Xtratime Community banner

21 - 24 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
29,326 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
One shouldn't underestimate the language barrier either. I sometimes struggle a bit even with fairly mainstream films from Hong Kong or Korea, especially if the subtitles are in English, and I'm probably far less put off than the average moviegoer.

Hollywood did have these plotless deconstructed films in the '70s, post-Nouvelle Vague: Monte Hellman's Two-Lane Blacktop is like a Fast & Furious with extremely flegmatic drivers where no one cares in the end who wins the race. The Passenger by Antonioni is also sort of made in Hollywood, road movie/mystery with not much plot or resolution, Jack Nicholson's antics are at a bare minimum, and he seems not know what Antonioni's up to really. But I guess it's true that New Hollywood didn't go as far as Anatolia, even directors like Altman or Malick used more traditional stucture and pacing. And Anatolia at least has a murder plot unlike other Ceylan films.

·
1st Tier Poster
47,994 Posts
It's a low key story about a humble rural family. Except that the boy is an aspiring writer.

It's largely about his relationship with his dad and the boy's efforts to become a writer. There are some excellent long dialogues, especially when he meets some successful old writer and interviews him kind of bitterly.

21 - 24 of 24 Posts