·
Registered
465 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Which type of managers are the more successful ? Give examples

·
Registered
8,152 Posts
I don't care if they have played the game or not, If they know how to manage the team to a great effect thats all that counts.

''You don't have to be had been a Horse to be a Jockey'' - Arrigo Sacchi

·
Banned
10,200 Posts
managers which were bad players tend to make better managers

examples

Ferguson, Mourinho and Wenger

on the other hand, Tony Adams :)

·
Banned
10,200 Posts
The Green One said:
Mourinho never played. Keegan was a great player, but look at him as a manager.

~ The Green ;)ne
Mourinho played for an amateur football team :thmbup: there was pictures of him a couple of months ago playing for them too

·
Honorable Mention, February 2013 XT Photo Contest
21,026 Posts
KyleLeonard said:
Mourinho played for an amateur football team
Who hasn't played in an amateur football team.

Mourinho is the only Manager I know in a top league that has never played the game at a professional level. Are there others? And I am not talking about if they were bad players, I mean haven't played.

·
Registered
2,061 Posts
Luiz Felipe Scolari was a crap defender for Sociedade Esportiva Caxias do Sul.

·
International
9,526 Posts
KyleLeonard said:
managers which were bad players tend to make better managers

examples

Ferguson, Mourinho and Wenger

eh? Ferguson had a pretty good career, turned out for Rangers and played for Scotland a few times, back when they were a fairly decent team.

·
Registered
38,223 Posts
KyleLeonard said:
Mourinho played for an amateur football team :thmbup: there was pictures of him a couple of months ago playing for them too
I meant professionally, and you know it.

~ The Green :Dne

·
Registered
8,947 Posts
Managers who were successful in their professional player career usually tends to be carried away with their own style of play. If they were defender, they will tend to play defensive oriented game and vice-versa. Of course, there're managers who are also well-balanced like Capello and Ancelotti.

One example of world class player become a world class manager is Johan Cruyff.

·
Administrator
30,826 Posts
Mourinho is the only Manager I know in a top league that has never played the game at a professional level. Are there others?
I know it is not league, but Parreira never played either.
And there is other examples of good/great players who are good coaches: Beckenbauer, Zagallo, Tele Santana, Leao, Didi, Tim, Pepe, Evaristo de Macedo.
I would list Carlos Alberto Torres, but he was not really a good coach :)

·
Registered
25,902 Posts
KyleLeonard said:
Adams was doomed from the start at Wycombe, and everybody knows that. He had no experience at all and he was expected to steer a club clear of relegation? :howler: :rollani:

·
Registered
2,061 Posts
cruyff is very good
let's see how well van basten does with the dutch team

·
Premium Member
19,837 Posts
In France two "Players -> Managers" are doing very well lately, Le Guen with Lyon and even more sucessfull as player, Didier Deschamps with Monaco. Platini was disappointing with the French NT.

·
Xtratime's Head of Humour 2007
63,337 Posts
manegers that were never very good players probably have more hunger to prove themselves, but apart from that there is no hard and fast rule, basically anyone with a passion for the game could be a good coach if they worked hard enough and had some wits about them, it's hardly rocket science.

·
Registered
465 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thats a fair assessment. There are fewer non-player managers in football today that have been successful; i think only Alex Ferguson, Mourinho, Wenger, Scolari, Benitez and some others could be rated as the best managers of their eras.

·
Registered
38,223 Posts
We'll have to see how Stuart Pearce does at City. People presume that he will be a good manager because he was a great player and good captain. One game in he has been pretty impressive, despite our loss, and seems to be an improvement on Keegan. He did an alright job at Forest, who were a terrible team, and he was fighting a losing battle. He did win manager of the month there however.

~ The Green ;)ne

·
Premium Member
12,798 Posts
Arrigo Sacchi never played professionally but his Milan side is arguably if not the best Milan side in the Rossoneri's history :proud:

1 - 20 of 23 Posts