Xtratime Community banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
V

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Manchester United have been awarded the the World Team of the Year prize at the inaugural Laureus Sports Awards in Monaco.
The awards have been introduced to rival film's Oscar ceremony and to realise worldwide sporting achievement, and United collected the silver trophy at the ceremony in recognition of their historic Treble success of last year.

Sir Alex Ferguson, Ronny Johnsen and Ryan Giggs received the award from former Olympic champion Ed Moses at the glittering showbusiness event at the Sporting Club in Monte Carlo, before Ferguson praised his men's unprecedented treble in 1999, which clinched the prize ahead of Australia's World Cup-winning rugby union side and the United States women's football team, who also won their World Cup last year.

"It's a wonderful achievement to be part of a team of excellence," said the United boss.

"When you are recognised by so many people for such an auspicious award as this, you can only be pleased and proud of the team.

"I've said it many times and they deserve this recognition. I think what they achieved last year will never be done again, so that's special.

"Only when you are the coach can you really appreciate what they have achieved. When the game is in full flow you can understand the feeling I get. "It's marvellous for them and they have distinguished themselves as a sports team."

Tiger Woods was voted the Sportsman of the Year, while Marion Jones, the world's dominant sprinter, was named Sportswoman of the Year.

Woods, who is playing in the Memorial Trophy in Ohio, claimed 11 victories in 15 tournaments last year, and received his award from Jack Nicklaus and Gary Player.

"It's quite an honour," he said. "I'm pretty humble. It's a hell of an honour to have my peers chose me to receive this award."

And the Newcomer of the Year award went to Spanish golfer Sergio Garcia, who won two European tour events in his first full pro season at the age of 19 and who ran Woods close for the U.S. PGA title.

The world's premier statesman Nelson Mandela presented a special lifetime achievement award for Pele and said: "Sport has the power to change the world. It has the power to inspire, the power to unite people that little else has...It is more powerful than governments in breaking down racial barriers."

------------------
GLORY GLORY MAN UTD!!!
My MUFC Site: www.red-devils.da.ru
Contact Me: [email protected]

·
Registered
53 Posts
AMOROSO
How do you think Corinthians or Vasco for that matter would have fared if the World club championship would have been held in Spain, England, Germany, or Italy in Janurary. I think the results would have been different with those clubs playing in europe in January. I enjoyed watching the Brazilian clubs, but if they had to go through a full season of serie A, Primera, EPL, or bundesliga, I feel they would finish somewhere in the middle of the pack in all those leagues. I know Real won the CL, but still Bayren beat them 3 times, they never finished above 2nd in the group qualifiers and finish 5th in La Liga. Real dosen't remind me of the Powerhouses like Milan, Juve or Ajax that won the CL in the mid 90's or United who won the treble last year. They just got hot for a couple of games.

·
Xtratime Allstar
9,820 Posts
milan was the strongest team ever when they won cl in the beggining of the 90's!!!!!!

·
Registered
26,731 Posts
Do I have to remind you that Real Madrid eliminated you guys? and dont tell me that you played better because you know its not truth.In fact you were incredibly lucky to escape with a goaless draw froim Bernabeu. (Bosnich made his first and last 60 saves of the year)

To put it simple,you are not World Champions,you are not europian champions,you are not europian super cup winners,you are not FA Cup winners and you are not Leage cup Winners.You are Premier League Champions.

So stop bragging about the treble because its past.

------------------
Parma will fight back...FORZA PARMA!

·
Registered
662 Posts
Yea what Shaq said is true but doesn't take away Real's win in the CL this year. But it is also true that they aren't a dominant side as the other CL/Europena Cup winners of the 90's, thats for sure.
Well it is ONE year in the past but it still was and achievement...afterall eveyone in Europe is consistenly reminded of Real's 8 European Cup wins. That is the past isn't it?

·
Registered
662 Posts
And although it IS an incredible record, the Spanish side still do brag about it.

All successful teams do, I mean what do you expect...teams playing hard all season and finally winn NOT to glorify their victory?

------------------
-=KilledInAction=-

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Did everyone in Manchester get a vote, or was it just inside Old Trafford that the voting was held?

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Amoroso, your posts are usually quite sensible but that last post was ridiculous.

Stop bragging about the treble?????!
It was only ONE year ago! It was the greatest achievement in english club football EVER!
ManU fans will probably still be talking about it several decades from now. And why shouldn't they? It was an amazing season for them.
Sure, maybe one day it will be bettered. But until then you're just going to have to accept it.

Besides, how often have you bragged about Liverpool's ancient successes??
You sound like a complete hypocrit.

·
Registered
26,731 Posts
I never brag about Liverpool's achievements because I'm not old nough to have lived it.I became a Liverpool fan as soon as I started to watch PL (91-92).Anyway,when some Manure fans claim that they are the best english side ever,its simply not true because Liverpool is.But if someone asked me right now which is the best team in England I would answer that the scummers are.I realise the present.So what if it was only a year ago? Milan were champions one year ago but none considers them anymore...it was a great achievement,well done etc etc but this year they failed,so they brag about the treble because they want to hide the fialure.Simple as that.

As I said earlier:

You are not World Champions,you are not europian champions,you are not europian super cup winners,you are not FA Cup winners and you are not Leage cup Winners.You are Premier League Champions.

Thats all...

------------------
Parma will fight back...FORZA PARMA!

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
OK Amoroso u made your point....But still what are Parma? Got their ass kicked by Inter and are gonna play in the UEFA Cup..And where are Man Utd heading? The Champions League yet again...Sorry to say Amoroso but Man Utd is still the team

·
Registered
3,500 Posts
The topic theme says it all :
"Manchester utd win team of 1999 prize"

If you wanna brag on the past, feel free!
We'll see wether you'll be bragging for the future hehehehehehehe
Not the near future though... I don't think any of you guys expects the same for the year 2000 prize !!!!

BECAUSE WE RULE!!!!!!!!

!HALA MADRID, CAMPEONES DE EUROPA!
!YA TENEMOS 8! !OUE VENGAN MAS!

·
Registered
415 Posts
Yes, if the prize is for 1999 Man Utd deserve to win it. But as Amoroso said, all you guys won this year was the Premier League. That's all he said. And like he said, last year Milan won the scudetto, but do you hear anyone talk about that this year? No. Finally, amn26red, did you hear him say anything about Parma? Nothing other than his signature, which accompanies EVERY message. So why bring it up?

·
Registered
394 Posts
well said Amoroso!!

...man u only won the league, means they may possibly be the team on best form at the moment in the premiership...thats all..

...its not just about winning champianships it about defending them.

goodluck to Real for winning it, but i do think they had alot more easier games (in the group tables) then Valenica or other teams for that matter.

I think they were lucky to get that far considering their poor start to the season, and had they played the harder games earlier on they would have been out...

however, they played well against Bayern, manutd, and valencia and luckily they sorted out their problems on time....

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Well Kazema, u seem to have a problem with defining the word freedom of speech..If someone can come into this forum criticising my team, then I have a right to do so myself man! I mean okay they just won the premier league and didn't defend the champions league, so what? There's always next year to compete. AMOROSO is a Parma fan, and i'm criticising his team, so do you have a problem with that mate? You mant me to criticise you as well?No problem, that can be arranged..I'm just defending my team, coz if other people can criticise why can't I? So if u dont like it Kazema, just stick it where the sun don't shine...

GLORY GLORY MAN UTD!!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts