Xtratime Community banner
21 - 40 of 185 Posts
What's been hurting Italy is the change in world football tactics. They have not truly adjusted with physical players. Seems like the kids these days don't grow up on pasta anymore? Modern tactics are asking way more from players physically in terms of stamina, speed, strength, acceleration, and it doesn't seem like Italians are close to being at top of this. On the other hand, they are undergoing a transition, because they wouldn't even be able to make a classic Italian team: there is no trequartista or seconda punta, no true regista, no destroyer.

I ask, what would be your lineup if we were making a classic Italian team? Say 4-3-1-2 or 4-4-2 or 4-4-1-1....

Donnarumma is playing very very well recently. That is good for the NT. He is actually looking like more than a solid keeper but one that can steal goals as well.

In other news, I think for our striker problem we should try to nationalize Piatek. :p
@ToniSamp @Stephan who else posts here? let's get discussing the state of the NT mid-way through season

What's been hurting Italy is the change in world football tactics. They have not truly adjusted with physical players. Seems like the kids these days don't grow up on pasta anymore? Modern tactics are asking way more from players physically in terms of stamina, speed, strength, acceleration, and it doesn't seem like Italians are close to being at top of this. On the other hand, they are undergoing a transition, because they wouldn't even be able to make a classic Italian team: there is no trequartista or seconda punta, no true regista, no destroyer.
Pls stop racebaiting via dog whistle.

In other news, I think for our striker problem we should try to nationalize Piatek. :p
@ToniSamp @Stephan who else posts here? let's get discussing the state of the NT mid-way through season

Cutrone looks good. He is the reserve of Piatek right now, but let's not forget he is 21 yo.

I don't think it's time for a lineup right now. Mancini should make a group of 25-30 players and leave out the players who, for different reasons, are clearly not Italian NT material such as Berardi, Politano, Gagliardini, Spinazzola, De Sciglio, Criscito, Benassi, Lasagna, Caprari...

Cutrone looks good. He is the reserve of Piatek right now, but let's not forget he is 21 yo.

I don't think it's time for a lineup right now. Mancini should make a group of 25-30 players and leave out the players who, for different reasons, are clearly not Italian NT material such as Berardi, Politano, Gagliardini, Spinazzola, De Sciglio, Criscito, Benassi, Lasagna, Caprari...
Then who should be the LB and back up at LB?

I wonder if having that extra year to prepare for Euro will help this team mature a little more, since they are young anyway.

Tagging because it seems dead here:
@ToniSamp @Stephan @pirri
Deano?
Well. My takes

A lot of maybes. Zaniolo pre injury looked like a true star quality player. Like Lamberto Zauli on steroids..since he came back in the limited time though he's looked good so im optimistic
can't stand chiesa, overrated. I'm worried about our wing-back posiitons. I think we need this extra year to see if we unearth a few more players.

tonali needs to find his identity. Best case scenario? Fernando de napoli but with good set pieces.

Berardi deserves a call up.

Well. My takes

A lot of maybes. Zaniolo pre injury looked like a true star quality player. Like Lamberto Zauli on steroids..since he came back in the limited time though he's looked good so im optimistic
can't stand chiesa, overrated. I'm worried about our wing-back posiitons. I think we need this extra year to see if we unearth a few more players.

tonali needs to find his identity. Best case scenario? Fernando de napoli but with good set pieces.

Berardi deserves a call up.
Welcome back Pirri! Very glad you are here to provide your insights. I'm also concerned about the full-backs.

Italian football is in the midst of a change with the rest of the world in terms of tactics. They went from being masters of the 4-4-2 and defensive football, and now most winners are very good at offensive football and move the ball in midfield. There aren't really Gattuso types anymore.

Welcome back Pirri! Very glad you are here to provide your insights. I'm also concerned about the full-backs.

Italian football is in the midst of a change with the rest of the world in terms of tactics. They went from being masters of the 4-4-2 and defensive football, and now most winners are very good at offensive football and move the ball in midfield. There aren't really Gattuso types anymore.
No worries. Don't miss gattuso. We've had better ( Orialli, Bertini, Benetti, Tardelli, Bagni, De Napoli, De Rossi etc)

No worries. Don't miss gattuso. We've had better ( Orialli, Bertini, Benetti, Tardelli, Bagni, De Napoli, De Rossi etc)
De Rossi was good but Gattuso's ability to cover large parts of the pitch and shut down (foul) players in his area was quite special in the CL especially. Milan probably would not have been able to play with 3 midfielders (Pirlo, Seedorf, Gattuso) if it wasn't for the latter's defensive work. The others I haven't watched.

Anyway, my point was that players are training for new positions. Back when I started on this forum in 2004, we would talk about trequartisti, 2nd striker, midfield wingers, etc. These don't exist anymore. 4-3-3 has basically taken over football. It took a while for Italy to produce midfielders that had enough speed, skill and defensive ability to play a good enough overall game to play as a midfielder in a 3-man system.

Also, those wingers are starting to be produced more regularly, and thankfully we are seeing some potential candidates.

21 - 40 of 185 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.