Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Click Here For The Article

Manchester United Summer Targets
With Manchester United's season falling apart, Alex Ferguson is thinking about a shake up similar to the one which occurred in the summer of 1995. There is speculation leading to Nicky Butt, Diego Forlan, Ryan Giggs and Roy Keane all departing in the summer with new fresh faces coming in next season. Here are some of the possible players who Alex Ferguson will try to lure to Old Trafford.

Carlos Puyol - Barcelona

Manchester United watched Carlos Puyol in the game between Barcelona and Celtic last week. Puyol impressed the United representatives and he has been made a prime summer target. His price value is increasingly high and Barcelona maybe reluctant to let him go.

Fernando Torres - Atletico Madrid

The Red Devils have been rumored to have had a bid rejected for young Spanish striker Fernando Torres. The 19 year old is the most talked about striker in Spain. Atletico Madrid are believed to have rejected a £21 Million bid last week for the Spanish talent from Manchester United and with Diego Forlan being used in the move.

Xabi Alonso - Real Sociedad

With rumors Roy Keane may call it a day at the end of the season, Sir Alex will have to search for a new defensive midfielder. The Manchester United manager has stated last season, he is a big fan of the Spanish midfielder Xabi Alonso. His buy out clause is £20 million but with Real Sociedad in trouble his price value maybe halved.

Ferguson said: "Alonso is definitely one I’d take. His contract runs until 2007, but we have been told there’s a £20 million buy-out clause, so that could be a problem for us."

Damien Duff - Chelsea

Manchester United had lined up Damien Duff as a summer transfer move last season but found out his price value was too high. With Arjen Robben moving to Chelsea in the summer, Duff's future is once again in doubt and with Sir Alex Ferguson a keen admirer of the Irish winger, he would be perfect in the Manchester United team. £15 Million maybe enough to lure Duff from London to Manchester.

Rafael Van Der Vaart - Ajax

Van Der Vaart's future is in doubt come the summer with numerous clubs such as Manchester United, Milan and Barcelona all targeting the Ajax playmaker. The red devils missing out on fellow Dutch team mate Arjen Robben, may see Van Der Vaart the perfect solution to there future replacement for Ryan Giggs. Van Der Vaart will also benefit with the link up possibility of playing with Dutch team mate Ruud Van Nistelrooy. The Ajax star's price tag is suggested to be £15 - £22 Million.

·
Registered
18 Posts
UTD maybe struggling at the moment but getting rid of Keano & Giggsy & buying a bunch of players who've never played in the EPL is sheer madness & a massive backward step.

·
Registered
6,853 Posts
The problems with the names being mentiones is that apart from Alonso,whom we should sign cause he's a magnificent player,the rest would be very expensive and the clubs will hike up their prices even more considering it's United and with the Russian bastard also hounding our targets.

If we get Puyol,it'd be brilliant cause he's world class but it'll be very difficult to convince Barca to let him go.

·
Registered
11,928 Posts
i think you should get a new manager :) ferggies kinda got this grudge and admin affairs? like lockdown of the transfer movements which i think related in chelsea getting robben and not you?

its a cold camp, i dunno. was ruud rested against fulham like tatical? cosei heard they had a "bust up" could be rumours i guess. :eek:

·
Registered
2,133 Posts
Puyol
BS. Barca won't sell their best defender. They're re-building a team and losing a player like Puyol will literally take all the foundations and throw it to the drain. I'm sure neither Laporta nor Rijkaard are that stupid. ;)

Xabi Alonso
And I thought Roy's replacement is the Miller guy from Celtic. And you have Djemba2x plus Kleberson too. Not sure if they play Keano's position though. :pp

Torres
:groan::dontcare: This has BS written all over it.

Duff
Could be. But Giggs is still not over and you have C.Ronaldo there.

Van Der Vaart
I think he'll be a great partner for Ruud. But don't you already have Saha??? ;) Impatient Man Utd should have waited till the summer and try to price VDV away instead of getting Saha.

·
Xtratime's Head of Humour 2007
63,337 Posts
Atletico Madrid are believed to have rejected a £21 Million bid last week for the Spanish talent from Manchester United with Diego Forlan being used in the move.

do United want this player or not? not much wonder the bid was rejected,is it ? :rolleyes:

that's like trying to buy a new Porsche, using a rusty old bucket with a hole in it as part-exchange :D

·
Registered
10,868 Posts
if they were smart they would just sell Forlan to someone else and add the money from him to the 21m. but Madrid will not sell him...unless someone decides to break the bank, like Chelsea

·
Registered
6,853 Posts
Handoyo said:

Van Der Vaart
I think he'll be a great partner for Ruud. But don't you already have Saha??? ;) Impatient Man Utd should have waited till the summer and try to price VDV away instead of getting Saha.
You need to have four good forwards in a club and despite having Saha and Ruud,bringing in VDV wouldn't hurt.With Forlan in all probability leaving during summer,we will need someone to take his place.Whether its VDV or someone else is still anybody's guess but with Chelsea ready to sabotage any of our moves,its best that the club tries to keep their targets as discreet as possible.;)

D

·
0 Posts
united won't be spending £15million on a striker unless Ruud leaves.

Alonso and Puyol are the only possibilities off that list.

·
Registered
2,133 Posts
Shaf: But that would mean that Saha gotta accept the sub role cos whenever they're fit, it's likely that VDV and Ruud will start. And if that happens, that would also mean that you've spent 12 million pounds for a sub player in Saha. :D

Doc: There are a lot of things in this football world that we, the fans, don't and won't know. :pp

·
Random Dropout
1,508 Posts
Doc_Rule said:

Alonso and Puyol are the only possibilities off that list.
You'd really want that to be true wouldn't you:pp.Less possible than RVN going Barça

And for those who follow La Liga,Xabi Alonso has been crap all season and many times he's benched in an Erreala side that was near relegation zone since the beginning.He's got great abilities defensively and offensively and could easily be a new Guardiola but he could easily be a new Tiko as well.

Torres is possible- a lot more than Puyol:pp -if they offer a great deal of money since Atletico Madrid would prefer not selling him to Madrid or Barça in the future,its a tricky situation for Atleti,they could offload him now he's hot or wait a couple of years more and regret it.He could be even the best striker in the world in the future but he's so young and sometimes inconsistent that you never know

VDV is so overrated its not even funny

·
Registered
104 Posts
If Fergie can get his head round a young tearaway like Cassano I'd love to see him playing at Old Trafford. Roma are rowing paddleless up financial diarrhea drive and could do with the cash. After the European Championship this summer his value is gonna SHOOT up. Sadly, I can't see Cassano wanting to freeze his grollies off in Lancashire.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Hey, all them targets woul be pretty good, but i think they're a bit unrealistic.....

Has any of you guys heard the rumour of a figo move the the EPL? He has said he would like to go to either Man United or chelsea, because he has won everything he can in spain, and fancies a move to England....apparently...

This would be amazin IMO...altho my opinions are pretty weird!!!!!

·
Registered
7,201 Posts
i think the names listed above are very good if we can get some of them i thin kwe can be a major force again, becuz we need to change some players now, like Keane is good player but he is like 32 - 33 years old, hw lomg can he play for . Giggs is like 30- 31 years old, how long can he play for?he is a player who is goo with his speed, if he loses it he is going to be shit ,and in few years i think he would..

·
Registered
5,415 Posts
Tevez, Cavenaghi, Giuly, Kompany, Baraja, Rufute, Bresciano, Xabi Alonso, Jesuli, Jankulovski, Rothen... some of them I don't know if Utd is monitoring but they're pretty all damn good and relatively cheap.

You've got to be kidding with Puyol though. I don't think enough Utd fans understand Barçelona's status in world football and what an icon Puyol has became during the ******* years. It's tantamount to selling Keane after his performance in Turin because his value was at it's highest.

·
Registered
5,415 Posts
Nah, you just overrate Giuly ;) Trez went for 7 mill pounds and Henry 11 and that was before the age of financial prudence and the Mancurian board shoving bankwads up the recess of their anus for safekeeping :D

1 - 20 of 47 Posts