Xtratime Community banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Chelsea defender Marcel Desailly could be set for a sensational move to Manchester United.

Desailly’s agent Pape Diouf told French newspaper L’Equipe that United manager Sir Alex Ferguson had enquired about the player’s availability.

"Alex Ferguson has indeed contacted me,” said Diouf. "Marcel is still under contract for two years with Chelsea and it’s up to the London club to give its opinion."

Desailly has been an inconsistent figure in the Chelsea defence since signing from AC Milan last season, unable to reproduce the kind of form that made him a World Cup winner with France in 1998.

Marseille are also reported to be keen to bring the 31-year-old defender back to France but it is clear that a move to the Premiership champions would be hard to resist.

"I'm aware of Alex Ferguson's initiatives and I'm flattered," said Desailly. "Who wouldn't dream of playing for Manchester United, even if eight other big European clubs are currently interested in me?"

"For now I'm a Chelsea player and I intend to respect the club which employs me.

"As far as negotiations go, it’s not only up to me, it concerns Chelsea and the other clubs and I'll be keeping close tabs on the situation.

"To say Manchester United is a priority for me would be a bit hasty because it’s an offer, prestigious though it is, among many others that have come my way."

·
Registered
17,028 Posts
although he might have maybe 2 good years left in him, surely there are younger players man u can get.

·
Registered
3,303 Posts
no need to do a Blanc twice. Last time Desilly was Desailly was about 5 years ago.
Do you guys watch Chelsea at all? His pedestrian/no pride/no passion performance in 5:1 defeat at Barcelona wasn't a one off.
Signing Marcel would be a huge gamble to say the least.

·
Registered
2,853 Posts
CUG said:
although he might have maybe 2 good years left in him, surely there are younger players man u can get.
Yup. When Blanc leaves we'll be lacking an experienced CB so there's some sense in getting Desailly but we can really do with someone younger. Let's hope Rio will improve next season. :)

·
Registered
9,811 Posts
Hmmm tough one but....

I reckon it would be a decent idea because we are lacking experience in our defence.

·
Registered
115 Posts
We need a natural young defender rather than pensioner on steroids lol.......

Just as an after thought here did anybody see what tripped Desilly up when Boa Morte glided past him twice a week ago?

·
Registered
17,028 Posts
Yup. When Blanc leaves we'll be lacking an experienced CB so there's some sense in getting Desailly but we can really do with someone younger. Let's hope Rio will improve next season.
experience is one thing, being past their expiry date is another.

Look carefully at your defence now though. You have Rio who has played in the CL for 2 seasons i think, played with Leeds as well. And he has played in a world cup. i think he knows what it takes to be good at the highest level and he'll improve on that. Wes is the same, he's been around since 99 hasnt he? he has the experience and will obviously improve. As for Blanc....has he featured this season? why do you need an experienced player to take over him?

Terry or Gallas would be better options IMO.

·
XT Post Number King
111,120 Posts
this is a 3 year old thread, man... :D

·
Registered
6,353 Posts
great pick up carson (36000 posts... what the **** have u been doing :))

i thought it was an old thign went it said they picked him up from AC last year

·
Registered
252 Posts
it is quite funny whoever bought this thread out from its three year sleep has confused alot of people;) :tongue:

·
Registered
579 Posts
I would really doubt this story. :rolleyes: The defense is probably the only part of the team that won't change much in the off-season.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts