Xtratime Community banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
38,252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
http://www.cadenaser.com/deportes/a...esto-pagar-150/serpro/20081203csrcsrdep_1/Tes

150M€ to Real Madrid and 13M€ per year on wages... a world-record proposal for arguably the best goalkeeper in the World.

------------------------------------------------

This kind of proposal is unprecedented in World Football. Here we have owners who are willing to pay the recession clauses of established, world-class players already contracted to some of the best teams in the World. Abramovich never treaded similar waters, his record signing is a paltry 45M€ for Andriy Shevchenko.

It is fairly clear that Man City are intent on shaking the football world in January - but who is a realistic target for them?

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
Actually I think that noone of the players I've read them hunting after have any thought of leaving their team for them (these would be Casillas, Messi, Buffon). The only one who might have a small chance of leaving for them would be Kaka.

The players they are hunting for (the three I mentioned above) have very strong ties to their club, Casillas born and raised in Madrids academy almost, Messi thinking that he almost holds his life as a debt for his succes to Barcelona (He has said so a couple of times I remember) and Buffon even beeing willing to play Serie B with Juve instead of leaving for any team. These guys have to much love and dedication for their club and I think that Man City can scratch them off their list quite rapidly, and plus, the amount of money these three are making is more than any human mind can imagine of doing with it, so Man Citys money wouldn't attract them at all.

Kaka on the other hand (like Ronaldo this summer) can't keep his mouth closed and sometimes releases comments of him beeing willing to join them, though I don't he will.

Right now the best bet Man City has is going after young talents who can become very good. They won't be able to sign superstars (maybe someone) like Villa, Buffon, Messi, etc for the reasons mentioned above.

·
First Place winner, January 2009 Photo Contest
4,108 Posts
Right now the best bet Man City has is going after young talents who can become very good. They won't be able to sign superstars (maybe someone) like Villa, Buffon, Messi, etc for the reasons mentioned above.
No offense Boludo but I think you are being a little naive.

In the end money talks and football is business. If they throw enough cash at a club or player, Man City can sign almost anybody they want.

Sure there might be the odd exception, but generally speaking they will indeed be able to sign superstars if they really want to.

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
No offense Boludo but I think you are being a little naive.

In the end money talks and football is business. If they throw enough cash at a club or player, Man City can sign almost anybody they want.

Sure there might be the odd exception, but generally speaking they will indeed be able to sign superstars if they really want to.
I might be, but do you actually believe that if these guys gave Javier (ofcourse I'm taling about Zanetti) millions after millions, that he'd actually leave? I don't, he loves Inter and has shared to much with the club to leave for money (not like he's earning little money right now). Some players can't be bought, some men live their life with honor, love and respect and I don't think that they can leave their club. Maybe I'm naive but I can't see it happen.

·
First Place winner, January 2009 Photo Contest
4,108 Posts
Yeah, some players are exceptions, especially club icons such as Zanetti for Inter, or Casillas for Real, but they are an exception rather then the rule.

Those players are getting rare.

·
Registered
22,221 Posts
it just depends on the player really look at Beckham no doubt a very wealthy man prior to going to the U.S,but for the amounts of money thrown at him by the Galaxy how many players would've refused that?It's tough to say many players cant be bought and simply wont be,but at the end of the day the dollar does always have a huge say.It also just depends on how much someone may want and is it worth it to take that risk?

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
Yeah, some players are exceptions, especially club icons such as Zanetti for Inter, or Casillas for Real, but they are an exception rather then the rule.

Those players are getting rare.
True, but those are exactly the players Man City are chasing (not Zanetti in this case). I haven't read about them trying to sign Van den Vaart or Camoranesi, they are going for the big guns of the big clubs and that's where I don't think they'll suceed.

·
Registered
38,223 Posts
I don't want Casillas. I guess we can sign him as back-up for when we sign Buffon :D

I doubt we'll sign all the stars we're rumoured with, but I do think we'll manage to get some big players. We should go for big players from places like Germany and France. I mean players like Lucho Gonzalez, Diego and Cana.

·
Rei Brasileiro
8,569 Posts
I don't want Casillas. I guess we can sign him as back-up for when we sign Buffon :D

I doubt we'll sign all the stars we're rumoured with, but I do think we'll manage to get some big players. We should go for big players from places like Germany and France. I mean players like Lucho Gonzalez, Diego and Cana.
I agree. Ribery, Toni, Diego, Lucio....all much needed

·
Registered
9,491 Posts
The guys are just overdoing it, really. Why should a starplayer go from his homeclub to a destination where balance is hardly found and things seem rather unstable. The owners are really not getting the point as when you spend 100+ M€ every transfer market its not the titles you achieve, its the unstable squad you come up with. And although you may spend the most on players, the titles arent guaranteed. I even wonder how much does Hughes have to say in the matter ? Or is he just a puppet who takes orders and when everything fails is to be blamed ?

Another worrying sign for the City fans should be that arabian billionaires dont seem to have a project as to what kind of players to sign and for what positions. At the moment its more like oh he has a fancy name...lets sign him! I mean why should you go for a GK when in this position you are covered with 2 young keepers with future potential. Every project takes time and you need to build its foundations solid, not splashing money around like a kid in candy shop. Thats the way you guarantee the longevity of the project in hand.

But glad to see that the project is serious at least in the means of money spent and its always nice to see new clubs in Europe and maybe in CL instead of the old guard.

BTW how has the financial crisis affected City´s owners as Dubais and Abu Dhabi´s stockmarkets havent done exactly well lately ?

·
Cachorro
18,741 Posts
Some players can't be bought, some men live their life with honor, love and respect and I don't think that they can leave their club.
The thing is, a player who accepts such a ridiculously generous offer will be perfectly capable of "living his life with honor, love and respect" - NONE of those things are lost when one accepts a job offer, no matter how much it may wound some fans of the player's previous club.

Seriously, you guys crack me up sometimes. The absolute majority of the world's players have signed with their current clubs because of money, NOT because being with that club would magically bestow "honor and love" unto them. Tevez, Gago and Cambiasso didn't leave Argentina looking for "honor", they left because a footballer's wages in Europe are far better than in Argentina. Let's not be naive. The only ones who are in it for "love" are us fans, and sometimes some of us mistakenly project those feelings on the players.

And please, don't bother offering examples of Endless Unshakeable Loyalty. If Milan were a small 2nd division club like Cremonese that couldn't pay big wages, Maldini would've left them long ago and signed with someone who could pay what he deserves - like Baggio left Vicenza and Signori left Leffe. The reason they're called "professionals" is because they do it for money.

·
Registered
38,223 Posts
The guys are just overdoing it, really. Why should a starplayer go from his homeclub to a destination where balance is hardly found and things seem rather unstable. The owners are really not getting the point as when you spend 100+ M€ every transfer market its not the titles you achieve, its the unstable squad you come up with. And although you may spend the most on players, the titles arent guaranteed. I even wonder how much does Hughes have to say in the matter ? Or is he just a puppet who takes orders and when everything fails is to be blamed ?

Another worrying sign for the City fans should be that arabian billionaires dont seem to have a project as to what kind of players to sign and for what positions. At the moment its more like oh he has a fancy name...lets sign him! I mean why should you go for a GK when in this position you are covered with 2 young keepers with future potential. Every project takes time and you need to build its foundations solid, not splashing money around like a kid in candy shop. Thats the way you guarantee the longevity of the project in hand.

But glad to see that the project is serious at least in the means of money spent and its always nice to see new clubs in Europe and maybe in CL instead of the old guard.

