Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Go for 400, Raúl!
2,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know there is a rumour thread, etc, etc, but I think that, this being a possible change in Real's policy, it deserves a thread of its own
The cover of today's Marca newspaper is fully devoted to the possibility of signing Nicky Butt. This would push Helguera back to the defense and most probably Bravo out of the pitch.
It seems Becks has highlu recommended that sign and Queiroz could have already said OK.

I don't know this player very much, and any info will be welcome.
But, especially, it is a relief that finally there is one sign from the White House that contact with reality has not been completely lost.

·
Go for 400, Raúl!
2,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I suppose that, if poor NIcky hasn't committed suicide yet, we could go through his name more or less easily :)

·
Registered
8,086 Posts
Gwydno,

I won't claim i know more about Madrid then you, but honestly, why do you feel that Perez will even considering paying any money to get Butt? I don't think Butt is available on a free is he? (and if so, that would be in summer, i assumed this talk is about a possible winter move).

Right now, any defensive help is a plus. I don't like Butt and i don't think he adds much, but he surely can tackle better then Guti, Cambiasso and Borja put together.

But we could have gotten Davids on loan, that would have been wiser! :rolleyes:

·
Registered
4,925 Posts
I think he is available at a knockdown price, last I saw was £5 million. Hes 28 and underrated imo, he is as competitive as Davids but not as hot headed and he would command much less wages wise than Davids and even what Makelele was demanding. Hes a box to box terrier in the midfield and I dont think it would be a bad move. He isnt the flair player Perez accused Makelele of not being though.

How much truth there is in this, I dont know.

·
Banned
23,575 Posts
Vampire Lestat said:
Gwydno,

I won't claim i know more about Madrid then you, but honestly, why do you feel that Perez will even considering paying any money to get Butt? I don't think Butt is available on a free is he? (and if so, that would be in summer, i assumed this talk is about a possible winter move).

Right now, any defensive help is a plus. I don't like Butt and i don't think he adds much, but he surely can tackle better then Guti, Cambiasso and Borja put together.

Pretty much said it all, also Helguera has been far from stellar in the mid, of course it takes time to adjust after all he played more than one season as a CB. But at least if Helguera drops back Pavon will play a little better I think, they used to play better together.

But hell I damn happy Davids went to Barça :tongue:

·
Registered
8,509 Posts
Go

it would have been a good signing if the butt could play in the championes league.
if we sign someone, we better have a player that can play in the UCL.
The bravo/pavon pair can try to handle most teams in laliga (its not that they can handle them, the team can handle the opposition with them as defenders - we are placed in slot No.2 in laliga), but as for the UCL, i doubt they can handle bayern/Milan/Juve/Manu and likes.
________
Csi: miami forums

·
Registered
17,451 Posts
I thought the winter transfer market has closed already? Guess I was wrong though:eek:

He's definitly a great tackler, he's a destructor in the midfield, kinda like Makelele (but no where near his calibre:eek: )

·
Premium Member
27,068 Posts
I will admit to never being a fan of N. Butt but since we have a small and mostly inexperience squad, it would be a good signing.

Hmm, Valdano would have to eat crow since he stated that Davids is not a crack signing for Barca:rolleyes:

·
Go for 400, Raúl!
2,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Vampire Lestat said:
Gwydno,

This has nothing to do with knowledge, Vamp, I was a simple parrot here repeating what Marca has said today ;)

Why would Pérez make this move? Well, it is precisely what it has of "strange" what made me comment this new with you all. The most optimistic posibility is that he has finally found a little common sense again. I think Butt wouldn't come for free, you're right, but if my news are not bad, he's not an usual at Old Trafford, so it can't be so expensive.

Finally, why not Davids? Well, maybe simply because Beckham and Queiroz come from United and know Nick better. Not a very scientific argument but I found it pretty probable. Would have Davids been a better signing? I'm not sure, let's see how does he play at Barça.

Whatever the case, the rumour seems so strange that it could even be true.

·
Registered
9,811 Posts

Born: 21/01/75
Position: Midfielder
Club: Manchester United

Came to prominence during an impressive series of displays for England in the 2002 World Cup, and has become a reliable option for Sven-Goran Eriksson.

Returned to the England starting line-up against Turkey and enjoyed a hugely impressive display at the base of the diamond formation.

May not be a regular at Manchester United, but his experience and solidity make him a serious option for Eriksson.

Butt is an ideal alternative for the drive of Steven Gerrard and the attacking instincts of Paul Scholes.

--------------------------------

01/17/2004. David Beckham has told Real Madrid to raid sign Manchester United's want-away midfielder Nicky Butt, according to reports in Spain.

Butt this has triggered a race for his signature after having a transfer request accepted by Sir Alex Ferguson earlier this week.

Tottenham and Middlesbrough are said to be leading the chance for the England star, but they'd surely be eclipsed by Real if they listen to Beckham, who played alongside Butt for a number of years.

However, Carlos Queiroz, who coached at Old Trafford last season, has insisted the club are not in the market for new signings in January.
----------------------------------

He's very underrated and he would be an excellent buy for £5million. I'd prefer to see him at Real rather than up north in 'Boro or Newcastle.

·
Go for 400, Raúl!
2,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Russell said:

Born: 21/01/75
[/B][/QUOTE]

He's 29? This won't help him, I think.

·
Registered
4,453 Posts
Nicky Butt is a superb DM and is very under rated imo!

Pele said he was the player of the WC02 Tournament and with the lack of DM players at Real, he would be a very good addition to the squad at 5mil.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts