Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 94 Posts

·
Xtratime's Head of Humour 2007
63,337 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
what do you think of him?

here's what Henry says........

Thierry Henry feels he may have found the ideal strike partner in Emmanuel Adebayor.

The Togo international scored his first goal at Highbury in the 3-0 win over Charlton to make it three in seven appearance since joining the Gunners from Monaco during the January transfer window for a fee of around £7million.

Adebayor has been dubbed the 'new Kanu' because of the similarity in stature to the former Arsenal favourite, and although he has been ineligible to play in the Champions League, the 21-year-old, who is 6ft 3ins, adds presence to the attack.

And Henry believes the African's style complements his own game well.

"Manu is the type of striker who is really nice to play with because he shows the ball well and he does the bad [hard] work," said the Arsenal captain, whose trademark surging runs helped the Gunners maintain their revival with a third straight Barclays Premiership win.

"That is always a plus for me because then I am more free up front, and you can see that in the weeks I have been playing with him - I am more on the ball and also going on the side, trying to set up people to score.

"He gives us a plus because usually we have players like Dennis [Bergkamp] and Robin van Persie who try to get the ball behind, not really trying to shield the ball and wait for the team to come.

"Manu has that, so finally we have the striker who we have been looking for that when you kick the ball forwards, he will be there to shield it."

With van Persie still not fully recovered from a broken toe and Jose Antonio Reyes struggling with a hamstring problem, manager Arsene Wenger is glad to see Adebayor is adapting quickly to the English game.

"Adebayor is a bit more in-the-air player. He works hard and overall he gives a little bit more freedom to Thierry," reflected the Arsenal boss.

However, Wenger maintained: "I do not think it will change the way we want to play the game, but it gives us another option when you have no other resources."

Adebayor's start to his Arsenal career was delayed by participation for the Sparrow Hawks at the African Nations Cup.

As well as making the most of Hermann Hreidarsson's dreadful error to stab in his first Highbury goal after 32 minutes, he was presented with simpler scoring chances.

Despite not taking all the opportunities which can his way, Adebayor is more than happy with the way things have progressed.

"I felt I needed time to adjust over here and now I feel I am settling in," he said.

"I have had a lot of chances to score a lot of goals, sometimes I have three chances and do not score. Against Charlton, I had three or four chances and scored one.

"I am still young and growing up, but I have my head on my shoulders and know what I have to do to prepare. From then on, I can just concentrate on my football."

There can be no better player to learn from than Henry.

"He is one of the biggest strikers in the world," declared Adebayor.

"Thierry can always see what is possible and do anything with the ball so, of course, I am enjoying playing with him."

He added: "To be good on the pitch you have to speak a lot off it, which is what we are doing. We talk a lot which means we have solutions to help us when we are playing

seems to me that Adebayor is like our version of Crouch:D, albeit a stronger and faster more skilful version. ;)

he takes defenders thoughts away from Henry, he gives them problems and so Henry benefits, he also links the play well, i doubt he will ever be a great goalscorer like van Persie will but he gives us a great option.

I hope we can sometimes fit all of Henry, Manny and Lord Persie in the team.

·
Registered
13,621 Posts
i think RVP will get his place back in the team, but its great to have 3 strikers that can score, and perform.
Hes a crouch and drogba with more skill

·
Registered
3,804 Posts
Manu is a good player. I watched alot of him for Monaco and he was at times doing some masterfull things with the ball. For a big lad he actually has pace and does beat many defenders. He has a sweet touch and good vision. His goalpoaching could do with a bit of work but other then that he is a player i fancy.

He is also still very young and will therefore improve. A good player for Arsenal. A player that suits them and doesnt at the same time.

IMO, the Arse fans should be very happy with this buy.

·
Registered
25,902 Posts
I like Manny a lot. Okay, so his misses are sometimes hilarious but he's doing well for us. Like Jern said he gives defenders something to think about and takes the focus of his royal brilliance Thierry Henry. I'd be interested to see how RVP and Ade play together.

·
63,337 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I think it's a bit out of order that people say he's like Kanu though, he has long legs but that's about it, he moves the ball quickly he doesn't hog like Kanu did, and he doesn't try to do ridiculous dribbles for the sake of it like the beanpole Nigerian used to,

·
Registered
42,582 Posts
Adebayor has surprised me a lot, come into the team, already scored three goals and is doing very well.

Amongst the three January signings, I was least excited about him, looking forward to what Diaby and Walcott could do, but he's made me a believer.

·
63,337 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
ILA said:
That's true, but as was mentioned, the bright side is that he's getting into dangerous positions.

yes , he has the gift of finding space, just has to brush up on the finishing, hope Henry gives him a crash course in training. ;)

only 22, i remember even Henry was a bit wayward at that age.

·
Registered
8,947 Posts
I agree with ILA. Everytimes I watched him play, I can't understand how could Wenger sign someone who fit perfectly into our team that easy. And yes, he's good, too good. Definitely much better than I expected at the first time. I thought I'd see another 'Kanu' type player, but what I see is a real quick player who can control the ball very well and has very good sense of teamwork. A real Arsenal player. :star:

Alas...Wenger did it again. :thmbup:

·
Registered
5,837 Posts
Wenger says Adebayor is ahead of schedule. i believe had van Persie been fit he would not have started any of the games.

He is the alternative type of striker we need. Hopefully his finishing will get better, and he will be agreat asset to our attack.

·
Registered
5,225 Posts
Good signing from Wenger.

He looks as if he's been at Arsenal longer than he has. Good touch and good pace. Next season he will be a lot better IMO.

When Van Persie recovers 100% I think he'll come off the bench to replace Adebayor and not the other way around. Saying that though, I'd like to see all three of VP, Manny and Titi on the pitch all at once.

·
Registered
5,225 Posts
Jern Lizardhous said:
I think it's a bit out of order that people say he's like Kanu though, he has long legs but that's about it, he moves the ball quickly he doesn't hog like Kanu did, and he doesn't try to do ridiculous dribbles for the sake of it like the beanpole Nigerian used to,
Let's not get too far ahead of ourselves now. One of the best goals I've ever seen in my life was when Kanu scored against Chelsea when Ed de Goey was still playing in goal maybe 4 or 5 seasons ago.

Kanu had his gifts as well.

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
What do you think about puttin Manu and Robin upfront with Henry back on the left wing... drifting everywhere?

1 - 20 of 94 Posts