a shame he was sold, i think he could have had a similar kind of career as Tacchinardi did with us.

Donati i don't remember very well, that's probably because he never really made much of impression outside of Atalanta, when they had that notable generation along with Cristiano and Damiano Zenoni, Rossini, Bianchi, Ventola, and Zauri. Although i think all of them were a bit overrated to be fair, not just him.

·
Banned
9,221 Posts
Maresca was a hypejob at one point, i remember a few morons in the inter forum who wanted him.

Ultimately he was only good for about 3-4 seasons total in his career and after the first year at Sevilla he started getting worse and worse and havent stopped since.

·
Registered
19,782 Posts
Maresca was great for a season or two at Sevilla. I have no doubt he would've fount a spot at the the majority of the current italian teams. Donati was always overrated.

·
FINOALLAFINE
9,248 Posts
I always liked Maresca, good all-round midfielder but clearly he burnt some important bridges early on and never got a chance to be a major player in Italy. He could dribble, pass, shoot, tackle, all pretty efficiently. I thought it was a shame he was sold, i think he could have had a similar kind of career as Tacchinardi did with us.

Donati i don't remember very well, that's probably because he never really made much of impression outside of Atalanta, when they had that notable generation along with Cristiano and Damiano Zenoni, Rossini, Bianchi, Ventola, and Zauri. Although i think all of them were a bit overrated to be fair, not just him.
I'm a bit bias as Maresca will always be one of my favourite Juve players - mainly due to the epic Toro celebration against Torino after the terrific 18 yard header equaliser in 89th min! Forever a Juve legend after that! Was also outstanding in the great Sevilla side that dominated Uefa Cup for a couple years along with Dani Alves, Renato, Puerta, Kanoute, Luis Fabiano, Adriano, Marti, Jesus Navas! He actually also had a good season at Fiorentina after Juve as well along with Miccoli and Chiellini I believe.
?v=L3NS9I2Hkbg

·
FINOALLAFINE
9,248 Posts
Lets not forget the superb bicycle kick for Samp as well!
?v=tutaHGRjSwM

·
HEY, WHA' HAPPENED?
24,083 Posts
I just remember Donati being pretty pish at Parma.

·
Registered
54,575 Posts
Toni, remember the legend that never was, alex pederzoli?
Was meant to be the next Dino Baggio. Unfortunately didn't have a great young part of his career like Dino before he faded away :D

·
HEY, WHA' HAPPENED?
24,083 Posts
I'll always love Dino and be completely unable to analyse him fairly and objectively.

·
Registered
14,067 Posts
He was good for Parma in the mid-90s but started to decline early. By the time he came to Lazio - still under 30 - he was useless.

In retrospect, perhaps he was a bit overrated. A player who wasn't particularly good in anything but who happened to score a few key goals, like the one against Spain and all those goals in UEFA cup finals. I don't think he should have made the 98 WC squad, but then again there were many average midfielders in that team.

·
Registered
54,575 Posts
I guess the closest comparison for Dino was probably Motta right now in the way he played. More a DM, but was able to get from box to box also slightly like Motta does.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts