Xtratime Community banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
63,230 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello my portuguese freinds,i am Egyptian,i would like to know ur opinion in Manuel Jose,who was Recently sacked By AL-AHLY Board for Failure to win the Egyptian League..is he a good coach? what is his next destination in Portugal? Did he Fail with Benfica as the Egyptiam Media said? Waiting 4 ur replies...

·
Premier Player
2,656 Posts
I barely remember him. As we say in the U.S., he had a cup of coffee (I.E short stay) with Benfica. Thus, he did not leave much of an impression with me.

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
Relitavely speaking, he didn't do well at benfica, but before benfica, he did a pretty decent job at Boavista!

·
Registered
2,549 Posts
When anyone discusses the worse periods in Benfica everybody starts comparing 2 of them: Artur Jorge and Manuel José. The Artur Jorge one has a lot to talk about, way besides tactics (envolving vice-directors like Gaspar Ramos or António Figueiredo under Damásio presidency); but the Manuel José question it's easy to describe.

Anyone who remembers these times should remember jokes like "how many 'trincos' (defensive midfielders) are going to be in the lineup? Six or Seven?" The team was so back in positioning that every opponent team could easily destroy us, it was probably the time where Benfica was less respected and the Vila do Conde match against Rio Ave, in which he was fired, was a great "photo".

But the fact is that he made some good results with Boavista and Leiria (when he placed them 5th place and left place to replacer José Mourinho). Did their teams played attractively? Absolutely not. I remember a match when Benfica visited Leiria and Benfica players where so massacred with assaults (Bilro on Sabry and Tiago in every player) that many people started thinking if that was a football team. That was intentionally managed by the coach, I'm sure about this because the players Mourinho trained were exactly the same and the sense of fair play and respect was completely changed and modified. Manuel José orders only intend to agression and tactical afraidness (if such word exists...), and when you are in a bigger club like Benfica, that sort of strategy doesn't work at all.

From what I heard he won the African Champions League there. He got the team when they were already in the semi finals, but my doubt is about the real organization of african clubs. I heard that great part of the Al-Ahly is made of very young players about 20 years old. In a real competitive tournament, I really can't see a squad of kids winning the biggest senior club tournament in a continent. Because of that, I don't give much credit to that cup won.

Do you know what's curious about this? He really thinks Portuguese people like his job, he's absolutely convinced of that specially after the winning of African Champions League. But they don't. He's a "ugly" and weak coach and it's not that competition won or a good career in Leiria that is going to tell me he's good.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts