Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 142 Posts

·
Registered
23,264 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Man Utd v Liverpool

Five years, 400 minutes and no goals - that's how long it's been since a Liverpool player last found the net at Old Trafford.

The Reds might have come away with a goal to their name on one occasion, but that was credited to United utility man John O'Shea.

Danny Murphy popped up on a few occasions to deal the killer blow and seal three hard-earned points against Manchester United, and he's also the last Anfield hotshot to score on their turf - on 24 April, 2004 to be precise.

Now captain at Fulham, Murphy admits he celebrated long into the night after that 61st-minute penalty which helped Gerard Houllier's men to a Champions League berth for what turned out to be a very special 2004/05 season.

"I was fortunate enough to score the winner against them on a few occasions, which, coincidentally, all finished 1-0," says Murphy.

"I remember vividly the first time I scored the winner at Old Trafford, it was the first time Liverpool won there in 10 years as well. Looking back now and thinking how important those wins were at the time and to Liverpool fans in general, those memories will live with me forever.

"Even though it's a cliché, I think there's a degree of truth in that players who are brought up supporting a club and then go on to play them give that little bit extra in the big games against old rivals, and I think the same goes for me when I played for Liverpool.

"Suffice it to say I celebrated long into the night after the goals I scored at Old Trafford - even more so with that win in 2004, scoring a penalty at Old Trafford to seal the three points is very special..."

Match pointers

- If Liverpool win the game at Old Trafford it will be the first time they have done the League 'double' over their rivals since 2001/02 when Michael Owen and John Arne Riise scored at Anfield and Danny Murphy secured the points in Manchester.

- In 74 games between the sides at Old Trafford Liverpool have won 14, drawn 25 and lost 36. They have scored 65 goals, with the first coming from Arthur Goddard in 1910 and the last a John O'Shea own goal in 2004.

- In the Premier League the Reds have won three, drawn four and lost nine.Don Hutchison scored the first of 10 Liverpool have got there since 1992/93.

- In recent history Michael Owen, Robbie Fowler and John Barnes have all scored six against United but Gordon Hodgson and Harry Chambers both went one better and scored seven.

- The all-time top goalscorer against United is Dick Forshaw. He was an inside forward who, after making his debut in September 1919, went on to score 124 goals for the club, with eight of them coming against the Manchester United. He later moved across Stanley Park to join Everton but is still revered at Anfield for the number of goals he scored against the old rivals from up the East Lancs Road.​

·
Registered
23,264 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
We may be out of the title race, but it would be great if we at least did the double against them in a season, would be a huge mentality boost for our next season, but certainly it will be difficult, and 'difficult' is an understatement.

:hopeful:

·
Premium Member
40,302 Posts
We may be out of the title race, but it would be great if we at least did the double against them in a season, would be a huge mentality boost for our next season, but certainly it will be difficult, and 'difficult' is an understatement.

:hopeful:
:thumbsup:

a gree with ya. to beat them twice a season would have a great boost for our team and i do love to see our team do it. :hopeful:

·
Registered
6,820 Posts
Can't even bear thinking about this game, we have left ourselves a mountain to climb to even get back into the title race, to do that we must win away at old trafford, if I'm honest I don't have the highest of hopes, I hate these games, the tension kills me.

·
Registered
16,663 Posts
I don't think this game is that big really, the Man Utd team is the strongest mentally in Europe, sadly they are winners, if they lose I don't see them collapsing and letting us back in the title race.

That's not to say we shouldn't fight untill the end, untill it's mathmatically impossible, still want to destory the horrible inbred *****.

·
Registered
265 Posts
If we defend set pieces well and don't concede from them we have a chance of getting a win, so I hope we worked on that in training. Sylvestre, O'Shea, Ferdinand, Tevez, etc brings back bad memories of these games. Vidic, Ferdinand and Ronaldo are all big threats in the air, if we go behind it's game over against them at Old Trafford. They are a good team but they're very reliant on set pieces, getting the ball into the box and getting a head onto it, doesn't get pointed out enough. Opening goals in the Inter and Chelsea games this season came from corners and they're the only big games they've won this season so we have to defend set pieces well to have any chance. (We've scored more goals from open play this season and last season than United but we're shocking at scoring from set pieces, only Hyypia can attack the ball well for us).

Let's hope Gerrard, Masch (he owes us one after last year), Alonso, Torres and the defence are all on top form and we have some luck for the first time in a while there, not optimistic though, they are formidable at home and have been for the last few seasons, their record gets overlooked, only dropped points like 3 times in something like 30 games at home so it's going to be hard but we've been excellent in the big games this year so that gives me hope of getting a win.

·
Registered
265 Posts
I don't think this game is that big really, the Man Utd team is the strongest mentally in Europe, sadly they are winners, if they lose I don't see them collapsing and letting us back in the title race.

That's not to say we shouldn't fight untill the end, untill it's mathmatically impossible, still want to destory the horrible inbred *****.
Agree, I don't see it as a big game that way, no way we can win every game from now until the end of the season (can always hope obviously!). Man Utd v Liverpool are always massive games.

·
Registered
2,659 Posts
Massive game

The game against Madrid gave me good hope though. Sadly enough it always goes wrong when I have big expectations from a game :D

·
Registered
6,820 Posts

sadly 100 per cent true, even if they lose they have the mental strength to carry on getting results regardless. can't wait till fergie pops off.

·
Registered
23,264 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
This game is not about denting their title chances or whatever, this game is about putting that little damp patch in their title, this game is about making us believe that we CAN do it, maybe not this year but we CAN do it.

·
nomad
5,597 Posts
If this game was scheduled around the same date but last month, then we'd have had no chance in hell to win or even get something out of it, not like our chances are significantly higher now, but at least the win vs. Real gives us hope (But then again the fact that this is a league game makes it seem almost beyond our ability)... If we somehow manage to 'own' them and boss them around like we did vs. Madrid, then we would stand a chance I reckon, but then again, we thrive in Europe, and stutter domestically... :(

·
nomad
5,597 Posts
Bit of a daft question here, why can't we play in the league like we play in Europe? (Especially as we played in the 2nd leg vs. Real)

Obviously the game plans differ greatly in European games, and you can't take the same risks in league games, but what about the blatant intent? The desire and the hunger that was for all to see on Tuesday night?

Someone said on the CL thread that it's not possible as it is physically draining, thoughts?

·
Registered
16,482 Posts
I really don't see how winning this match will have any bearing whatsoever on next season.

·
Registered
3,343 Posts
0-2

This one for rooney :finger:

:cecco:

·
Registered
3 Posts
Totally agree with RedStevie's comments re. the importance of defending set pieces against United. The other thing with United lately is that they have continually been able to score the timely goal at key points in the game.

·
Premium Member
40,302 Posts

i agree with every single word. manutd isn`t an easy to beat at the OT, but still it`s possible and if we win this game some views will be changed, i.e the reds chance to challenge for the league title, who knows.

·
Premium Member
40,302 Posts
If this game was scheduled around the same date but last month, then we'd have had no chance in hell to win or even get something out of it, not like our chances are significantly higher now, but at least the win vs. Real gives us hope (But then again the fact that this is a league game makes it seem almost beyond our ability)... If we somehow manage to 'own' them and boss them around like we did vs. Madrid, then we would stand a chance I reckon, but then again, we thrive in Europe, and stutter domestically... :(
you are right, this one is a league game not in ucl. don`t forget that we won against real madrid 2 weeks ago then lost from boro. :lala:

so, let us forget the impressive win 4-0 against real madrid and to focus in this one.

1 - 20 of 142 Posts