Xtratime Community banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3,481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Monday 29th April 2002

Striker Tomislav Maric was handed a chance to win a place in Croatia's World Cup squad on Monday when coach Mirko Jozic called him up for an international debut. "I have been waiting for this moment for a long time," said the Wolfsburg star.

Maric's goal scoring exploits in the first half of the season saw him picked to play against Bulgaria in February, only to be denied his chance through injury. But he now gets another chance in next month's game with Hungary.

"After the first call I had really bad luck," said the 29-year-old. "But now I've got a great opportunity to show my skills in the national team jersey.

"I'll try to prove myself, and if I secure a place in the team for the World Cup then that's an added bonus."

Maric, who represented Croatia at Under-21 level, was the top goalscorer in Germany's second division in 1999-2000 and was picked up by Wolfsburg boss Wolfgang Wolf from his old club Stuttgart Kickers.

The Croat looked set to leave Wolsburg after falling out with Wolf last summer. But injuries to the club's regular strikers earned him a start against Monchengladbach and Maric responded by hitting eight goals in four matches.

·
Registered
36,402 Posts
where did you read that?

·
Registered
2,690 Posts
hopefully he shows what he can do... he might turn out to be a flop, you never know but you cant lose anything...

·
Registered
2,690 Posts
nah, i like the guy really, but you never know with NT strikers... look at Rapaic or Vlaovic, they never played really well in NT, even when they were hald in high regards by every1

I saw maric play in 2 Bundesliga games... boy he was good...scary guy, I think he scared goal keepers which is why he scored that much

·
Premium Member
2,918 Posts
For a minute there i thought Silvio Maric was going to be selceted in the National team :D

It will be interesting to see if Tomislav can produce for the NT but im sure he can and he will book a seat on that plane to Japan/Korea ;)

·
Registered
36,402 Posts
I have to admit, you all may call me a 'regionalista', but I like the fact that he's from HB :cool:

Darned injuries, it took him 5 games to become leading scorer of the BL.

·
Registered
2,690 Posts
thats funny ;-)..I remember some1 bitchin how some ppl are "regionalisti" few weeks back

;-))))))))

I wish he does well, he played in 2 games since he came back, so he should be close to fit

·
Registered
36,402 Posts
he hardly got me there, there's a distinct and defined difference between being proud of your homeland, and insulting people from another region. I am sure you two are aware of this.

I am against putting someone down, but being proud of your country, region or football club should be encouraged. And we all know the popular sentiment towards BiH croats in Croatia proper, so it's always good to have a Maric, Stanic, Tomas, Kovac or Zivkovic showing everyone that we are still there.

wolf, as far as I recall, 'bitching' would hardly be the appropriate term.

·
Registered
11,166 Posts
Ero...you know I'm joking. Plus, as an Imocan I'm confused??? Are we Hercegovci??? Are we Dalmatinci??? Stuck in the middle??? Unwanted by either side???:D

·
Registered
36,402 Posts
Ah Jure, you Imocani are a-ok with me, I'll buy you a soda ;) and have a beer with you man if we meet up in Croatia ;)

·
Registered
2,690 Posts
you were bitchin, sorry dude ;-)

we use "bitchin" here in Cali a lot, so its not insulting term

·
Registered
36,402 Posts
nidje veze rode

1 - 17 of 17 Posts