Xtratime Community banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
XT Post Number King
111,120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Manchester United To Tour The United States In 2003
News Archive

Watch out America, here come Man United (Allsport)
05/02/2002. Manchester United have announced a three-date, twelve-day tour of the United States during July 2003.

Having signed a mega-bucks deal last year with the New York Yankees, United are keen to promote football stateside and the tour will give them an ideal opportunity.

Although no opponents are as yet confirmed, Sir Alex Ferguson and his players will open their tour in Los Angeles on July 12th, then play in Boston four days later. The trip will end with a match in either New York or New Jersey on July 19th 2003.

Ferguson confirmed that the entire first team squad will travel to the States in fifteen months time and told the official club website, "We are all greatly looking forward to the 2003 Tour. Everyone knows that football is becoming increasingly popular in the States, and by bringing United over on tour we hope to promote the game to an even wider audience, winning new fans and friends in the process. I am sure the team will enjoy the experience of playing in front of large and enthusiastic crowds in some of the best stadiums in America."

soccerage
--------------------------------
i wonder how many Man Utd fans in the U.S. :confused:

·
Registered
9,811 Posts
The average American has never heard of Manchester United.

Whats the point? Football, er, i mean "soccer" has always been considered as a womans game in the USA.

·
Registered
6,853 Posts
Russell said:
The average American has never heard of Manchester United.

Whats the point? Football, er, i mean "soccer" has always been considered as a womans game in the USA.
The point is to promote the image of the club abroad and specially in America which is potentially a huge market for merchandise.Also remember United signed a MOM with the Yankees and perhaps thats also one of the reasons for going there.

Anywayz....I bet these "soccer":D fans will love watching the lads in action and the club will also earn some healthy revenue along the way.:)

·
Registered
775 Posts
Great Tour Come to Kuwait PLZ

·
Registered
4,578 Posts
i think quite a few americans would know manchester united through the posh spice-beckham link..plus i remever when they did the NY yankee deal...quite a lot of baseball fans had manu shirts on...

(yaaay, my 100th post)

·
XT Post Number King
111,120 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
don't underestimate Man Utd's popularity in the U.S...maybe many american don't know what team Man Utd are...but in the U.S., there are a lot of different race of people...we have a lot of mexican, europeans, asians, south americans here who LOVE football/soccer a lot...although i don't like Man Utd...but i think it'll help Man Utd a lot in terms of selling merchandise and promoting themselves in the U.S....

OSF, will u go to watch them play??? :D

·
Registered
9,325 Posts
don't underestimate Man Utd's popularity in the U.S...maybe many american don't know

Amen brother, you said it.....i think there are a lot of people in USA who are looking forward to Man U coming here. I just hope when they come here, their fanbase atleast doubles. :D

·
Registered
9,811 Posts
It's pretty ludicrous for a Brit to make an assessment of what an average American knows. Don't you agree, Russell?
No ;)

I'm not sure that united will achieve much there, but we shal see. :cool:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts