Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
2,901 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Materazzi punches Siena man

Sunday 1 February, 2004

Inter defender Marco Materazzi risks a lengthy ban after reportedly attacking Siena’s Bruno Cirillo following tonight’s game.

“He waited for me after the final whistle and punched me,” revealed Cirillo in front of television cameras on Sunday evening. “He split my lip with his fist.”

According to the Siena player, there will be a report on the incident as it was witnessed by an official.

“The linesman was nearby and saw the whole thing. Materazzi was picking on me throughout the game and every time I went past the Inter bench he would tell Kily Gonzalez to run at me as I was poor.”

Cirillo’s version of events gains credence with reports that Nerazzurri patron Massimo Moratti went into the Siena dressing room to apologise.

“Materazzi is terribly upset,” revealed new Inter President Giacinto Facchetti. “He doesn’t know what else to say, but the club will certainly punish him.”

Materazzi was on the bench, but did not step on to the field during the 4-0 win over Siena.

The Italian international has not played for several months due to a thigh strain and it now looks as if his comeback will be further delayed.

“There are contrasting versions of events,” added Facchetti, “but there is no justification for this behaviour and clearly saying sorry is not sufficient.”

·
Registered
4,219 Posts
Sure Moratti resigned and he would leave Inter to be run by other people :rolleyes: , At least this serves to show us that Moratti is actually dumb and none of what he has done was on purpose.

Please let Fachetti or some spokeperson for the club do his job, if he can´t get away from the day to day events such as this, imagine when we have another transfer market on.

Materazzi is a mordern day Super hero, I see no difference between him and G.W Bush. Zac better keep our players in check to many red cards and fighting since he got here.

·
┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌&#874
31,893 Posts
Still clueless.. what does a bench player got to do with the playing one.

Suppose Moratti went there as a fan.

·
Registered
45,474 Posts
Materazzi appeared yesterday night at Controcampo (clearly forced by the management of Inter).
Materazzi- "I'm sorry for what I did, but it has happened to me many times in the past and I have never moaned"
Piccinini- Why did you do that?
Materazzi- "There were the usual teasing on the pitch, then in the tunnel Cirillo run towards me and I feared that there could be a fight..."
Piccinini- So you punched him...
Materazzi- "No, it is not right to say so"
Piccnini- But... then... well, OK. See you etc.

So Materazzi said that he did what he did to avoid a fight!!! :eek: :rolleyes:
And later he did not even admit that he punched Cirillo...
:dazed: :eek: :wth:
He even added that he was lucky cause he could be the one to be hit. :stress:

Remember what Cirillo said: "I run towards Materazzi in the tunnel cause I wanted explanations about what he said on the pitch. He said to Kily "Dribble him (Cirillo) cause he is mediocre!"

·
XT Post Number King
111,120 Posts
Materazzi regrets Cirillo clash Monday 2 February, 2004

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Marco Materazzi has apologised for striking Siena defender Bruno Cirillo in the face after Inter¡¦s 4-0 victory.

The incident occurred in the tunnel after Materazzi, who was not even in the Inter squad for the tie, left Cirillo with a split lip.

"To stand here and try to explain what happened is difficult," he said on national television, after Cirillo had earlier done the same to show people his face.

"I am really sorry for what occurred because these things often happen in football."

Materazzi was watching the game from the side of the pitch where words are believed to have been exchanged throughout the tie.

"A few things were said, as they often are, and then after the game he ran towards me from the rear," added the defender. "That¡¦s where we clashed."

Materazzi is set to be fined by the club for his actions but he maintains they will stand by him.

"It is only normal that I have to pay for my actions but this club knows what kind of person I really am," he added.

"I¡¦ve been struck in the past too but decided to keep quiet. But obviously if I see Cirillo then I will certainly apologise."

Materazzi, currently out injured, may also face a suspension though as the incident was believed to have been witnessed by one of the match officials.

channel4

=================

Materazzi Repentant After Punching Cirillo
Inter - Siena | Latest News | News Archive

Materazzi (left) could be in trouble again (Getty Images)
02/02/2004. Inter defender Marco Materazzi has apologised after striking Siena defender Bruno Cirillo in the tunnel after last night's match.

"To stand here and try to explain what happened is difficult," he said.

"I am really sorry for what occurred because these things often happen in football."

"Obviously if I see Cirillo then I will certainly apologise."

Words were apparently exchanged throughout the match, and Materazzi added: "A few things were said, as they often are, and then after the game he ran towards me from the rear. That's where we clashed."

Materazzi faces a club fine and a possible suspension from the Italian FA.
SA Italy

soccerage

·
Registered
57,659 Posts
yeah yeah cry all you want babies.

If he keeps getting Bilanisti annoyed then...

FORZA MATRIX :star:

·
Legend
12,328 Posts
Kris, if you read a forum where the majority who posts in a topic are in fact Inter fans, you´ll notice that perhaps 1% has 'supported' Materazzi´s actions, while the rest of the Inter fans have condemned it. ;)

It was obvious that after Payman's reply, that Visca and Nerazzurri4Life would react in such a way without really talking about this issue.

·
Rising Star
1,065 Posts
ViscaBarcaInter said:
No mate, the question is why do Milan fans feel the need to slaughter every thing to do with Inter. ALL the time. I'm sick of seeing several (not one or two, but several) Milan fans insulting the club in our forum, in YOUR forum (????) in every forum possible. And for ridiculous things, referring to us as losers when talking about matches that don't involve us, insulting our players in the middle of a discussion about Juve or Roma, coming in to OUR forum to wind us up, having insulting comments about Inter in their signatures, insulting a player then dragging the clubs fans into the discussion as if we are all animals like Materazzi, implying that Inter is a club of animals, chokers, losers, mercenaries, over-rated players.....

Need I go on? I don't get how Milan fans, after such a great ( if somewhat lucky) season last time can spend more time insulting us than enjoying their good form and talking sensibly about Serie A without making jokes about us. After all, Milan vs Inter is Italy's version of Liverpool vs Everton. I don't know how you feel, but Inter's main rivals are Juventus. Always have been, always will be. Milan Inter was always about a more friendly, sporting rivalry. I for one wanted Milan to beat Juve in the CL final last season. (lesser of two evils and all that!) But it's hard to have respect for a club when it's fans go out of their way to offend us.

Have pity on them. The years in Serie B had such a profound effect on milanisti's psyche that to this day they can not recover.

·
Registered
12,570 Posts
I cant belive how pathetic some inter fans are. Defending your player when he is clearly in the wrong. Thats plain stupid. Matrix admitted that he punched Cirillo. The guy is a thug, he always gets into fights, this is nothing new. Matrix should be sold to some Serie C2 team, if they'll have him that is.
:rolleyes:

·
Legend
12,328 Posts
First of all, I have to ask again... Which people has actually said (UNPROVOKED) that they are defending Materazzi? :)

Second of all, aren´t you the same person that during these days has been defending Zebina, who has a history of punching people in the face as well? :)

But you don´t want Zebina to a Serie C2 team, I presume, by reading your posts about him. ;)

And for those who can´t read English: This was not a defensive reply about Materazzi. I leave my personal view of this incident to people who can read a thing or two.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.