Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
6,853 Posts
This game will see the debut of Saha for United.Which probably means that fergie will revertback to the 4-4-2 formation with Ruud and Saha up front.Phizza will be relegated to the bench as Keano and Scholesy starts in central midfield while Giggsy and any one of Ronaldo/Kleberson/Fletcher starting on the right.

This formation gives us more width and if Ronnie and Giggsy both start then definitely more pace down the flanks.Saha adds a new dimension to our play as he is an excellent header of the ball.

At the back Wes and Micky should be looking to form a new parnership at the center of the defence while Gaz should be back after 2 weeks out with a minor strain.

With Ole also returning from injury and playing for the reserves,its important that we don't drop any more points at this business end of the season otherwise catching Arsenal could become very difficult.

·
Xtratime's Head of Humour 2007
63,337 Posts
4-4-2 would makes Butt's Birmingham decision easier,if he can't get into a 5 man midfield,how will he get into a 4 ?

Saha couldn't have much of an easier debut,Southampton have been horrific lately,but i still take them to sneak it :D with a Beattie netbuster :eek:

·
Registered
9,325 Posts
According to soccerage.com, Giggs is still out injured and Gary Neville might not play either coz of injury. If thats the case, I think the following will be our starting line-up:

---------------------Howard
O'Shea-------Brown---Silvestre-----Fortune
Kleberson-----Keane----Scholes-----Ronaldo
---------------Saha-----RVN

Although we lost to Southampton once already this season, I dont expect to see a repeat of that happening tomorrow. I expect Man U to win quite comfortably. I predict a 3-1 win for us. Saha, RVN and Scholes to score for us. I hope I am right!!!

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
Louis Saha is expected to make his Manchester United debut against Southampton following his £12.8million arrival from Fulham last week.

He was ineligible for the FA Cup tie at Northampton but is expected to be one of a number of changes to the Red Devils side that beat the Cobblers.

Ruud van Nistelrooy, Roy Keane, Gary and Phil Neville and Kleberson are all available again.

Rio Ferdinand continues his long suspension, while Ryan Giggs (back) remains a doubt.

Southampton manager Gordon Strachan faces being without nine players. Rory Delap is out with an ankle injury while Neil McCann and Claus Lundekvam have hamstring problems.

Michael Svensson and David Prutton are both suspended while Graeme Le Saux has still not fully recovered from a torn tendon in his foot.

Goalkeeper Paul Smith is included in the squad after his £250,000 move from Brentford in midweek.

Last season: Southampton 0 Man Utd 2, Man Utd 2 Southampton 1

Last five league matches: Man Utd W W W D L; Southampton L L D L W

Top scorers: Ruud van Nistelrooy (Man Utd) 18; James Beattie (Southampton) 11

Match odds: H 2-9 A 17-2 D 4-1

·
Registered
15,634 Posts
We should win this game, and I predict 3-1 with Saha or Ronaldo (if he plays) to score. But Beattie and the other southampton players will be trying to do the double against us, so we cant take this game lightly.

Its going to be interesting to see, if fergie will play a 442 or a 4231 with saha behind ruud and scholes with keano in the centre.

·
Registered
2,255 Posts
We actually played good attacking football for the first time in ages. Saha, Ruud and Scholesy linked up very well.

The defence was all over the place though.

·
Registered
4,578 Posts
very exciting game, and howard kept us in it...the defence seriously has me worried, particularly with wes brown making mistakes everytime hes even remotely involved in any action...

from midfield onwards well be fine...weve got a great goalkeeper...but the defence will lead to our failings this year..champions league is a no-hoper (i cant see them holding back the shevas and the ronaldos), and the premeirship is up for grabs, but its gonna need something special from the defence

·
Registered
4,432 Posts
oooo Man utd are lucky lucky lucky ;).

First the own goal, then the poor goalkeeping. Then a goal that was offside and got deflected in. Man Utd also were very poor defensively.. a shambles, but you won not deservidly.. Southampton were the better side, but a wins a win.

·
Registered
9,325 Posts
sHaHed said:
I predict a 3-1 win for us. Saha, RVN and Scholes to score for us. I hope I am right!!!
I guess I was quite right. I was a little off though, Southampton scored two goals instead of one. I guess I didnt expect Kevin Phillips to start ;).

Saha had an excellent debut. Ronaldo was quite lively too. Ruud, Scholes and Saha linked up quite well. I was quite impressed with our offence and I am really glad that it will only improve once Giggs and Solskaer returns from injury.

The defence was a totally different story though. The whole of the back four looked really shaky. Maybe it was coz of the changes in the back-line. I really dont know. I surely hope we improve on it and we improve fast. Phil Neville didnt have a good game either.

I am only happy that we won this game.

·
┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌&#874
14,769 Posts
I feel for your defense:( No! I don't:tongue: ;)

·
Registered
6,853 Posts
What was pretty evident from this game was that Fergie made a grave error in not bringing in someone as cover for Rio's suspension.Wes Brown was simply awful today and his confidence seems to have been shattered.

Why Fergie's still persisting with Phizza even after Butt showed such class in the FA Cup baffles me.It's pretty evident that if you want a strongman to partner Keano in the center of that midfield then put Butt in rather than Phizaa because as they say form is temporary while class is permanent.

Saha has started off brightly showing plenty of confidence and effort.The goal though from a massive deflection will go a long way to easing his nerves and it was pretty visible that his game just kept on getting better after that.

Ronaldo was marked pretty tight on the right but his delivery from set pieces and crosses was impressive.Scholes and Keano as usual were magical with captain magnificent running his socks off during the length of the game.

Its the center of our defence which is worrying me now.Silvestre got used to playing with Rio and now the chemistry seems to be missing between him and Wes.Fergie needs to take Wes aside and have a chat with him because his confidence seems to be gone and this is affecting his game overall.Like someone pointed out above,these kind of defensive displays might be enough to see us through Soton but against superior opposition and high quality strikers we would be torn to shreds.

·
Registered
2,255 Posts
Keano's my favourite player, but I actually think he had a very poor game. He was hardly in the match and his passing was off all day.

And he said the same himself in his interview. And I've just bought the MEN and they only give him 4/10. Wes was worst with 3/10. Ron, Saha and Ruud all got 7.5/10 joint top.

·
Registered
15,634 Posts
wes was crap today. Like someone else said, we should have bought someone else in to cover for rio. If wes doesnt improve in the coming games, oshea should become silvestres partner for the rest of the season with fortune and g neville playing as left/right backs. O'shea will be greta in that position, while brown has looked very unconvincing since his comeback.

Or if fergie still wants to play o'shea as a left/right back, then maybe moving keano in centre defence, with kleberson playing the central midfield role with butt(fergie will choose p neville) could be an option too.

Our attack was great today. We were much more attack minded than in many games this season. Saha, Rvn, Scholes all had great games. Saha scored a deflected goal ad then his shot got converted by scholesy. Ronaldo was great on the right too. I still dont know how the linesman didnt give a penalty for that when you could cleary see that the guy handballed inside the box, but thankfully ruud scored from the resulting freekick. Howard kept us in the game, especially when we were 0-0 witha great 1on1 save and then also when we were 2-2.

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
I think Drito's right. Keane should play at centre back cos Brown is all over the place. Keano played there against Juve last season and he was quite impressive. The fact that Fortune isn't really a natural left back and he's not the best at defending, coupled with the absence of Gary Neville, who normally tries to sort the defense into some sort of shape, was probably why we were all over the place at the back today.

Apart from that, I'm quite pleased with the game today. Saha was brilliant..........I couldn't have hoped for a better debut, a goal within 18 minutes and great link up with the rest of the palyers...........I've very pleased. Ronaldo had a good game.........He's been getting better and better ever since every1 was slaging him off for being a one trick pony and a diver.

About time Butt got a game now. He was good last week, and phil had a poor game today. Hopefully Butt will stay, I dont see him going in the immediate future.

With Giggs and solksjaer back soon, and other options like kleberson, it can only get better, but the defense just has to be sorted. Brown has looked shaky in every single game i have seen him in.:(

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
Ferguson delighted with Saha debut

Sir Alex Ferguson believes Louis Saha can form a productive partnership with Ruud van Nistelrooy.

Speaking after United's 3-2 win over Southampton, the United boss said: "Saha did very well, I was very pleased. I took him off because he wasn't used to the pace of the game.

"There is something to work on with van Nistelrooy. The most important thing is that we do not want Ruud to carry the attacking burden. If they can both contribute as they did today we will be all right."

Meanwhile Gordon Strachan branded Southampton's defeat as "a farce".

The Southampton boss was adamant that Ruud van Nistelrooy was offside when the ball was played in for what was to be United's third goal, scored by the Dutchman for his 99th United strike.

Ferguson disagreed and said: "I haven't seen it again but this first-phase rule is confusing. When you lose a goal like this you say it's offside. We had one this season. Unfortunately some people don't accept the new rules.''

D

·
0 Posts
How much luck can one team get in a game?? an OG, a huge error from Niemi and a goal which had two players offside. great attacking play?? nonsense, you were average on saturday, a full strength saints would have hockied you.

·
Xtratime's Head of Humour 2007
63,337 Posts
at this tme you have 4 hrs and 50 minutes to buy a top centre half or midfielder :eek:

you won't win the UCL with Wes Brown in the team,or if Keane moves back you will have to replace with class,because Djemba,Butt,Neville or Kleberson can't replace the masterful Mick :D

having said that Keano looked very old on Saturday,mind he did last season and came on strong later. ;)

1 - 20 of 41 Posts