Xtratime Community banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
6,529 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This was always a no brainer for most of us but it's nice to see Maradona's wonder goal in the '86 WC voted as the very best!

Article courtesy of AFP.

SEOUL, May 30 (AFP) - Diego Maradona's virtuoso second goal scored against England at the 1986 World Cup has been voted the greatest World Cup strike of all time.

The Argentinian's dribble from the halfway line at the Azteca Stadium beat off stiff competition from England's Michael Owen and Brazilian legend Pele in an internet ballot held on FIFA's official website.

Maradona etched his way into World Cup legend 16 years ago with his solo effort, where he bamboozled the entire England defence before clipping the ball past Peter Shilton in a 2-1 quarter-final win.

The same match also saw Maradona secure his place in football folklore's hall of shame, with his famous 'Hand of God' goal. His second however has entered the history books for all the right reasons.

In a recent interview Maradona said he would not have been able to score the strike if he had been playing against any other team.

"Thanks to England," Maradona said. "I scored the best goal of my life, in a World Cup, a dream goal, a beautiful, precious goal.

"I don't think I could have done it against any other team because they all used to knock you down," Maradona said, praising the honesty of his English opponents.

"They are probably the noblest in the world," he said.

The moment was immortalised by a statue of Maradona erected outside the stadium.

The goal earned him 18,062 votes in FIFA's poll, well clear of Owen on 10,631 votes and Pele.

Owen's nomination was for his spectacular goal against Argentina in the last 16 at the 1998 World Cup, while Pele's choice was for his second in the 1958 final against Sweden.

Other wonder goals to make it into FIFA's top 10 included another Maradona effort from 1986 - his glorious slalom through Belgium's defence in the semi-final.

Romania's Gheorge Hagi made it onto the list for his sensational cross-cum-shot against Colombia in 1994. Another lesser-known goal to rival Maradona's was the one scored by Saudi Arabia's Saeed Owairan against Belgium in 1994.

The talented midfielder picked up the ball on the edge of his penalty area and ran the length of the pitch before blasting home.

While goals scored through individual genius tended to dominate the poll results, there was room in the top 10 for Carlos Alberto's fabulous fourth from Brazil's 4-1 victory over Italy in the 1970 final, often referred to as the greatest team effort of all time.

·
Registered
429 Posts
I agree with the votes. Thats goal was breathtaking... something only a player of maradona's class could produce. That famous argentine will live long in the hearts and minds of generations.

Salute to a living legend... Diego Armando Maradona!!!

·
Registered
5,073 Posts
I would have gone for the Goal infamously called "The hand of God'.;) Apart from joking, the goal elected is my favourite too.:)

Long Live the Magician.:cap: :star:

Cheers

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
I have seen better goals than Owen's....

·
Registered
3,247 Posts
who could have a doubt about maradonas goal being the best ever?? (except some brazilians and diego bashers)

anyway, in a few days FIFA will award to Pele a prize for his cheap goal (in comparisson to diegos goals) as the best ever, but this will be given by the FIFA boys (platini, beckenbauer, etc.)

owens goal is good but there are betters, like the first of careca (brazil) against France in the 86, the "tijera" of negrete (mexico) in the 86.

may be im biased, but i believe diegos goal against belgium is the second best ever. thats also pure magic.

·
Registered
6,529 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I agree, Diego's second goal against Belgium in the '86 semi-final was alos very nice and it must rank right up there.

batigold said:
who could have a doubt about maradonas goal being the best ever?? (except some brazilians and diego bashers)

anyway, in a few days FIFA will award to Pele a prize for his cheap goal (in comparisson to diegos goals) as the best ever, but this will be given by the FIFA boys (platini, beckenbauer, etc.)

owens goal is good but there are betters, like the first of careca (brazil) against France in the 86, the "tijera" of negrete (mexico) in the 86.

may be im biased, but i believe diegos goal against belgium is the second best ever. thats also pure magic.

·
Registered
206 Posts
I would agree with Batigold and say that 86 was the best year for beautiful goals. Maradona's strikes against Eng and Bel, Careca one two with Alemao, and Manuel Negrete's side volley capped a beautiful 5 touches of the ball with a fellow Mexican where the ball did not touch the ground at all. Don't forget the Soviet Union's(can't remember the name) whose 3 goals were all 35 yard plus cannons. Butragueno did good too.

·
Registered
6,529 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Not just cuz we won it but '86 was a great WC.. Great football and some incredible matches ;)

·
International
9,526 Posts
czar said:
Another lesser-known goal to rival Maradona's was the one scored by Saudi Arabia's Saeed Owairan against Belgium in 1994.

The talented midfielder picked up the ball on the edge of his penalty area and ran the length of the pitch before blasting home.

In my opinion, this was the best goal I ever saw.

·
International
6,724 Posts
Re: Re: Maradona's 1986 wonder strike voted FIFA's goal of the century

Fred Elliot said:
In my opinion, this was the best goal I ever saw.
Yup, Owairan's goal was great. One of the best goals scored in the world cup, no doubt. Worldcuparchive.com ranked it as the second best ever goal scored in a WC after Maradona's. :cool:

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
That goal by that Sauditan is very, very similar to Maradona's second goal, almost as spectacular...

·
Registered
271 Posts
Bergkamps goal in 98 against us was the best ever. In a very short space of time, Bergkamp managed to receive and control very tightly a long high pass, get it round a defender and then lob it cooly over the keeper. And all this with just 2/3 touches and in the last minute of the game.

·
Registered
3,247 Posts
Russell said:

Owen was 18.
pele was 17 in 1958.

anyway, the players age is irrelevant. the goal is not more beatifull just b/c he is younger.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts