Xtratime Community banner

Mancini tactics & lineup

8K views 184 replies 16 participants last post by  The Noun 
#1 · (Edited)
Papers already writing that Mancini appointment will see the return of Balotelli.

But what else can we expect. Insigne and Jorginho will become regulars? What should be the starting centerback partnership?

Sticky. @ToniSamp

#6 · (Edited)
Emerson Palmieri will hardly be called up after missing all the season.

I'm against the oriundi as well anyway.

Balotelli, Ogbonna, Okaka etc. are Italian, Emerson Palmieri and Jorginho are Brazilian. I prefer 11 black players who grew in our clubs to 11 white South Ameican players who grew in South America, have no connection to Italy but one or more ancestors and play for Italy just because their country never gave them a chance.

#5 ·
He'll have a hard time explaining why he won't call Jorginho, unless he sticks to the stranieri comments he made earlier. If he does call him, I'd love to hear how he'll justify it. I expect Jorginho will be called. He can't ignore a player that should be taking a front and center role in the middle unless he goes with Marchisio who hasn't started in ages but would still offer a veteran presence and I believe still can play well.

I'd love to see a 4-5-1 to 4-3-3 if he insists on keeping with the 4-3-3 long enough until tlll we get our act together and stop conceding more than 1-2 goals.

Donnarumma/Perin/Meret
Florenzi Bonnuci Romagnoli Spinazzola
Bernardeschi Verratti Jorginho Pellegrini Insigne
Balotelli

Reserves,
Caldara, Rugani, De Scilio, Benassi
Cristante, Berardi, Belotti, Calabria, Cutrone
Conti when fit again

At least for the France game bring back a few veterans with key roles already rooted in the team, Chiellini, Parolo, Immobile, Criscito :wink2:

#11 · (Edited)
Zaza is a weird inclusion. I knew he couldn't ignore Jorginho, but am surprised about Palmieri. Some people in here seem to forget that Italy has a rich tradition using oriundi to certain success and degree. "If they can die for Italy, they can play for Italy." Why stop now? If Jorginho hadn't been already capped by Italy, Brazil would be bringing him to the world cup. That's a guarantee. I cannot wait to hear Mancini back track on his earlier comments now that he's selected Palmieri. I can understand Jorginho.

This is what Ventura tried after going away from Conte's system and it was a big failure.

#9 ·
It's a 30 players list so he could hardly leave out a good player! More easily he could include a poor one.

Portieri: Gianluigi Donnarumma (Milan), Mattia Perin (Genoa), Salvatore Sirigu (Torino);
Difensori: Leonardo Bonucci (Milan), Mattia Caldara (Atalanta), Domenico Criscito (Zenit San Pietroburgo), Danilo D’Ambrosio (Inter), Mattia De Sciglio (Juventus), Emerson Palmieri Dos Santos (Chelsea), Alessio Romagnoli (Milan), Daniele Rugani (Juventus), Davide Zappacosta (Chelsea);
Centrocampisti: Daniele Baselli (Torino), Giacomo Bonaventura (Milan), Bryan Cristante (Atalanta), Alessandro Florenzi (Roma), Frello Filho Jorge Luiz Jorginho (Napoli), Rolando Mandragora (Crotone), Claudio Marchisio (Juventus), Lorenzo Pellegrini (Roma);
Attaccanti: Mario Balotelli (Nizza), Andrea Belotti (Torino), Domenico Berardi (Sassuolo), Federico Bernardeschi (Juventus), Federico Chiesa (Fiorentina), Ciro Immobile (Lazio), Lorenzo Insigne (Napoli), Matteo Politano (Sassuolo), Simone Verdi (Bologna), Simone Zaza (Valencia).

#13 · (Edited)
I'm not saying I'm surprised because I doubted his worth. I'm saying I'm surprised because of what Mancini said about Oriundi during Conte's tenure. As far as form goes, he couldn't ignore Jorginho without taking a lot of heat, but since Palmieri is not in top form, it would have been easier for Mancini to ignore him. That was what I was getting at.

#14 · (Edited)
tbh, Palmieri has been excellent in the games hes actually played for chelsea. It's clear that when he's back to full match fitness he's a potential world class player..something italy is lacking so it's not that shocking in that rgeards

maybe thats what the FIGC said to mancini. We want the best players, oriundi or not.

#20 ·
His staff

Team Manager: Gabriele Oriali;
Commissario tecnico: Roberto Mancini;
Assistenti allenatore: Alberico Evani, Angelo Adamo Gregucci, Giulio Nuciari, Fausto Salsano;
Allenatore dei portieri: Massimo Battara;
Preparatori atletici: Giovanni Brignardello, Claudio Donatelli;
Medici: Carmine Costabile, Angelo De Carli;
Fisioterapisti: Alfonso Casano, Maurizio Fagorzi, Emanuele Randelli, Fabrizio Scalzi;
Osteopata: Walter Martinelli;
Nutrizionista: Matteo Pincella;
Match analyst: Antonio Gagliardi.

Three former sampdoriani in his staff. Not bad... :datass:

Battara is the son of a well known former goalie of Sampdoria too.

#28 ·
What's been hurting Italy is the change in world football tactics. They have not truly adjusted with physical players. Seems like the kids these days don't grow up on pasta anymore? Modern tactics are asking way more from players physically in terms of stamina, speed, strength, acceleration, and it doesn't seem like Italians are close to being at top of this. On the other hand, they are undergoing a transition, because they wouldn't even be able to make a classic Italian team: there is no trequartista or seconda punta, no true regista, no destroyer.

I ask, what would be your lineup if we were making a classic Italian team? Say 4-3-1-2 or 4-4-2 or 4-4-1-1....

#30 ·
What's been hurting Italy is the change in world football tactics. They have not truly adjusted with physical players. Seems like the kids these days don't grow up on pasta anymore? Modern tactics are asking way more from players physically in terms of stamina, speed, strength, acceleration, and it doesn't seem like Italians are close to being at top of this. On the other hand, they are undergoing a transition, because they wouldn't even be able to make a classic Italian team: there is no trequartista or seconda punta, no true regista, no destroyer.
Pls stop racebaiting via dog whistle.

#29 ·
Donnarumma is playing very very well recently. That is good for the NT. He is actually looking like more than a solid keeper but one that can steal goals as well.

In other news, I think for our striker problem we should try to nationalize Piatek. :p
@ToniSamp @Stephan who else posts here? let's get discussing the state of the NT mid-way through season

#31 · (Edited)
In other news, I think for our striker problem we should try to nationalize Piatek. :p
@ToniSamp @Stephan who else posts here? let's get discussing the state of the NT mid-way through season

Cutrone looks good. He is the reserve of Piatek right now, but let's not forget he is 21 yo.

I don't think it's time for a lineup right now. Mancini should make a group of 25-30 players and leave out the players who, for different reasons, are clearly not Italian NT material such as Berardi, Politano, Gagliardini, Spinazzola, De Sciglio, Criscito, Benassi, Lasagna, Caprari...

#36 ·
I wonder if having that extra year to prepare for Euro will help this team mature a little more, since they are young anyway.

Tagging because it seems dead here:
@ToniSamp @Stephan @pirri
Deano?
Well. My takes

A lot of maybes. Zaniolo pre injury looked like a true star quality player. Like Lamberto Zauli on steroids..since he came back in the limited time though he's looked good so im optimistic
can't stand chiesa, overrated. I'm worried about our wing-back posiitons. I think we need this extra year to see if we unearth a few more players.

tonali needs to find his identity. Best case scenario? Fernando de napoli but with good set pieces.

Berardi deserves a call up.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.