Xtratime Community banner

61 - 80 of 106 Posts

·
Registered
17,983 Posts
Insigne in all his career has done well just as left forward in a 3-man attack. I think we can leave out granpa Chiellini and shift to 4-3-3 by including Chiesa.
One of my fears is that Mancini will field Bonucci and Chiellini for "experience". After I saw Chiellini vs Lukaku Sunday, I was actually encouraged by Chiellini. Lukaku got the better of him most of the time but not by as much as he has against the average Serie A defender. If Lukaku was facing Bonucci for most of the game, I think Bonucci would have caught a cold and blamed it on the ref.

·
Registered
46,849 Posts
@camelface Yes, Chiellini was excellent. The English commentator kept saying he shouldn't keep getting so tight to Lukaku because Lukaku could roll him (which Lukaku did) but I have a feeling the commentator doesn't understand the old school defender's mindset and comfort zone. You want to stay tight to restrict movement and to let the opponent know you're breathing down his neck. You want to hold some of the shirt to restrict the player. And if you do get done, you'll rely on your ability to make the recovery tackle, which Chiellini did to great effect. He knows that Lukaku isn't a player you can just shut down...Lukaku's just has too much in the arsenal for that. It's about mitigation and I think Chiellini couldn't have approached it better.

Btw, @camelface @Osman did you see CR7's reaction after Barella's goal? Roll of the eyes...I took that as a "what can we do about that?". Given that the goal came from Bastoni's pass exploiting Juventus' high line and players committing forward, do you think that's a sign of frustration at Pirlo's system or nah?

·
Registered
17,983 Posts
@camelface Yes, Chiellini was excellent. The English commentator kept saying he shouldn't keep getting so tight to Lukaku because Lukaku could roll him (which Lukaku did) but I have a feeling the commentator doesn't understand the old school defender's mindset and comfort zone. You want to stay tight to restrict movement and to let the opponent know you're breathing down his neck. You want to hold some of the shirt to restrict the player. And if you do get done, you'll rely on your ability to make the recovery tackle, which Chiellini did to great effect. He knows that Lukaku isn't a player you can just shut down...Lukaku's just has too much in the arsenal for that. It's about mitigation and I think Chiellini couldn't have approached it better.

Btw, @camelface @Osman did you see CR7's reaction after Barella's goal? Roll of the eyes...I took that as a "what can we do about that?". Given that the goal came from Bastoni's pass exploiting Juventus' high line and players committing forward, do you think that's a sign of frustration at Pirlo's system or nah?
It could be frustration from CR7 at Pirlo, but I don't give it too much weight. First of all, I doubt he thinks tactically at all. He is probably blaming his co-players if anything.

He will become a cancer in the team if he starts being a negative leader. I know he has problems with being outshone by other players on the team historically, but if he continues to insist on playing every minute of every game Juve will sink with his physical abilities. Like I said before, he is clearly not the same player he used to be, though he still finishes like nobody's business.

·
Registered
17,983 Posts
Mancini has to consider 3-5-2.... A lot of his players play this formation and it is defensively solid. Italy's strength right now is actually its central players.

insigne immobile
spinazolla barella locatelli pellegrini calabria
bastoni chiellini acerbi
donnarumma​
Insigne vs Chiesa

With Chiellini's amazing game today, I think he needs to be a starter for Italy. Bastoni remains very good for Inter.

The rest of the line-up is unchanged for me.

I don't trust our full-backs to play in a 4-man defense.

·
Registered
47,504 Posts
I ignored Italy vs San Marino completely. I can't imagine a more worthless test. I might read the final score by mistake in the next few days, I'm not looking for it.

·
Registered
13,237 Posts
I noticed Cristante, the moping puppy dog face, on the pitch, too. There are many better options in the middle field for this team.

·
Registered
17,983 Posts
I noticed Cristante, the moping puppy dog face, on the pitch, too. There are many better options in the middle field for this team.
I actually like him lol. He should be on the team imo for his versatility. If he was played more steadily by Roma he would be better.

·
Registered
13,237 Posts
He was Funsucka's favorite, given the arm band, played virtually every match, he ain't getting no better

·
Registered
47,504 Posts
The list of 28

Goalies: Gianluigi Donnarumma (Milan), Alex Meret (Napoli), Salvatore Sirigu (Torino).
Defenders: Francesco Acerbi (Lazio), Alessandro Bastoni (Inter), Leonardo Bonucci (Juventus), Giorgio Chiellini (Juventus), Giovanni Di Lorenzo (Napoli), Emerson Palmieri (Chelsea), Alessandro Florenzi (Paris Saint Germain), Gianluca Mancini (Roma), Leonardo Spinazzola (Roma), Rafael Toloi (Atalanta).
Midfielders: Nicolò Barella (Inter), Bryan Cristante (Roma), Jorginho (Chelsea), Manuel Locatelli (Sassuolo), Lorenzo Pellegrini (Roma), Matteo Pessina (Atalanta), Stefano Sensi (Inter), Marco Verratti (Paris Saint Germain).
Forwards: Andrea Belotti (Torino), Domenico Berardi (Sassuolo), Federico Bernardeschi (Juventus), Federico Chiesa (Juventus), Ciro Immobile (Lazio), Lorenzo Insigne (Napoli), Matteo Politano (Napoli).

It is not a bad list. It is not particularly good either. I understand the ones who would have liked Kean to be in the list. Maybe instead of the fresh captain. Other than that, I don't think Mancini left out much.

·
Registered
46,849 Posts
What are the big omissions? I think it's unfortunate that Darmian's been left out. He's shown enough to warrant an inclusion...plus he's super versatile.

·
Registered
13,237 Posts
Zaniolo at 40% and without match play is better than most of those choices

·
Registered
47,504 Posts
The problem with Zaniolo is that if he gets injured again I think that he is going to retire. Without considering the risk that he is already no more what he used to be.

·
Registered
47,504 Posts
The two players who will be left out will be one of Toloi/Gianluca Mancini and one of Pessina/Cristante/Sensi.

·
Registered
46,849 Posts
Probably Sensi? Lack of playing time over the season.

61 - 80 of 106 Posts