Xtratime Community banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
12,237 Posts
Perhaps the better solution is to decrimalize all drugs, alla Portugal, and not invest sporting authorities with the ability to ban players over drugs that do not enhance performance.
That is a better solution than players not taking coke at parties, half of them probably ****ing trannies while under the influence?

Juve is a good match for you.

·
Registered
34,960 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The players' private life is really no business of ours.

However, IIRC, coke can be used as an ingredient in certain performance enhancing coctails.

·
Registered
12,237 Posts
Yes, Cacini it is. But I'm curious to know why think this is such a terrible idea.
Because your suggestion effectively grants cocaine abuse the status of an undeniable personal right the player has. Which it isn't. A professional athlete would be advised to stay away from alcohol too, but you think letting loose restrictions on cocaine is ok...crazy.

And I don't care that it doesn't enhance performances, in fact my entire point is it makes players worse. So they don't have the right to do it, end of. When they quit playing they can call up Lapo Elkann and have orgies with trannies then, spending all their money at that point when they only hurt themselves.

·
Registered
34,960 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Can he eat junkfood, or drink coffee, or smoke cigarettes, Father Cacini? Can he exceed the speed limit in his Ferrari?

Because your suggestion effectively grants cocaine abuse the status of an undeniable personal right the player has. Which it isn't.
It's not a right Levato presupposes for the player since it would still be a criminal offense.

Having sex with trannies is a right he has, though, in general.

:rollani:

·
Registered
917 Posts
Because your suggestion effectively grants cocaine abuse the status of an undeniable personal right the player has. Which it isn't. A professional athlete would be advised to stay away from alcohol too, but you think letting loose restrictions on cocaine is ok...crazy.

And I don't care that it doesn't enhance performances, in fact my entire point is it makes players worse. So they don't have the right to do it, end of. When they quit playing they can call up Lapo Elkann and have orgies with trannies then, spending all their money at that point when they only hurt themselves.
Cacini, taking cocaine isn't a right it is a reality. Until we account for this reality in a way that enhances the life of the abuser, and thereby ourselves, we are only going to get what we have--draconian laws and regulations that enhances rather than mitigates risk. So you don't want players to hurt their performances, their team, and your experience as a fan--you're right they have responsibilities that they need to live up to, not to mention their family and friends. I'm not sure that the Italian Olympic Committee with its reactionary rather than proactive stance helps foster this responsibility.

·
Registered
48,510 Posts
Well, cocaine appears in the list of prohibited substances of the World Anti-Doping Agency as a stimulant anyway, so don't blame the "draconian laws" of CONI.
There are so many pleasures in life and players have the luck to try most of them. If they try the few ones which are not compatible with their job don't blame the "draconian system", blame them.

·
Registered
917 Posts
Well, cocaine appears in the list of prohibited substances of the World Anti-Doping Agency as a stimulant anyway, so don't blame the "draconian laws" of CONI.
There are so many pleasures in life and players have the luck to try most of them. If they try the few ones which are not compatible with their job don't blame the "draconian system", blame them.
I'm not saying that Carrozzieri isn't to blame, but I am also saying that we need a system that isn't, as I correctly said, draconian.

·
Registered
34,960 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
My point is simply that coke isn't (or shouldn't be viewed as being) incompatible with the job as a footballer insofar as it doesn't enhance the players performances.

·
Registered
27,277 Posts
Cocaine is a stimulant, so until you reach Maradona levels of addiction, it will continue to enhance performances when taken in small amounts. It isn't the best performance enhancing drug by any stretch of the imagination, and I doubt Carrozzieri was using it for this purpose, but it has been banned by both WADA and CONI because it can be used for this purpose.

·
Registered
48,510 Posts
I'm not saying that Carrozzieri isn't to blame, but I am also saying that we need a system that isn't, as I correctly said, draconian.
What should the CONI say? "ok, Moris, WADA have incuded cocaine in the list of prohibited substance but we know that you are a good fellow and simply abuse it in the disco". The system is not draconian at all, the system simply has rules which try to keep the system clean and are not always applied anyway or have holes which are exploited by the smart and unscrupulous managers (draconian an Italian system, eh eh). The club you have proudly started to support lately is a typical example of club which would have profitted of a system without strict rules. Strict rules are not needed in a better world but in the world of Moggi & Co. ...

·
Administrator
53,562 Posts
Draconian laws is enslaving someone for owing couple of bucks or executing people for stealing bread or such. Not banning overpampered footballers for 1 year (but zero jail time, instead all the freedom to party 24&7) because they took an illegal substance such as cocaine, which they very well knew is a no go not only in their sport, but overally in criminal sense.

·
Registered
34,960 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Cocaine is a stimulant, so until you reach Maradona levels of addiction, it will continue to enhance performances when taken in small amounts. It isn't the best performance enhancing drug by any stretch of the imagination, and I doubt Carrozzieri was using it for this purpose, but it has been banned by both WADA and CONI because it can be used for this purpose.
Yet, the authorities already make the distinction between recreational and "professonal" use themselves. Hence, Mutu had his ban reduced as the judge took the view that he'd used coke for recreational purposes only, iirc.

Draconian laws is enslaving someone for owing couple of bucks or executing people for stealing bread or such. Not banning overpampered footballers for 1 year (but zero jail time, instead all the freedom to party 24&7) because they took an illegal substance such as cocaine, which they very well knew is a no go not only in their sport, but overally in criminal sense.
The "knowing" part is a precondition, not the grounds for a ban to be in place and carried into effect.

·
Registered
917 Posts
What should the CONI say? "ok, Moris, WADA have incuded cocaine in the list of prohibited substance but we know that you are a good fellow and simply abuse it in the disco". The system is not draconian at all, the system simply has rules which try to keep the system clean and are not always applied anyway or have holes which are exploited by the smart and unscrupulous managers (draconian an Italian system, eh eh). The club you have proudly started to support lately is a typical example of club which would have profitted of a system without strict rules. Strict rules are not needed in a better world but in the world of Moggi & Co. ...
What should the CONI say? "ok, Moris, WADA have incuded cocaine in the list of prohibited substance but we know that you are a good fellow and simply abuse it in the disco". The system is not draconian at all, the system simply has rules which try to keep the system clean and are not always applied anyway or have holes which are exploited by the smart and unscrupulous managers (draconian an Italian system, eh eh).
I'm not sure how this isn't draconian? This policy is reactionary, tries to set up deterrents that are ineffective (see biking) and it punishes someone for recreational use when, as it has been proven in Portugal, the best way to reduce drug use is to see it as a health problem not a crime. The proper question is how do we keep players, and other members of society healthy and not locked up, or, in this case, banned? CONI is merely a body that tries to prop up legitimacy that it does not and can never achieve--see their ban of Mannini and Possanzini for being half an hour late to a drug test--rather than using their power in an effective and health conscious way.

·
Registered
48,510 Posts
I'm not sure how this isn't draconian? This policy is reactionary, tries to set up deterrents that are ineffective (see biking) and it punishes someone for recreational use when, as it has been proven in Portugal, the best way to reduce drug use is to see it as a health problem not a crime. The proper question is how do we keep players, and other members of society healthy and not locked up, or, in this case, banned? CONI is merely a body that tries to prop up legitimacy that it does not and can never achieve--see their ban of Mannini and Possanzini for being half an hour late to a drug test--rather than using their power in an effective and health conscious way.
As usual you are mixing everything so you give to CONI more responsibilities than the ones they have. They are neither a court of ordinary justice nor a community for recovering drug addicts. They are merely a sporting board and they simply have to take care of sporting matters. There is nothing draconian in pretending that the men of sport avoid to use prohibited substances (prohibited according to WADA not simply according to CONI) and cocaine is one of them.
Whatever is the ordinary law in Portugal their national Olympic Committee refer to the COI, so I doubt that they can have different standards for doping from the international ones and the international ones are set by WADA.

PS did you learn the word "draconian" lately and feel compelled to use it?

1 - 20 of 37 Posts