Xtratime Community banner

Maradona

35K views 189 replies 47 participants last post by  Monzon 
#1 ·
I was putting some links to some videos of Pelusa in the Whateva thread but I think he deserves a thread for his vids and pics here...just football related, not nonsense, specially rare vids or pics...this should be an sticky Loco...(and NOPE, is not a thread to be located in the multimedia bullshit, he deserves a normal thread in the main forum).

Apart from that, under his name, we can add other players, like Di Stefano, Sivori, Kempes, (if not we will have to make a lot of sticky threads) whomever that really made his name, so we can make some sort of archive...let's try to discuss some plays all in a relaxing way, enjoying it, compare capabilities with modern players, etc...

you can talk about football actually, nope?..I hope

I found this fella to have lots of very good vids of Diego, not great quality, but very good material...ENJOY

http://es.youtube.com/profile?user=kei16662

and this pearl from another youtube poster...

http://es.youtube.com/watch?v=--ACUzCCza8

See less See more
#2 ·
this is a good idea. I love seeing the old videos. My office gave me "FIFA World Cup 1978-2002" DVD set for Christmas.

#7 · (Edited)
A clip from 15 years ago on Australian TV. We recorded it and I've kept that tape ever since.

[tub]W59OBUlZ4so[/tub]

P.S - I'll be uploading some more Maradona videos to YouTube after I finish with Baggio & Zico videos. They're great clips, but unfortunetly instead of using subtitles they dubbed over their voice in English :rollani: Still great to watch though.

#8 · (Edited)
Diego dazzling his Napoli teammates at training sessions:
[tub]Wlv2p5ap5-k[/tub]

Nice video with his technique on show:
[tub]g9qzpwgx-e4[/tub]

Diego talking about how he takes penalties:
[tub]1UAQbzQviv0[/tub]

Diego about his freekick techniques:
[tub]eIxyW39ujGg[/tub]

Short about Diego and Omar Sivori:
[tub]8yAMJusBHy4[/tub]​

#11 ·
That Napoli training session with the tune "Life is Life" is one of my all time favourites.

This is one of my favourite goals of his, semi final vs Belgium. The art of dribbling and touch is now described to you by M10.

[tub]PFKYOMdesdc[/tub]​

#12 ·
You're welcome Fangio, and I've been watching those videos already :)

Here's another YouTube user who got in contact with me after I put my videos up. He has a few less seen Maradona videos as well:

http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=mazxs
maradona10 said:
That Napoli training session with the tune "Life is Life" is one of my all time favourites.
It's not a training session, it was the UEFA Cup semi-final second leg in Munich against Bayern.

Diego Maradona, Ciro Ferrara and Francesco Romano tell the story much better than I do:

[tub]NkJJ87PhwCs[/tub]

#13 ·
You know I am glad you've said that because it was the crowd in the background, for some reason I simply cannot explain I thought it looked like they were at a training ground but when you see him with full kit on, socks included part of me thought it was a match day. Thanks for clearing that up.

#14 ·
Jern Lizardhous said:
England beats the world champions, means we were unofficial world champions :happy:

http://es.youtube.com/watch?v=VvejocCjQKM&

this is the day England found out what the fuss was about.
That day he beat a few players and was one on one with Clemence, he shot but it creeped past the outside of the post.

He said when he got home, his younger brother said "why didn't you beat the goalkeeper?", and he said he'd done his best. His brother insisted, "no you had the time and space to beat the goalkeeper as well, why didn't you?".

That memory flashed back after he got the goal against England in 1986, he says subliminally he must've been remembering his brothers words and that's why he didn't shoot when Shilton rushed out of his goal in the exact same situation.

#16 ·
Jern Lizardhous said:
so we can blame the hand of God and Maradona's meddling little brother? :depress:
Nope, I insist you blame it on a certain Tunisian official who let him off with it :D

#17 ·
No only the second one :D

I'll try cut out the clips of him talking about that incident, and then a little bit about him and his obsession of handballs. He was saying something like "other players don't try and reach beyond their head, I did" :howler:

I'll see if I can get both of those clips up tomorrow sometime, so check back in here.

#19 · (Edited)
I hope we get to see some interesting information about some of the other players mentioned in the opening post, as it feels like the usual Maradona-fest at the moment. To kill two birds with one stone, here's di Stefano's description of Sivori (taken from an early-60s biography): "Sivori is a "genial" player but he still can't free himself from the trickery and he plays for himself too much". I have the feeling that there's a huge dichotomy between di Stefano's philosophy of football and modus operandi and what the Argentinian ideal is. Am I right? Certainly, in my head I can draw a line from Sivori to Maradona to Messi with honourable mentions to others, but find it hard to "place" di Stefano in that context. Some people even called him "el Aleman" (the German!) for goodness sake.

More info from that biography to follow, including di Stefano's best XI of that period.

#21 ·
When the holidays are over I'm going to try to collect some information on Kempes.

#23 · (Edited)
I hope we get to see some interesting information about some of the other players mentioned in the opening post, as it feels like the usual Maradona-fest at the moment. To kill two birds with one stone, here's di Stefano's description of Sivori (taken from an early-60s biography): "Sivori is a "genial" player but he still can't free himself from the trickery and he plays for himself too much". I have the feeling that there's a huge dichotomy between di Stefano's philosophy of football and modus operandi and what the Argentinian ideal is. Am I right? Certainly, in my head I can draw a line from Sivori to Maradona to Messi with honourable mentions to others, but find it hard to "place" di Stefano in that context. Some people even called him "el Aleman" (the German!) for goodness sake.

More info from that biography to follow, including di Stefano's best XI of that period.
In fact is more like a general archive and is good that is some sort of Maradona fest, since many here use his name and never watched him (at least properly, without prior judgements based on stereotypes)...more regarding this sort of vids and not the typical WC 86 ones...in such way many will at least get a glance of what means to have a real complete game and do in it with grace.

Even with a real flamboyant style in Sivori and over the top self confidence, Alfredo looks more jealous than anything in the quote involve here.

And there is not such dicotomy, the world knows of antagonisms since created, Argentina is no exception at all...and BTW Alfredo is far from be sitting on the other side of Sivori, Alfredo ain't an antagonist player in comparisson with Sivori...

Being him called the German means nothing at all (in general I mean, not that in Alfredo's case this nicks suits many stereotypes about German heritage)...4 generation argies still are call "el polaco", "el tano", "el gaita"...etc...and many times those nicks doesn't involve the general stereotype about a nation...Sachhi was more German than Alfredo, Passarella was more German than Alfredo...

In the same River team Di stefano appeared, were before him fellas like Pedernera or Maschio from the same '57 Copa America team of Sivori and Corbatta...less "emotional" players, more cold and strategical ones...

If you want to throw imaginary lines, you are missing the target Roy...Sivori and Maradona might belong to the same breath in many aspects, but not entirely...Maradona evolved in another player because precisly in those ages always was a Pedernera. Maschio sort of general a la Di Stefano

...is not hard to imagine that if in the days of Maradona he had one of those beside he could be more Garrincha or Sivori alike (well in fact he was in Boca with Brindisi pulling teh strings, him as wild card and Escudero as the typical explosiva very skill winger)

...but anyway, Maradona took other responsabilities and even raise the level of what those typical generals did...might be too that Maradona never was anyway even when just a child just a reckless wild card player, or a looney and playfull winger Corbatta, Houseman and in some aspects Sivori was too...

the only clear imaginary line is the one of pure wingers: corbatta, houseman, etc...

The rest of Morenos, Sivoris, Maradonas, Bochinis between many worlds..

The ones like Alfredo keep the flair and elegance but are more strategycal players like: Sastre, Pedernera, Maschio, Valeri, Riquelme or Lucho Gonzalez sort of style nowadays of our days...

Messi has more similarities with a Zico, or even with a Cryuff in style and approach than with Maradona, more with Zico...

And I suggest you sthg...watch the whole ****ing vids of that japanese fella, you will see the surface of what Maradona was, and not the general concern of a more succesfull Best...we had our own lesser talented Best and that was Rojitas, not Maradona...

And never forget that you are naming players that at least Europe knows (or remember)...names like Guaita, Orsi, Grillo, Maschio, Angelillo, Rial...Losteau, Bernao, Muñoz, and so many etc...are pretty much forgotten or unknown

#24 ·
If Kempes was left-footed there's definitely a pattern emerging. Confirmation anybody?
"Every writer "creates" his own precursors. His work modifies our conception of the past, as it will modify the future."

change writer with player, you'll obtain a more accurate pattern...

#25 ·
Ah, but Fangio you can draw an imaginary line between certain historical players if they are the ones who embody an ideal: if they represent how a nation sees and understand its football and what a nation expects and wants from its football. Audacity, brillance, magic and the fighter's mentality is what links Sivori, Maradona, Messi (with the left-footed thing a nice bonus). Di Stefano, in comparison, embodies power, versatility, stamina, vision (it could be worse - some nations idealise the vigour, strength and “manliness” of the Deans, Lawtons and Shearers of this world). I'm only slightly exaggerating when I say I've never seen di Stefano dribble past a man. In fact he never needed to and never wanted to. There's a quote from him where he says of Maradona - "Technically, on an individual basis, he is far superior to me in what he can do with a ball; my ability to cover an entire field and versatility is what I hold over him, though with the right training he could easily do the same." An amazing tribute. By the way, something I didn't know until recently was that altho he is of Italian immigrant stock, apparently di Stefano had an Irish maternal grandmother! Anyway, di Stefano wasn't a natural genius in the way some others were. He wasn’t a player to make your spirits soar in joy and appreciation of his "art" like some others. When he played in that famous River Plate team he stood out with his supersonic speed and execution. Somehow, in a short period of time, he changed and broadened the spectrum of his game. Maybe it’s a bit like the change in the Beatles in the short year or so between "She Loves You" and "Tomorrow Never Knows". You could theorise and say that maybe he was a sponge. Maybe he somehow absorbed characteristics from the masters alongside him - particularly people like Pedernera and Rossi who were also with him in Colombia – to become that incredible, efficient phenomenon. On the other hand, maybe he sold his soul...with the forfeit being his (relative) aesthetic deficiencies.

#26 ·
Ah, but Fangio you can draw an imaginary line between certain historical players if they are the ones who embody an ideal: if they represent how a nation sees and understand its football and what a nation expects and wants from its football. Audacity, brillance, magic and the fighter's mentality is what links Sivori, Maradona, Messi (with the left-footed thing a nice bonus). Di Stefano, in comparison, embodies power, versatility, stamina, vision (it could be worse - some nations idealise the vigour, strength and “manliness” of the Deans, Lawtons and Shearers of this world). I'm only slightly exaggerating when I say I've never seen di Stefano dribble past a man. In fact he never needed to and never wanted to. There's a quote from him where he says of Maradona - "Technically, on an individual basis, he is far superior to me in what he can do with a ball; my ability to cover an entire field and versatility is what I hold over him, though with the right training he could easily do the same." An amazing tribute. By the way, something I didn't know until recently was that altho he is of Italian immigrant stock, apparently di Stefano had an Irish maternal grandmother! Anyway, di Stefano wasn't a natural genius in the way some others were. He wasn’t a player to make your spirits soar in joy and appreciation of his "art" like some others. When he played in that famous River Plate team he stood out with his supersonic speed and execution. Somehow, in a short period of time, he changed and broadened the spectrum of his game. Maybe it’s a bit like the change in the Beatles in the short year or so between "She Loves You" and "Tomorrow Never Knows". You could theorise and say that maybe he was a sponge. Maybe he somehow absorbed characteristics from the masters alongside him - particularly people like Pedernera and Rossi who were also with him in Colombia – to become that incredible, efficient phenomenon. On the other hand, maybe he sold his soul...with the forfeit being his (relative) aesthetic deficiencies.
Roy I understand and share to an extent your point, but there is not a unique way Argentina wants their players, that is what I was implying...I might have my taste in what players I preffer to represent us, but I'm far from being Argentina for instance...seems obvious, but is not...

You will found now more than half the Boca fans that didn't like Banega as 5 at all and preffer other sort of player...

We aren't as homogenic as outside our borders many like to see us, neither are brazies...and Alfredo not wanting to dribble? nah, far from the case (I understand anyway the comparisson and exageration involve)...

"Power, versality, vision...etc " represents too an argie ideal...even just "mean mother****er walking menace" represents an ideal here, we have public for every role and style of play and usually every group? is vigogorously against the others...in the mix we are a mess or a powerfull representation...

won't be the first time I think we are the rest of the world ****ing mirror since time regarding football, mainly because we are a heavily "inmigrant culture" (every country is) but in just a few years we had inmigration/migration movements from everywhere and not a solid SELF, constantly altered and nourished by them...we are incas, armenians, turks, jews, english, italians, spanniards and germans...and we are not...in such sense we have room for many approaches in football and deep antagonisms.

BTW if Maradona for instance didn't had vision, vigor, power and stamina, he wouldn't be Maradona and these aspects were as important as his ability with ball in his feet...I know you used these terms as more predominant in some players, therefore in an style, therefore in certain imaginary lineage (and I agree that is needed this cosntant heritage to develope, create or just "have" some sort of players)...but sometimes when we draw this concepts we tend to forget that sometimes they were as predominant as other aspects that seems easier to spot at a glance in certain players.

And there relies the problem when we compare certain players like him with some dudes playing nowadays, they are not as complete.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.