Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
2,255 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Our last chance of first-team silverware this season.

By Saturday afternoon we'll know who's waiting for the winners of this match.

I'd like to see a starting XI of:

Code:
                    Howard
G. Nev     Ferdinand      Silvestre    Heinze
                     Keane
           Kleberson       Scholes
Ronaldo                                Rooney
                     Ruud
Seems fairly straightforward except for the 3rd position in midfield beside Keane and Scholes.

·
Registered
580 Posts
4-5-1 makes me want to throw up when I see it

Rooney can play quite well on the left flank, but he is so much better down the middle. What's the point having him there? And what's the point in havin Kleb play? I'd rather see Kleb on the right, Ronaldo on the left, Rooney and Ruud up front. Flank players have to be very streamlined. Something that neither Rooney nor Ronaldo are!

Failing that I would like to get rid of one of our fullbacks and play a 3-5-2 formation.

Failing that I would just like to win the ****ing match

·
International
9,526 Posts
Newcastle getting knocked out of Europe will ensure they're well up for it. Expect fireworks, but I think we'll eventually grind them down. 3-1.

·
Registered
15,634 Posts
Yaf Klebs is not a right midfielder, so he would suck on the right.
SDDs tactic is spot on but I can see sadly fergie starting Fortune:( on the left till he sees that he sucks so much that he changes him on the 2nd half.(Well at least better than playing P.Neville).

For the 2nd half, if we are losing or drawing and not creating anything fergie will probs turn to a 442 with Smithy on the right.

..............Howard
G.Neville Ferd Silvestre Heinze
..........Keano Scholesy
Smithy.....................Ronaldo
...................Rooney
...........Ruud

·
Registered
2,255 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
KyleLeonard said:
fletcher will play
I'd definitley have Fletch ahead of Kleberson if he was fit. I heard that he was travelling, but I'm not sure he'd start.

I've always rated Fletcher, but I know some on here don't. I read an interesting article about him a few days ago: here's an extract from it:

At the start of the season the defensive anchorman was considered to be Eric Djemba-Djemba who started seven of the opening eleven fixtures – barely a clean sheet or a win to be seen. When Fletcher finally won a regular place, in mid November, United’s next five games saw just two goals conceded – and five straight wins.

The bulk of Fletcher’s games came from mid-November to mid-February – his final two games were the wins at Arsenal and Manchester City – but injury cut short his season. United started the season badly, but things started to click when Fletcher found his way into the team and after his departure the early season form returned.

United have won 18, drawn 3 and lost only 1 competitive match in which Fletcher has featured this season. United have won 82% of the games where Fletcher has played.

United have won 13, drawn 11 and lost 6 games where Fletcher didn’t play. This is winning just 37% of the games.

There is not another United player available with these kind of statistics to back his inclusion. When van Nistelrooy was injured United did fine, Keane’s absences have not always been calamitous and Rio Ferdinand has started five times when United have been beaten.

Every team needs their unsung heroes, but the fans want the superstars. So the news that Fletcher is rushing to shake off his knee ligament problem and resume playing in a fortnight is good news for United – although, as usual, many less observant fans will totally miss his contribution.

A final thought: Chelsea have won 78% of their league games, United have won 82% of the games where Fletcher has played. How costly has his absence really been?

·
Banned
10,200 Posts
i think he needs to work on his strength, he is like what richardson was 2 or 3 years ago

·
Registered
2,255 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
KyleLeonard said:
i think he needs to work on his strength, he is like what richardson was 2 or 3 years ago
He's a fairly tall lad, and with the serious injuries he's had at such a young age it has to have stunted his muscular development a fair bit.

He'll bulk up in a year or two hopefully. Robbo was a beanpole too when he started out.

·
Banned
10,200 Posts
Ronaldo doesnt use strength, falls over from the slightest touch :D plus, Fletch never puts a tackle in, remember when he did vs Boro and Villa last season?

·
Registered
4,318 Posts
Ronaldo has made a concious effort to stay on his feet more this season, which is good to see. What I like about him though is he doesn't moan when he gets kicked to bits, he just picks himself up and gets on with it. Great attitude!

He doesn't roll about on the grass for 10 minutes like .... Ljungberg... Vieira... Pires... take your pick.

Fletcher could be a great player if he got regular first team football, Ferguson chops & changes his team so much... none of the boys get a chance to build confidence as individuals or as a team.

Forland & Veron are perfect examples of this, we label them flops after a few bad perfromances & demand they be cut from the team. And when they leave, they inevitably go on to do great things elsewhere.

You can virtually guarantee that when Kleberson leaves he'll go on to be one of the most solid DM's in the world, lol.

You see it with Richardson too, just look at how much he's come on at WBA in such a short space of time!

I feel especially sorry for Smith this season, Ferguson should find a place for him in the first team. He was looking forward to being the main man at OT, then Rooney stole his thunder.

Ferguson isn't getting the best from Rooney either. I don't know what Sven does differently with him, but he is twice the player for England he is for United (although that's not to say he hasn't been excellent this season for us!).

You have to ask some serious questions when a manager cannot get goals from what is practically a front six in Giggs, Ronaldo, Scholes, Rooney, Ruud & Saha/Smith. Yes there have been injuries but he's still had an embarassment of attacking riches.

I've deviated from the topic somewhat... sorry, it'll be a tough game. I'm still seeing a United v Arsenal final though, with both teams still battling for 2nd spot in the league... it's going to kick off again :D

·
Banned
10,200 Posts
Manchester United winger Ryan Giggs has been ruled out of Sunday's FA Cup semi-final with Newcastle, but Darren Fletcher could feature.

Giggs has failed to recover from a hamstring problem despite intenstive treatment.

Louis Saha (calf) is also out but Fletcher has trained all week and will travel to Cardiff after missing two months with a knee injury.

United (from): Howard, Carroll, G Neville, P Neville, Ferdinand, Brown, Silvestre, Heinze, O'Shea, Fletcher, Fortune, Ronaldo, Kleberson, Keane, Scholes, Miller, Van Nistelrooy, Smith, Rooney, Bellion.

·
Registered
4,578 Posts
arsenal in the final...looks like theyre picking up form for this end of season run...

i expect a hard much... not much talent to be displayed from either side, except for ronaldo running at the suspect newcastle defence.. may possibly be a waiting game instead of your typical Fa cup semi...

2-0 united

·
Registered
6,853 Posts
With Giggs missing out, Fortune is a shoe-in for the starting spot. While the lad will do a stable defensive job alongside keano, he will murder us when it comes to the attacking onus. I would have loved to see Fletcher get a start but that's not going to happen. So Klebs should be given a start alongside the old duo of Keano and Scholes simply because of the fact that he is a better passer of the ball than Fortune.

Otherwise the team picks by itself. Rooney and Ronaldo have to be more penetrative from the flanks and either one of them have to drift into the box when the other goes to the byline. Our midfield has been the premier reason for such a poor recent showing and Fergie and CQ has to work on the speed of passing in the middle of the park. Often, it takes ages for us to spread the ball across the aprk and by then our opponents have successfully managed to plug the gaps that are available.

Bottom line, the shift of play from midfield to our forwards have been painstakingly slow and it doesnt help when your center-forward is embarassingly out of form. Ruud is a type of player who thrives on confidence and when he lacks it, his entire game falls away. He becomes stagnant, fails to read plays successfully, his first touch(which is dodgy as it is) becomes pathetic and hence he loses whatever attacking impetus he holds over his marker. The big Dutchman needs a goal desperately and whether it is a deflection or a scuffer, he just needs one.

Newcastle are coming off a morale-depleting loss in Europe and without Dyer and Bowyer, they will be there for the taking. Important to see would be whether our players are prepared to do just that!

·
Registered
239 Posts
actually i agree with yaf...

i'd like to see either gazza neville or silvestre dropped, with heinze, rio and the third playing in a tight central defence. ronaldo down the left, with keano and klebs playing ahead of the back three... ruud playing alone upfront, but with scholes and rooney playing slightly further back... and mebbe smith of the right... a tough tackling but fast formation... shud be more than enough for newcastle

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
Probable lineup (and also the lineup I would like to see)

---------------------------------Howard--------------------------------
Neville------------Ferdinand-----------------Silvestre--------------Heinze
-------------Kleberson-----------Keane-------------Scholes-------------
---------------------Ronaldo---------------Rooney----------------------
-------------------------------v.Nistelrooy------------------------------

·
Registered
3,343 Posts
come on u MAN U :cap: ........i love to see MAN U vs ARSENAL :fero:

1 - 20 of 62 Posts