Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Mourinho & Cassano!!
45,797 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, what is your opinion?

Okay don't get me wrong. He's fast as hell. Creates mismatch problems. But he couldn't break down Nesta and Maldini when it counted, and I mean, is he gonna get any faster? His skill is obviously speed. He's not that prolific at scoring either. Is he:

A) STill developing
B) ALready world class
C) Overrated

I want all fans to give their opinion since Inter fans are somewhat biased

I mean all these rumors- Gilardino, Torres, RVN, etc etc etc

If Martins is the real deal, why?

·
Registered
8,152 Posts
He will never reach the level of Adrianos Vieris Recobas Ronaldos etc at their peaks but he is a very good striker that is more than capable of scoring many goals in any league.

It really means what you mean by the real deal, Is he a genius or a potential great? No, but is he a very good forward that is a threat to most defences? Yes.

I would say he is as good as Torres, If not better. Its not all about technical skills all the time, I mean the guy is just to explosive to handle for most defenders and I see him as a 20 goal a season striker in Spain.

·
Mourinho & Cassano!!
45,797 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Many fans of Inter believe that Martins is going to be the next Adriano or Vieri. Look at Milan, getting Gilardino and Sheva. Look at Chelsea, getting Drogba and now probably another big name striker, Adriano, Sheva quality. To compete, we can't have a striker that you just described. We need two superstars. Is Martins the superstar that many Inter fans believe he will be or IS?

·
Mourinho & Cassano!!
45,797 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Faisal by your last sentences, do you mean that he is a Et'o type that could be the top scorer of the LIga?

·
Registered
8,152 Posts
You know being the 'new Adriano' or the 'new Vieri' isn't exactly easy, These guys are like greats/potential greats of their generation, You can still be very good without being on their level.

·
Registered
8,152 Posts
Yeah like that, In terms of effectiveness I could see him doing just as well goalwise even if they aren't the greatest finishers. La Liga defenses give too much space.

·
Registered
2,901 Posts
During the Juventus match, comments were made re: Martins' development. The comments were prompted by his lack of control when receiving a ball and further comments were made when he attempted a short pass to Cruz and did not hit his target. The commentators believed Martins lacks the skill required of a high level striker but that his speed and ability to turn a player compsneate for that lack of skill.

It goes without saying that his speed his greatest asset. What worries me is that it does not appear as though his touch or passing have improved. He still appears to be a one dimensional player in the sense that if he can not out run an opponent then he struggles. Not to mention the fact that the likes of Nesta and Stam were more than capable of controlling him (sometimes resortting to dirty tactics in doing so).

I am unsure as to whether he is still developing but then again, he is young and it is not as if he can not develop any further given the fact that he is not even 25 years of age. I do not believe he is overrated but at the same time I do not believe he is world class. I believe he is a good striker and all you have to do is look at his assist and goal at the weekend for evidence of this fact.

·
Registered
8,152 Posts
Yeah I agree completely, He relys mainly on pace and agression and thats why he will never be with the Ronaldos Vieris Recobas Adrianos etc.

But in the same way what he does well, he does really well and compensates for the flaws in his game.

·
Mourinho & Cassano!!
45,797 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Vieri wasn't exactly a technical guy either, all he has was speed and strength..and good heading skills

·
Registered
8,152 Posts
Better finisher aswell, Better positioning and movement, Phenomanal in the air with pace and power, in his prime he is better than Martins.

·
Mourinho & Cassano!!
45,797 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Martins needs some Juve Medicine before he can do some good on the pitch

Too bad Moratti is not Moggi

·
Registered
2,897 Posts
martins is good he hasn't really improved or anything but he can if he just learns from his colleagues and coaches

he has speed and aggression, all he needs

IMO maybe he should not be a starter but def would make a gr8 sub

man adriano-recoba is something inter should have done this yr

·
Registered
487 Posts
IMO his biggest problem is that he rushes things too much, he doesn't think enough about what he's doing. He just tries to do everything as fast as possible and although speed is his main asset it doesn't mean he has to try and blow past defences every time he gets the ball, sometimes there's a better choice.
Martins always looks like he's too pumped up and too excited, trying to do everything at one time, also, with his speed it's hard for him to keep his balance and composure and he messes up his dribbles and finishes a lot because of that.
Basically I think he's a skilled player who can become a great player if he can mature mentally and become a more intelligent player.

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
Pulsar36 said:
Okay don't get me wrong. He's fast as hell. Creates mismatch problems. But he couldn't break down Nesta and Maldini when it counted, and I mean, is he gonna get any faster? His skill is obviously speed. He's not that prolific at scoring either. Is he:
Puls, Martins has scored some heavy goals for Inter in derbies and has in fact "broken down" Nesta and Maldini on several occasions. Maybe his derby record isn't as good as Sheva's but it's better than Adriano's. And he's only 20 years old still :star:

You've got to give this guy a chance, he's hit plenty of goals even though he doesn't get a regular starting place in the team. He'd be the last player I'd let go of if I was running Inter. But with Moratti running the show he'll probably just swap him to Milan for someone like Borriello :jester: :D

·
Registered
5,947 Posts
Oba is developing. He won't ever be as good as Adriano. But he will make a great combo with Adriano.

·
Registered
3,384 Posts
oba isnt a STAR player like adriano or vieri but he does score a fair amount of goals. if you look at the number of goals scored and not how he scored them , then i would rate him very high. but i think he is developing still. he has a long way to go . he needs to improve on his dribbling , because whenever he gets the ball he seems to over do things. he tries to outpace his marker at every oppurtunity when it really isnt possible. he doesnt have good ball control but he has great speed.
with more training in the years to come he can become a deadly striker. if only he could improve on his dribbling skills he would be the most effective striker , may not be star status . he needs to keep a calm head when he gets the ball but at the same time he needs to retain his agression and pace .i am sure that he will become a class act in years to come . he is only twenty.
yeah even i think we should have used adriano-recoba.
in conclusion , oba for me is partly still a developing player and partly overrated.
he isnt world class as yet.

·
Registered
46,541 Posts
Pulsar36 said:
Vieri wasn't exactly a technical guy either, all he has was speed and strength..and good heading skills
Ha! You don't believe that. And take away speed from those qualities. What makes Vieri so amazing is his pure instinct for goal. He has this natural talent to be in the right place at the right time that many of the very best strikers lack. One of the only players you can compare him to is Batistuta at his very best. And unlike other one dimensional strikers who rely on their height and strength to score goals, Vieri can also create goals out of nothing. It's true that he wasted easy chances but there was this thing about Vieri where you just knew he'd score from this tough position that you usually think would be saved by the keeper. Two years ago, he was unstoppable. One of the very best strikers I've seen. And you shouldn't really compare him to anyone else, since he's unique. No one has that kind of striker's instinct. I said not long after he joined us for the 99/00 season that he'd be our next Meazza. And he definitely has been extremely prolific. Especially when you consider that he played under the ultra-defensive tactics of Cuper and guys like Tardelli.

·
Registered
10,624 Posts
Pulsar36 said:
But he couldn't break down Nesta and Maldini when it counted, and I mean, is he gonna get any faster?
:eek:

Pulsar, (and here comes my fav line), Have you even seen Martins against Milan? :D

In the Euroderby a couple of seasons ago, he gave Maldini nightmares! He scored the equalizer and was the only reason we came close to qualifying. Last year, he again schooled Maldini and scored a beauty past Dida when it was already late.

And in the 2nd leg Euroderby this season, who was it that was burning Nesta and Stam with every half chance?

ITs true that speed is his greatest asset, but you'd be blind to say that he doesn't have the technical abilities (Samp, Bologna, Perugia etc etc etc)

Martins is the type of striker that needs a pure playmaker who can feed him with these killer through passes in front of goal which he will capitalize on with his phenomenal speed.

I wont start mentioning all his other merits, but I will advise you to go through one of his compilations to remember what this guy is all about.

However, to me, he is still developing. In 2 years time, the guy will be world class. Mark my words.

·
Registered
8,988 Posts
Look at Oba. Compare the time he has played and the amount of goals he has scored as a ratio. I d say that it would be one of the most impressive if not the most impressive in the Serie A.

Although i still really do think that he can potentially be one of the best strikers in the world, if he gets some things sorted out. I have really seen lately that he has improved his dribbling skills by a long shot. Look at the last few games disregarding the Juve match which i havent seen just yet, do u really think that he hasnt improved since he came up the ranks from the youth? He has the ability to take on players much more easily now, which is something he couldnt do at the beginning of his career.

And hell no i wouldnt say that he has overrated. If anything i think he is slightly underrated. Seriously if he was overrated, we would be hearing offers from other clubs, which we havent really gotten up till now.

I think obviously his speed is his greatest asset, which does sort of equate for his less effective dribbling skills. Vieri was 25 or 26 when he arrived at Inter right? Martins has another 5 or 6 years to show what type of player he may be at his prime. When we bought Vieri he was really at his peak, form wise. Give Martins some time and i think he will show the fans why he will be one of our great strikers.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts