Xtratime Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,901 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Surprising Verona turn their sights on Europe
By Simon Evans

MILAN, May 1 (Reuters)(DS) - Verona's 2-0 win over Serie A leaders Juventus on Sunday has allowed the unfashionable northern Italian team to dream of playing in Europe next season as well as opening up the title race.

Two goals from Fabrizio Cammarata gave Cesare Prandelli's side a win wich allowed second-placed Lazio to move within two
points of Juve, with two games remaining.

The victory also moved Verona into ninth position, offering them the chance of a place in the UEFA Cup via the summer Intertoto tournament.

The prospect of playing in an often ridiculed competition in July may not appeal to many of Italy's elite but it is remarkable that Verona are now contemplating Europe when just three months ago they were staring relegation in the face.

At the start of February, Verona were deep in relegation trouble, third from the bottom of Serie A.

They then embarked on a 13 match unbeaten run which has seen them pick up 25 points including a 1-0 home win over Lazio and a
thrilling 3-3 draw with AC Milan at the San Siro.

"Maybe some who watched the game talk about a mediocre Juventus but I just think that we were excellent in everything we did," said Verona defender Cristian Brocchi.

"Now we truly have the right to think about qualifying for Europe. The Intertoto is no longer a dream".

SECOND CHANCE
Brocchi, a hard working defensive midfielder, is like many of his team-mates enjoying a second chance in the top flight.

He began his career with AC Milan but failed to make a single Serie A appearance and disappeared into the lower reaches of Serie C, before Verona snapped him up and placed him at the heart of the team which won promotion from Serie B last season.

Sunday's goal hero Cammarata played alongside Alessandro Del Piero in the Juventus youth team before he moved to Verona for just $25,000, having never made the grade at the Delle Alpi.

And the player who sparked the club's turnaround in fortunes this season, midfield playmaker Domenico Morfeo, struggled at
Fiorentina and AC Milan before he was rescued from the substitute's bench at lowly Cagliari for a knock-down fee.

From this collection of rejects and misfits, Prandelli has created a side whose battling qualities have been enough to see off the millionaires at the top of the table.

"They are a fantastic group of lads," says Prandelli.

"Earlier this season when we were in great difficulty they didn't give up, not one of them.

"They accepted my philosophy and they got down to work. The determination, the spirit and the sacrifice made the difference. I am proud of them".

But while Prandelli's squad may be adored by the fans at Bentegodi stadium, they still have some way to match the achievements of their predecessors in the eighties.

A similar squad of young and relatively unknown players coached by Osvaldo Bagnoli stunned Italian football by winning the club's only Serie A title in 1985.

That side was carefully constructed over three seasons but such a luxury may not be afforded to Prandelli.

Already a number of big clubs are reported to be eyeing players such as Brocchi and Danish defender Martin Laursen and it is unlikely Verona would be able to turn down serious offers.
http://www.dailysoccer.com/news/text/done/20000501/mdf35993.html

Well, this article isn't that related to Parma. But I have heard a rumour that Parma is interested in signing Martin Laursen. What do you think? I never have the chances to see him play... argh, no telly!

I also wonder if you feel Verona is a bit similar to some teams like Vicenza (before the takeover of some English businessmen. Where is this team now?) or Udinese (with someone like Oliver Bierhoff) a few years ago...

Forza Parma!

Ciao,
Shanie

------------------
Forza Parma!

Shanie Yau
[email protected].de
http://i.am/shanie/

·
Registered
3,489 Posts
martin laursen, wel he's still young and pricy to now many big clubs wan't him, i don't think we need another central defender next to, Thuran, Cannovaro, Bennarivio, Sartor.
We also have Torrisi and Lassisi.
Torrisi won't be sold because was injured and
nobody want's him i guess.
Think lassisi will be swapped, loaned or sold
No not as good as Udinese but maby starting to get good as Bolonga or Bari last season.
They only have been so good after the winter brake when they bought Morfeo and Appoloni and Laurensen was getting injury free.

·
Registered
26,731 Posts
Laursen was solid against juventus,and he is solid and decent in general,but I dont feel he can offer something more than Lassissi,Sartor or Torrisi.We dont buy just to held a press conf. we buy players who will add something more to the sqaud,well Laursen apart from his nationality has nothing new to add.

We are also interested in Brocchi,I REALLY like him but I think he is "little" for a tram like Parma.But who knows,does the name Vanoli ring a bell? :)

------------------
The sun will rise again...and it will be...GIALLOBLU!

·
Registered
22,168 Posts
You may be right on Laursen AMO, but I just wanted to add that during this 12-13 game unbeaten streak Verona has had, he has been on Gazzetta's team of the week 6 times averaging 6,75 over the period.
What separates him from the other non-Thuram and non-Cannavaro's in Your squad is his stability. A player like Lasissi is never going to hold that standart for so many games in a row, and Laursen is THE best defender in the air I've ever seen. Add speed and intelligence to that and You have a best buy player. I really want't Juve to get him (not because of his nationality, but because he's rocking and only 22 years of age).
At Parma this position is obviously not the one to strenghten really, but if You did, I don't think You could do better with the kind of money in question.

Ciao.

·
Registered
26,731 Posts
Its easy to be THE defender in a team like Verona,because even if you allow 5 goals from Lazio,noone will say anything (look at Appoloni,he was useless for Parma,and he is the rock in Verona).Lassissi is an incredible talent Glen,and he gets pretty unfair critics for two or three mistakes during the whole season.Lassissi needs some confidence he had,and he has now lost.If we give him some we have the nesxt Thuram in our hands,and even better.

------------------
The sun will rise again...and it will be...GIALLOBLU!

·
Registered
3,489 Posts
remember Lassisi is still young so he can improve
But i don't think we should play him next year in the starting line-up.
Loan him out would be a better solution, sunderland had interest lately, surly they will find it too expencive to buy him so a loan deal could be set up.
I think this defence is good enough.

Sartor-thuram-Cannovaro

Or

Cannavarro-thuram-Bennarivio

Also we have again(i hope) Torrisi back he is anice back-up.

So in the defencive part no money to be spend

·
Registered
89 Posts
Agree with you, Willem. The defence IS good enough - the midfield is not. Yet... We should get Kily or de la Peña or someone similar with turbo speed to make Parma more aggressive in midfield.

·
Registered
3,489 Posts
Well kily G. would be good but he's more an attacking player we need adefensive player on the left wing, and De La Penã well he is really not big and strong enough better get Alex or Rui Costa or keep Stanic.
So one good tall expierenced attacker and many new midfielders

1 - 8 of 8 Posts