Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
23,556 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Looking very likely this is going to happen tomorrow with his contract ended at Olympiacos.

lng96cyEQMo

Looking forward to these types of press conferences (more importantly along with good results). Guy speaks the truth, little baby primadonna Turkish players will need to be smart and play hard ;).

Here is a write up from a Everton forum, probably the more comprehensive of anything i've seen out there.

Probably missing his Olympiacos history in the write up:

Current status and style of play:

Whilst assistant manager to Andre Villas-Boas, some of the Portuguese press had given him the title of the mastermind behind the operation as Porto encountered Domestic and European success. For the majority of his time as Porto manager he has come under criticism from fans for European performances over the two seasons, however fans have been happy with his league form. Most Porto fans are content to see him leave should he win or lose the league this season.

One criticism to his game is his stubbornness to change formation. Over his Porto career he has continuously used a 4-3-3 formation whether the players fitted it or not.

Despite being confident in his own abilities and perhaps portraying a cockiness and arrogance around himself, he tends to be less hands on during games, leaving motivational team talks to the captain.

Vitor Pereira's career:

Start of football career

He started life in football as an amateur footballer. However he never made it professionally and retired at the age of 29 to take a degree before starting a coaching role with the youth side of lower league Portuguese club Padroense. The following year he went on to train the Porto under 15 side in 2003. Midway through the 2004-05 season he was handed his first head coach role.

AD Sanjoanense & SC Espinho

In 2004-05, he took over the third division side AD Sanjoanense who had taken 16 points from 13 games. He won his first match 5-2 and finished the season on 53 points (37 of which he won). They finished 5th in a 19 team league.The season following his departure they finished bottom.

After his single season with AD Sanjoanense he returned home to manage his home team SC Espinho who had just been relegated to the third division of Portuguese football in the 2005-06 season. The third tier is split into four different leagues and despite losing the least amount of games (3) of all the 58 clubs he could only guide his side into the runners up place, just 4 points off the top.

In his second season as manager he was less successful. He was sacked with ten games remaining, the team eventually finishing 4th in the league.

CD Santa Clara

After a season of coaching Porto youngsters again he returned to management to lead second tier Portuguese side CD Santa Clara.The season before he took over, Santa Clara finished 10th in the 16 club league with the worst goal difference having conceded the most goals. In the 08-09 season, Pereira led his side to 3rd in the table just 1 point from promotion along with the 3rd best goal difference and 2nd tightest defence in the league. They were also the third highest scorers.

The second season was a similar story. He finished one place lower in 4th with Santa Clara however was just 3 points from Promotion/the title. They ended the season as the highest scorers and with the best goal difference despite falling short. Santa Clara also lost the least amount of games.

Porto

Initially, Pereira left Santa Clara to become assistant manager to current Tottenham manager Andre Villas-Boas at the start of the 2010-11 season. Once Villas-Boas transferred to Chelsea at the start of the 2011-12 season, he was promoted to manager of the club. He managed to retain the title with a 6 point gap over rivals Benfica. Champions league performances were poor losing out to Apoel Nicosia and Zenit in the group stages along with losing 5-1 on aggregate to Manchester city in the Europa League. They finished as top scorers with the best defence and best goal difference in the league. Pereira also picked up manager of the year.

The current season rests on a match between Porto and Benfica on Saturday night as Benfica lead the table by 2 points with just 2 games to go. They're both also unbeaten. Pereira had a net spend of -£60m in the summer thanks to the sale of Hulk in particular and £7m signing Jackson Martinez is the league's top scorer this season. They lost only to PSG in the group stage of the champions league but the campaign ended with a 2-0 defeat to Malaga in the last 16 despite winning the first leg 1-0.

Fwb0nRWHB7c

·
Registered
22,213 Posts
Seems like a good coach, a lot of the lazy Turkish players will wind up being "kadro disi" with this guy in charge. But then again you have to remember what Turkish players can do to a coach/coaches. Burak Yilmaz, Selcuk Inan, Sabri and a bunch of other scum are prime examples of this. You have a few cancerous players in your squad ayi Volkan and pic Emre being the most notable ones.

·
Registered
4,211 Posts
Portuguese coach with a lot of passion. Shouldn't take a lot to get used to our culture and he'll do great if he's as half as good as people say he is

·
Registered
23,556 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Seems like a good coach, a lot of the lazy Turkish players will wind up being "kadro disi" with this guy in charge. But then again you have to remember what Turkish players can do to a coach/coaches. Burak Yilmaz, Selcuk Inan, Sabri and a bunch of other scum are prime examples of this. You have a few cancerous players in your squad ayi Volkan and pic Emre being the most notable ones.
With the foreign limit out, Terraneo running the football branch. The baby Turkish players will have nobody to cry to

·
Administrator
24,772 Posts
omg vitor pereira :howler:

this is going to be fun:D

·
Registered
62,100 Posts
What are the opinions/feelings on him so far?

·
Registered
14,298 Posts
What are the opinions/feelings on him so far?
I'm still very optimistic. We've had some good and bad games but it's still early. Some fans are already calling for his head but I was never expecting us to dominate every game despite the roster improvements.

·
Registered
23,556 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
you'll get a mixed bag with the fans. In general everyone loved him to start, but as with any other club in Turkey they turn on you the second you do something unpopular.

Reality, RvP was crap in the Molde game along with the whole team. So he benched him, simple as that and that should've been the end of it. Apparently RvP told him to basically shut up and that the assistants already told him what is expected of him.

This was blown out of proportion as usual with things in Turkey. I'm a big VP fan.

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
I like what VP did with the line-up for the Bursa match. He basically told players like Caner and RvP that poor performances will not be tolerated and he rewarded Uygar who's been working hard in the training sessions with some playing time the last two games.

There is room for improvement. But overall I'm quite happy with VP.

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
I know it's a bit early. I'm just saying my reasons why I've been happy with VP so far. Also I forgot to say that VP has shown faith in Ozan Tufan especially after a poor performance against Molde.

1 - 20 of 63 Posts