Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
4,508 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alrite, im new to these forums :shades: . I stumbled across these forums and they look like they are very active. Today I was having some brain waves Man Utd's squad and system next season. I wrote them down below, what do you guys think of them;

Next Season Man Utd should change there game to a more continental system as to realy compete in the Champions League consistently (by this I mean later stages, not just getting out of the group stage). The game against AC Milan showed the inadequacies of the traditional fast paced english counter attack game. AC Milans domination of midfield limited Man Utds attacking ability thus rendering the pace and power of Rooney - Ronaldo - Giggs useless except realy on one occasion
This would require purchasing new players and the rotation of players who are getting 'old' ala Giggs and Keane. (I think fergie tried to land Solari in janurary to rotate with Giggs as Giggs age comes with inconsistency) Bidding for Michael Essein is a step in the right direction, good replacement for keane who, at 34 (next season) can become a usefull filler for midfield and defensive roles. If Essein is lured to Juventus or Real Madrid. Javier Mascherano is the only young player of Man Utd quality suitable for the holding midfield general role.

Purchasing a central midfielder will be needed this to partner scholes in the playmaker role. The best deal which could be found on this is probably Emre. who would go for around £8 million? as he has expressed desire to quit Inter Milan and play in the Premiership and Man Utd. Hes a great passer of the ball and has great vision. It looks like the Board is gonna be stingy with the money and if Glazer takes over, he will limit Fergie to £20 million budget, which will probably be split on a new keeper and and keano replacement. So then Kleberson would be good for this role, as the 442 english style is hard for Kleberson to adapt to. He flourished in a more flexible continental system for Brazil and Atletico Paraenaese (sp). This would give a 3 man midfield, excellent for dominating games with possesion, but which requires players with exception technical abilities (thats why I think in the premiership, teams have avoided this system as on average premiership club players have less technical ability than Italian and Spanish clubs). Scholes and Kleberson could work well together I feel as they are very similar.

Rooney and Ronaldo can then play as more centrally attacking midfielders who can drift out wide, which Ronaldo and Rooney have already demonstrated this season to great effect. Also worth noting is there great shooting (and dribbling skills) ability which can be utilised in those roles. This leaves Nistelrooy as the lone assasin up front - his perfect role. The defence can be reorganized into in my opinion, a more efficient system which leaves out the calamities of Silvestre and inconsitency of Brown who both can be sold or benched. G.Heinze is a natural centre half and played as one for PSG, very fast and tough tackling, hes perfect to partner the tall, big commanding sweeping Ferdinand. J.O Shea proved in the 2002-2003 season he can perform the LB role exceptionally well before his 2003-2004 'off' season which just about every man utd player had (that season is best forgotton).

In my fantasy, man utd's new lineup would look something like this next season

Proto/Toldo/Frey

Neville Ferdinand Heinze O'Shea

Essein/Mascherano

Scholes Emre/Kleberson

Rooney Ronaldo

Nistelrooy

Comments? :thumbsup:

·
Registered
156 Posts
Personally, I wouldn't have O'Shea anywhere near the first team.

My Championship-Manager masterplan would be:

Out

Silvestre - £5m
Saha - £7m
Kleberson - £2m
O'Shea - £4m

Income - £18m

Incoming

Kameni - £5m
Essien - £12m
King - £10m

Expenditure - £27m

Total outlay - £9m

First team

-----------------Kameni----------------

Neville---Ferdinand------King-----Heinze

--------Essien---Keane---Scholes-------

Ronaldo--------------------------Rooney

------------------Ruud------------------

Subs:
Howard
Brown
Spector/Pique
Fletcher
Giggs
Smith
Rossi

·
Banned
10,200 Posts
IN
Kameni
Essien

OUT
O'Shea
Saha
Kleberson
Phil Neville

Kameni

Heinze
Brown
Ferdinand
Neville

Scholes
Keane
Essien
Ronaldo

Rooney
Van the Man

·
Registered
4,218 Posts
IN
Pablo Aimar,
Sebastien Frey,
Morgan De Sanctis
Robbie Keane,
Ricardo Quaresma

OUT
Roy Carroll,
Tim Howard,
Mikael Silvestre,
Louis Saha,
Ryan Giggs?

·
Registered
15,634 Posts
Selling Giggs??? Buhahahhaha
And trading Saha for R.Keane would be daft as ****.

Essien is essential(or any other great DMC), and a keeper. Then after this season, a left winger should be a priority.

The club should leave the striking department alone, as we have tons of options there for next year. Ruud, Rooney, Smith, Saha, Rossi who is getting promoted, and if needed even Ronnie can go there.
For MC, to replace Scholesy and Fletcher when needed, Jonesy is getting promoted as well.
For defence, Spector is getting promoted, and if there is money, then buying a great CB to replace Mikael till Spector matures would be good. However that looks unlikely, so moving Spector to left back and Heinze to the centre would be good as well.

·
Registered
6,853 Posts
Welcome to the board FM and a good post to start off with! A detailed explanation of your side of things and that's very impressive!

I agree with most of what you had to say except for the left back slot. John O'Shea had a great first full season for us before the disaster that was 2003 but even now, he never looks to be his old self anymore. The confidence is completely gone and the lad never seems to know what to do next. The system that United plays requires pacey fullbacks who are quick thinkers and possess a good cross in them, Gaz is a perfect example while O'Shea's not!

While I also agree with you that Heinze should be partnering Rio in the center of our defense but the lack of quality cover on the left back slot has meant that the Argentinian has been forced to play out wide. Mind you, he is still doing an excellent job and has been the most consistent left-back in the country but you can clearly see that central defense is where he wants to be. However with the budget constraints of this summer, a new leftback is a luxury we cannot afford especially since its obvious for all to see that we need a new quality GK and a replacement for Keano.

I do feel that Kameni will arrive as the new GK while we will be making a serious effort for Essien and Mascherano though Van Bommel could ultimately arrive at Old Trafford. Klebs, who has been extremely unlucky with injuries, might be given one last season at the club or he could find himself to be the sacrificial goat if the Board decides to sell some before buying. It would be unfortunate for him since the team is finally playing a formation that he could excel in and not wait in the bench for Scholesy to tire and come off.

Anywayz it's gonna be an interesting time in the market but knowing United, we always do manage to pull of one of the transfers of the summer so I'm hoping for the best again!:)

·
Registered
4,433 Posts
In :thumbsup:

Frey
Van bommel
solari

Out :thmbdown:

O'shea
Howard
Ricardo

Team

Frey
G Neville, Ferdinand, Brown, Heinze
ronaldo,scholes,keane/van bommel,giggs/solari
RVN, Rooney

·
┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌&#874
14,769 Posts
mascherano is chelski bound. Quarasema...never , he is portista 4 life!1 :nono:

Out:
Smith
all da current keepers
Brown
Sylvestre
Kleb
Bellion
Neville

Frey

Miguel(Benfica)-Ferd-Spector-Heinz

CR-Keane/Pirlo-Sholes/Donovon-Giggs/Delgado

Ruud/Saha-Rooney

·
Banned
10,200 Posts
Spector isnt good enough yet and mascherano has gone to corinthians btw. No Neville in the team Johnny? Smith out? are you a chelsea fan in disguise?

·
Registered
17,028 Posts
i think mascherano followed Tevez to brazil did he not??

anyway, i think united need to look for a replacement for keane. Eissen would be good to get.

smith, rooney and ronaldo is a good set of players who are versitile so i would expect the future to see united change in terms of formation and style.

How long until Fergie leaves?

·
┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌&#874
14,769 Posts
Mascho and Tevez....chelski..they have their rights and then will go to chelski later...methinks, ok , Neville is a decent sub...Miguel is way better ; he flies . Need more dynamic playas at dat position and Miguel is dat :thmbup: heinze is a good defender...but is a shit attacker

Rossi>Smith :nono: n ' his salary is low :thmbup:

·
Registered
13,074 Posts
Jonny Knoxville said:
Mascho and Tevez....chelski..they have their rights and then will go to chelski later...methinks, ok , Neville is a decent sub...Miguel is way better ; he flies . Need more dynamic playas at dat position and Miguel is dat :thmbup: heinze is a good defender...but is a shit attacker

Rossi>Smith :nono: n ' his salary is low :thmbup:
Miguel won't be going to Man Utd.... He recently signed a huge extension my friend and unless a real good price is given, he will stay at Benfica.

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
In a fantasy world:

Original budget: 15m

Out:
Ricardo (free)
Carroll (free)
Silvestre (6m)
O'shea (4m)
P.Neville (3m)
Bellion (500k)
Kleberson (loan)
Miller (loan)

New Budget: 28.5m

In:
Karmeni (6m)
Chivu (10m)
Essien (12m)
Van Bommel (free)
Routledge (free)

·
Registered
6,853 Posts
SWP coming to Old Trafford. Impossible....just as Stevie G changing lanes and landing up at the Theatre of Dreams!:sigh:

·
Banned
2,825 Posts
IN

Sebastian Frey :star:

Ledley King

Pablo Aimar :star:

Santiago Solari

Michael Essien :star:

Van Bommel ?

Jerome Rothen :star:

The star means essential players

·
Registered
15,634 Posts
Signing Frey and Essien is crucial. If there are sales at the club, then Downing would be great as well.

1 - 20 of 68 Posts