BTW how has the financial crisis affected City´s owners as Dubais and Abu Dhabi´s stockmarkets havent done exactly well lately ?
Don't be ridiculous. These rumours come from the press who at the moment appear to just throw a dart at a wall of pictures of stars and then guess the amount we'll pay. Al Mubarak has publicly stated in the press he wants to build slowly, and won't go beserk with money. I fully expect that too. His press releases have made a lot of sense, and Suleman al Fahim who has made the proclamations to sign Ronaldo for 135m is not part of the board any more.

·
Premium Member
13,059 Posts
The thing is, a player who accepts such a ridiculously generous offer will be perfectly capable of "living his life with honor, love and respect" - NONE of those things are lost when one accepts a job offer, no matter how much it may wound some fans of the player's previous club.

Seriously, you guys crack me up sometimes. The absolute majority of the world's players have signed with their current clubs because of money, NOT because being with that club would magically bestow "honor and love" unto them. Tevez, Gago and Cambiasso didn't leave Argentina looking for "honor", they left because a footballer's wages in Europe are far better than in Argentina. Let's not be naive. The only ones who are in it for "love" are us fans, and sometimes some of us mistakenly project those feelings on the players.

And please, don't bother offering examples of Endless Unshakeable Loyalty. If Milan were a small 2nd division club like Cremonese that couldn't pay big wages, Maldini would've left them long ago and signed with someone who could pay what he deserves - like Baggio left Vicenza and Signori left Leffe. The reason they're called "professionals" is because they do it for money.
Brilliant post, I was going to post something along these lines but I think you did it better than I would have.

·
Registered
1,198 Posts

I agree and you have a good point. However moving from a club that's already giving you a salary of about 9 million euros (some top players have those wages) then it would be (or atleast be looking like) absolute greed going to a club that's willing to give you 11 millions when in actuality the club you left is a better one and you've stayed there almost your entire life. There are always diffrent scales of everything, one person can be a little greedy and others can act like Michael Douglas in Wall street.

Either way, my intended meaning with my posts was to share my viewes on the fact that I don't think that Man Cty can by these "giants" (Buffon, Casillas etc.). The fact that people are money-hungry I know and definantly footballplayers. Though I don't like to generalize, espcially when there are people who do change their life for "the worse" to bring joy to others (doctors without borders and other groups for example)

·
Registered
9,491 Posts
Don't be ridiculous. These rumours come from the press who at the moment appear to just throw a dart at a wall of pictures of stars and then guess the amount we'll pay. Al Mubarak has publicly stated in the press he wants to build slowly, and won't go beserk with money. I fully expect that too. His press releases have made a lot of sense, and Suleman al Fahim who has made the proclamations to sign Ronaldo for 135m is not part of the board any more.
Ok then its cool if they are doing this the right way. They have some head start in this aspect cause the youth setup is already performing and some of homegrown players are already the few leaders in this aspect.
Also great stadium.

·
Registered
5,754 Posts

You made some brilliant points which I agree with more or less. But I do want to point that there are exceptions (as rare as that might seem)Batistuta with Fiorentina who stayed with them even though they got relegated, Bebeto with Depor. I'm not saying Bebeto is a loyal 'through and through' Depor fan for live but perhaps he loved the city, the fans, etc (there are many reasons..) and he 'perhaps' could not have been tempted to a move to Barca or Real with more money. Requilme is a recent example, a player who loves being appreciated by fans and club alike and wouldn't move just for teh money (perhaps he already has when he left for Barca from Argentina but he could have moved to another big club after the world cup).

What people are forgetting when they talk about Citey destroying clubs tradition are all these historical big clubs also got their big break back in the days before Internet and mass media. I doubt all these big club got where they are now just simply by winning more trophies then the other clubs. I'm not denying there are some who done it but not all (or majority). So people need to look at themselves before jumping on Man C's case. Yes it is alarming the number of clubs who are being purchased by rich people and it could have devastating effect if this is not looked at and perhaps regulated. It is not nice to see a club like PSV who are nothing more then a feeder club to Chelsea, historically bigger then Chelsea.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.