Xtratime Community banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
1st Tier Poster
51,200 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Blackwell plans wholesale changes

Leeds boss Kevin Blackwell says he plans to bring as many as nine new players in the summer to boost their chances of promotion next season.
"I would like to get the signings that will give us another 12 points at this stage," he told the club's website.

"I am going to bring in another eight or nine players because we will need at least 26 to 28 quality players.

"We have got a comprehensive list of players we will be targeting who I think can make the difference."

Leeds eye Everton defensive duo

Leeds are interested in signing Everton defenders Gary Naysmith and David Weir, according to the players' agent.
Naysmith, 26, and Weir, 34, are free agents in the summer and Jim McArthur said Leeds boss Kevin Blackwell had spoken to him about signing them.

"Leeds would be interested but I don't know how far it's going to go and it depends on any offers the players receive from Everton," he said.

"Leeds are a big club but other clubs have also asked about them."

Whether the players have a future at Goodison Park beyond this season is unclear at the moment.

"Gary has rejected one offer and that has now been withdrawn, while David has had an offer he's thinking about," said McArthur.

BBC Football
-----------------------------------------------------

Well, it's obvious that we need some more quality in the squad to think of promotion. Hopefully Bates has some resources put aside for transfer fees, as it's quite difficult to make a promising squad out of free transfers and loan signings, as this season showed us.

·
1st Tier Poster
51,200 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Leeds boss happy with foundation

Blackwell is looking forward to the new season
Leeds United boss Kevin Blackwell feels the foundations have been laid over the last 12 months to ensure the club can move forward quickly next season.
Blackwell believes that the team have stabilised and are in a better position to recruit players.

"The last 12 months was a period of consolidation and has now enabled us to make more signings that can take the club forward," he told BBC Radio Leeds.

"It'll be good to start pre-season with the right squad, unlike last year."

·
Registered
2,756 Posts
Leeds made an offer for Nisse Johansson but the player rejected it claiming that he wants to move to a club that is moving forward while Leeds, in his opinion, are on a standstil.

·
Registered
2,756 Posts
Johansson is a good player and I didn't like to see him being released by Blackburn. But you are right to say that a player that thinks he is bigger than the club he plays in is not useful.

·
Premium Member
22,104 Posts
It baffles me how you lot can still buy players, we haven't been able to buy a player for years, and are not likely too anytime soon, everyone seems to think you have got into the worsed debt, but you can still buy players, it makes no sense too me.

What is the situation with the debt now, have you got it down, or has it rised like ours has? which has gone up from 33 million at the start of the season to 40 million at the end :wallbang:

·
1st Tier Poster
51,200 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I don't have the exact figures, but I think Bates managed to ease our debt a bit. But it's obvious that we still can't afford big fees, it's mostly free signings again.

·
Registered
2,992 Posts
I think the debt is £20m but it is not 'immediate' (ie not overdue... structured etc) which is still less than many clubs in England. You will never get exact amounts becuase the club is a private company now. The main problem for Leeds is that, due to various commitments and arrangements put in place by previous regimes, the club is still making a loss. That's more of an immediate problem than the debt, and what Master Bates is looking at right now. The club has come forward financially but once the loss is stopped that will improve things. At the moment the club has money, but it's all tied up therfore there isn't much available for player. Though this season Leeds spent £200,000 on Crainey, £750,000 on Healy, £650,000 on Gregan and £750,000 on Hulse (could rise to £1m apparently...) that's a potential £2.6m or so most of which was spent before Bates came in.

On the signings front Blackwell shouldn't be looking at any old crap for the sake of it. He could make better use of what he has now for example (playing Healy up front for starters).

·
Registered
2,992 Posts
Oh... plus there is probably another £250,000 from Coca-Cola's 'win a player' thing. Hopefully that will actually go towards a player, unless it's going straight into the Rob Hulse fund.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts