Xtratime Community banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am new to this forum but I have been reading the new messages almost religiously. I must commend you all on your knowledge of the greatest club!
What is the current situation with R. Marquez? I think he would be benefit greatly by learning from Hierro and carrying on after the great Hierro retires.

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
This is the first time this has happended in a long time but I don't think we're looking for defenders right now. I agree that Marquez is a great prospect but unless one of our current defenders leave (unlikely, unless there's a megabuck offer), no new defenders this season.

·
Registered
10,086 Posts
I don't think you're right dwMB :( Of course our defending has been great of lately, but that was then and this is now. Do you really think we'll stick to the 5-3-2 formation? Do you really think Ivan Campo will keep up the good stuff? Of course you may be right, but Real Madrid can't afford to "HOPE". We have to have legitimate back-up in case something goes wrong. And that's why I think we NEED one more solid defender. Hierro will stay, I don't doubt that and there's Julio Cesar - that makes 5 solid and potentially great central defenders. To be honest I'd feel safer having that 6th one... :) (Beto, Marquez?)

L

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
labas is right Del Bosque has said as I expected and hoped with Real's attacking tradition that next season they will revert to their more common 4-4-2. In fact it is likely more of a 4-1-3-2 with Redondo just in front of the back four. In my opinion this is one of the most balanced formations around. Yes Real's defence improved greatly at the end of the season but this goes to show how good a player Helguera is. It also shows that Karanka and Campo can defend well but only with someone backing them up. When turned Karanka and Campo(in particular) have great weaknesses and it was great tactical knowhow of Del Bosque to notice this and played the team to maximise their qualities and limit their weaknesses. I must admit Karanka has shown improvements though he is a long way off world class but I still stand by what I have always thought of Campo and that is that he is out of his depth somewhat.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts