Xtratime Community banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Fuoriclasse
13,912 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
> www.soccerage.com
Marseille Willing To Swap Van Buyten For Zalayeta

04/15/2002. Marseille coach Tomislav Ivic is desperate to get his hands on Juventus' Marcelo Zalayeta and may be willing to allow Daniel Van Buyten to go the other way.

The Belgian international is one of Juve's number one summer targets and it was recently reported that the two clubs were in negotiations to agree a deal.

Bianconeri coach Marcello Lippi was also at Marseille's recent league match against Auxerre in order to run the rule over the defender.

Zalayeta, meanwhile, may be keen on a move to France in the hope of finding first-team football. He has been limited to cameo roles since arriving in Turin, and with Alessandro Del Piero and David Trezeguet the undisputed number one's in his position, the Uruguayan's chances of first-team football look remote.
I hope you don't mind if I start a separate topic for this, but it's kinda funny! And if it flops there's always the merge threads button, eh!!! :D

I've said it once and I said it again: Jean-Louis Dreyfuss is completelly out of his mind!! Not that I'm complaining though! It's good for Juve and it's good for PSG.
:happy:

So, what do you guys think?...
April fools, likely, unlikely, rocks, sucks ?

·
Registered
26,731 Posts
Van Buyten is quites useless though. And I doubt Juventus will not add some serious money in the deal...

·
Fuoriclasse
13,912 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
... Useless? :dazed:

Hmmm, I know for a fact that he's having a good season at Marseille. He's good, definitely. But don't get me wrong: I DO NOT rate him more than he deserves. It's just that the perspective of getting rid of Zalayeta and at the same time bringing in a young talented player appeals to me.

As for the terms of the deal, Marseille paid $ 20m to Standard de Liège last year and if there wa any logic, they wouldn't sell at a loss. However, the actual conjoncture is compelling Marseille to off-load. To sum it up, they have 44 professional players under contract (which is too much), they have huge economical difficulties (Jean-Louis dreyfuss had to go in front of the Commercial Tribunal and warrant that the club will not die) and have no choice but to part company with their most valuable individuals. If you want more details, I have a big article in france Football.

... but for now, I'm off to bed! :D;)

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
To say it with your words Stephaño, Van Buyten is no "Juve-material". Juve should swap Zalayeta for a young and talented Serie A player.

·
Fuoriclasse
13,912 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Agreed.

But there's a difference between Zalayeta and Van Buyten. The first one has proven he isn't Juve material, the latter is suspected not to be.

Now, I'm off to uni! Have a good day everyone... :)

·
Registered
1,782 Posts
i thought we had promised zalagol to perugia in the ze maria deal?

van buyten is a centre back, am i right?

is he much worse than iuliano?

·
Fuoriclasse
13,912 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Tarmpropp - Indeed, according to what had been reported in the media, Zalayeta was going the other way round in exchange of Perugia's Ze Maria. But the news hasn't ben backed with an official statement from the Juventus board yet, so all doors might be still wide open.

Van Buyten is a center-back, that's right.

Iuliano is better, no doubt about it.

Nuyka - Belgian international Daniel Van Buyten was born on November 7th 1978. 1.97m tall for 87kg. He's currently playing for Olympique de Marseille (FRA) where's played 22 times this season, scoring twice (in championship) and receiving 5 yellows so far.

Strong points:
  • * Scores on a regular basis on set pieces, à la Tudor.
    * Good with his head, due to his height
    * Good marking, rarely loses duels
    * Good positioning
    * Good tackling skills
Weaknesses:
  • * Clumsy at times
    * Kinda slow, hopeless against fast wingers.
    * Weak passing

·
Registered
1,782 Posts
i think that if iuliano is better we should leave him alone.
but judging from your report on him stephano i think he sounded pretty good.

judging from what amoroso said he sounded awful.

i think we should go with mexes

·
Fuoriclasse
13,912 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
AMOROSO! said:
Imagine a Stam who cant defend and you have Van Buyten...
Argument, please...

Originally posted by tarmpropp
i think we should go with mexes
Yes, he's outstanding. But unless an irrefusable offer arrives to his agent, I'm pretty sure he will stay one additional year in France in order to mature as he's only 20.

·
Registered
26,731 Posts
Van Buyten is nowhere near good enough for Juventus in my opinion. He is slow, VERY slow and apart from heading (where he is great) he is a very average defender. His positioning is not all that bad but the guy makes MANY mistakes, MANY stupid fouls, especialy when he tries to pass, his ball distribution is catastrophic. How many times does he pass the ball to an opposition midfielder? Do you want that kind of mistakes in Juventus? Moreover, unless he is supposed to be used in a 4 man defence, he is going to be a disaster as a man marker AND as a libero. He has no anticipation whatsoever and his man marking skills are very, very limited. He may be good at heading but during corners he misses his player many times! Good tackling Steph? His tackles are so clumsy, most of them are fouls...

His weaknesses will get badly exposed in Serie A.

·
Registered
1,782 Posts
stephañho said:

Yes, he's outstanding. But unless an irrefusable offer arrives to his agent, I'm pretty sure he will stay one additional year in France in order to mature as he's only 20.
that sounds good, as long as he comes to us after that. then i think that ferrara is going to be too old, and he can study and learn from montero for a few years before he takes over together with tudor

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
Why do we have to go outside of Italy to look for a defender?

We're still chasing both Cannavaro & Nesta, besides if we want to look for a young defender: Daniele Bonera, Paolo Cannavaro & Matteo Ferrari are good candidates.

·
Fuoriclasse
13,912 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Amo, you have some points and with the exception of the tackling skills on which I stand by my point, I mostly agree with you. When Belgium met Greece some weeks ago, he was not at his best and was indeed kinda goofy, so if you ground your judgement on this match, it's a mistake.

I once said he isn't Juve-material and I abide by my statement. But he could be a very valuable exchange item in a future deal.

mdelpiero10, Bonera has signed for Parma, I really doubt that Tanzi would be set up to sell such a brightest prospect as Ferrari. As for Paolo Cannavaro, he's not a defender.

But I reckon that there is enough young talents in Italy to fullfill our needs.

·
Registered
26,731 Posts
Paolo Cannavaro is along with Bonera and Ferrari the starting defender of the Italian U-21. ;)

I do not base my opinion on Van Buyten on that game (where he was indeed made look like a fool by Perugia's Vryzas) but the several times I've seen him play with Marseille.

·
Fuoriclasse
13,912 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
He is? :mute::embarass: Sorry for my assumption then, mdelpiero10. My memories betray me again, thouyght he was a midfielder. Mea culpa.

*amowhyyoufeckinhumiliatememan?* :D;)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts