Xtratime Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5,323 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Manchester United have injury concerns in attack ahead of Crystal Palace's visit to Old Trafford, live on Prem Plus.

The Red Devils' expensively assembled four-pronged strike-force could be reduced to just one member in the worst case scenario for manager Sir Alex Ferguson.

Louis Saha, who scored in the Carling Cup victory over Palace last month, is definitely out with an ankle injury.

Ruud van Nistelrooy is undergoing a scan on Friday on his troublesome calf complaint and is rated doubtful for the teatime tussle.

Ferguson also has concerns over the fitness of Alan Smith who picked up a knock to his foot during Monday's 1-1 draw at Fulham.

That could leave Ferguson with just Wayne Rooney as a striking option and it would be interesting to see if the England ace is allowed to lead the line against Palace.

Kleberson is also missing with an ankle injury, while Cristiano Ronaldo and Gabriel Heinze are reportedly on a mid-season sabbatical.

Heinze's absence, although it could be delayed until next week, would open the door for John O'Shea, while the likes of Darren Fletcher, Liam Miller and David Bellion will be hoping for a chance with Ronaldo back in Portugal.

Palace, like United, will ring the changes from the team which was beaten at Old Trafford in the fourth round of the Carling Cup.

Iain Dowie's selection problems are not as severe as his opposite number, with Wayne Andrews aiming to shake off a flu bug.

Tommy Black is definitely missing with a broken leg, along with Nicola Ventola, but Gonzalo Sorondo could return to the squad after a hamstring injury.

The Eagles' sole victory away from home in The Premiership this season was at Birmingham, when Andy Johnson's breakaway goal settled the match.

Dowie is likely to again deploy Johnson as a lone striker, with Palace operating with a five-man midfield designed to frustrate the hosts.

Skysports.com prediction: 3-0
Palace will seek to hold out at Old Trafford but, once the first goal goes in, United should enjoy a stroll.
Source - Sky Sports

·
Registered
5,323 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
EagleMart said:
So, what do you think NiTR0?
I honestly think that we can hold out for a draw. Although United have great players, they aren't gelling together like their teams of the past. I think if we can keep it 0-0 till the 80th minute, anything can happen. We need to exploit the fact that Ronaldo and Heinze aren't playing. Routledge can take advantage of a player like Fortune or O'Shea, whilst Kolkka has the pace the hurt Neville if he wanted to. With Johnson, we have a player who will always score goals, however, I wouldn't be surprised if he doesn't play well. Silvestre has the pace to match Johnson, and Ferdinand, well is Ferdinand. One of the best in the world.

I just hope our players aren't star struck by the occasion. Manchester United is probably their most anticipated game of the season. They still have that aura around them that Arsenal and Chelsea don't have.

Prediction - 0-0

·
Registered
5,323 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah, but come on, did anyone predict 5-2? We played relatively well, but like I said might happen, some of our players were starstruck. Aki was disapointing for me.

·
Registered
2,209 Posts
Hopefully some of our lads will learn a bit from that. Giggs was fantastic, if Wayne wants to be a big star then that is the level of performance that he has to attain. The quality of their final ball emphasised the gap in class between the two teams,and you couldn't really blame AJ if he wanted to join a team that creates that many chances.

·
Registered
6,768 Posts
Come on Palace you can do better than that, what happened to all that team believe. And considering the training regime you take by the sounds of things you should literally be running teams into the ground. All you need is a lil luck and Andrew "Eat my goal" Johnson to bang the goals in and your be fine.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts