Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
6,556 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Mancini, the Brazilian wonderkid, touted as the new Cafu, De Rossi, the heir to Totti's throne, and Ferrari the in demand, steadfast, Italian international defender, all of them were fantastic last season, but they've provided us with quite a headache, both for this season, and the one coming. They either need to be relegated to the bench and replaced in the summer by new players, given a starting jersey for next season, or sold. I'm sure whatever manager comes in will have his own ideas on the matter, but assuming none of them regains their magnificent form of old before the end of the season, and we don't get relegated(big assumption, i know), what would like for us to do with them? Was this season just a one-off? Which ones can we trust for our new campaign, and who do you think we should send packing?

·
Premium Member
11,399 Posts
De Rossi is 21 years old and can't just be thrown away. He has shown glimpses of being a great player for Roma and the Azzurri, but he has to stay healthy and get more consistent.

Mancini is also young and should be given another chance. He had a great season in in 2004 and a bad one in 2005. Also, we should take into account that his heart is simply not into calcio right now because of his father's ailments in Brazil. Also, I feel Mancini has been totally mis-used this season. He is a right winger...period. Del Neri had him playing as a striker, a left winger, and as part of a 3 man midfield. Once Mancini gets his mind focused on calcio and Roma play the proper tactics (a 4-4-2 or a 3-4-1-2), I feel he will be back to 2004 form.

Ferrari is getting too much blame for Roma's disasterous season. One man doesn't destroy a season, unless his name is Antonio Cassano. But lets be really honest and say that Matteo Ferrari is an average defender. He was good for Parma, but he was never a great player. Italy's lack of great defenders (only Nesta, Maldini, and Cannavaro are great) made him look better than he really is. Also, he can't handle the Roma environment. He probably would have done better if Prandelli didn't leave, but thats no excuse. He seems to have no confidence and thats not what we need at the back. Also, he replaced the biggest shoes in the world...that of Walter "The Wall" Samuel. I say sell him to a mid-table club.

·
Registered
14,870 Posts
I agree with Romanista10, De Rossi and Mancini are keepers. Ferrari seems to be the new Legrottaglie and would probably be better off playing for a team with more modest ambitions.

·
Registered
3,053 Posts
Yes keep Mancini and De Rossi and sell Ferrari, mostly because I want to see Chivu-Mexes in the middle with Bovo/Dellas as backup.

·
Registered
8,152 Posts
il_principe said:
Keep up your wonderfull positive spirit!
Well Im not the one asking the questions, I don't think Roma are going to get relegated. Sorry I misread the question.

They will probably stay next season but I don't really know what Rosella Sensi is thinking.

·
Registered
6,556 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Romanista10 said:
De Rossi is 21 years old and can't just be thrown away. He has shown glimpses of being a great player for Roma and the Azzurri, but he has to stay healthy and get more consistent.

Mancini is also young and should be given another chance. He had a great season in in 2004 and a bad one in 2005. Also, we should take into account that his heart is simply not into calcio right now because of his father's ailments in Brazil. Also, I feel Mancini has been totally mis-used this season. He is a right winger...period. Del Neri had him playing as a striker, a left winger, and as part of a 3 man midfield. Once Mancini gets his mind focused on calcio and Roma play the proper tactics (a 4-4-2 or a 3-4-1-2), I feel he will be back to 2004 form.

Ferrari is getting too much blame for Roma's disasterous season. One man doesn't destroy a season, unless his name is Antonio Cassano. But lets be really honest and say that Matteo Ferrari is an average defender. He was good for Parma, but he was never a great player. Italy's lack of great defenders (only Nesta, Maldini, and Cannavaro are great) made him look better than he really is. Also, he can't handle the Roma environment. He probably would have done better if Prandelli didn't leave, but thats no excuse. He seems to have no confidence and thats not what we need at the back. Also, he replaced the biggest shoes in the world...that of Walter "The Wall" Samuel. I say sell him to a mid-table club.
Good post. I'm inclined to agree.

·
Registered
12,570 Posts
Ferrari was never a great defender and in Parma he played average. He played better than his usual but never great. He is slow and clueless in the back. I am not blaming him for all our problems but I mean, look at what he does, own goals, passing the ball back to the opposition attacker, he is clueless and like Romanista10 said, he can not handle la piazza Romana. He needs to be sold period. De Rossi and Mancini are good players and I think that next year with a better squad they can perform better.

·
Professional Pirate
7,107 Posts
ferrari's only downfall is that when he does a mistake...he cant move on from it. so its sort of like a snowball effect where he does one mistake then loses confidence and does another and another. this is because the defence is getting way to much pressure and the team is unbalanced. i say give him one more year. i think he can eventually be valuable. or if push comes to shove loan him out back to parma and take back parma. or make a bid for bonera as our rb with ferrari part of the deal, but now im getting off track.

·
Registered
54,576 Posts
Correction:

De Rossi did not have a great season last year. He played like 14 matches and most of them not from the start. You can not define a good or bad season from this amount of games.

·
Registered
6,556 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Deano said:
Correction:

De Rossi did not have a great season last year. He played like 14 matches and most of them not from the start. You can not define a good or bad season from this amount of games.
I didn't say he had a great, 34 game season, i merely said he was fantastic last year, which in my opinion, in the games Capello gave him a shot, he was.

·
Banned
1,724 Posts
Out of the 3 mentioned,I am most aggrieved at Mancini.After a fabulous first season last year,how can a player sink to such depths.Sometimes,I wonder if he is on the field of play.Its about time he started earning his money as he should be paying ROMA for short changing the club with his performances. :thmbdown:

·
Registered
54,576 Posts
My opinion is that if any team offers more than 10 million euros for De Rossi we can let him go, especially if its from abroad. Same with Mancini. I'd accept about 6 million euros for Ferrari. I hope Fiorentina stay up because they would probably buy Ferrari :)

My opinion is that not only these players but Totti and Cassano in particular have to have a long look at themelves.

We wont be in Europe next year so I think all our big players will leave, but we still have the name and wil have some money from these players to bring in some strong talent.

I just dont think we will be the same for a few years. But then Id prefer 18 hard working players with lower wage and can secure a mid-table place than 14 prima donnas who have a high wage and only finish mid-table or lower.

·
Registered
3,053 Posts
It´s far fetched, but we can still make Europe by winning Coppa Italia.
How does Tottis ban work, is he suspended from Coppa Italia to?

·
Registered
54,576 Posts
UEFA Cup is hardly music to Totti, Cassano and CHivu's ears.

·
Premium Member
11,360 Posts
Mancini should go if a good effort comes. He's been horrible for more than a year. Yes, I know his dad is ill and everything, but still, this is unacceptable. If we can get good money for him based on the last season's impressions he left, it's a good deal.

De Rossi deserves another year, but I am somewhat pessimistic that he'll turn out to be a great player.

Ferrari - sell him, it would be better for both sides. He just can't handle the pressure here.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts