Xtratime Community banner

Man Utd v Man City

639 views 20 replies 10 participants last post by  kingkobra83 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
In this fixture, I expect Man Utd to beat Man City and advance to the 6th round of the FA Cup. I think the team will bounce back from its 3-2 loss to Middlesbrough in last Wednesday's Premier League play. It's quite obvious that Man Utd had some bad defensive play in its recent games. Still, www.s*******.com places Man Utd as the favorite (1.38) to win the game. Any thoughts on how Man Utd can improve its defensive play in the absence of Rio Ferdinand?

#2 ·
Preview: Man Utd v Man City

Gary Neville is set to add some defensive steel to the Manchester United line-up for the FA Cup fifth-round clash at Old Trafford.

Neville missed Wednesday's home defeat by Middlesbrough with a slight thigh strain but will return to an under-fire rearguard that has conceded eight goals in the last three Premiership matches.

Sir Alex Ferguson has reported a clean bill of health, so skipper Roy Keane should also return against Manchester City, while Ole Gunnar Solskjaer has an outside chance of being on the bench. Louis Saha is cup-tied.

City striker Nicolas Anelka has been ruled of the derby encounter as he has failed to recover from a groin strain.

The Frenchman's absence means Jon Macken is likely to partner Robbie Fowler up front, while Iceland goalkeeper Arni Arason is set to return at Old Trafford as David James is ineligible.

Sun Jihai is away on World Cup duty for China, while Trevor Sinclair remains sidelined with a calf injury.

Top scorers: Ruud van Nistelrooy (Man Utd) 22; Nicolas Anelka (Man City) 19

Match odds: H 1-3 A 7-1 D 3-1

Referee: J Winter (Cleveland)

#3 ·
We'll roast them and then eat 'em alive at Old Trafford tomorrow.:fero:

Fergie would be looking for a reaction from his team and despite our defence being in shambles,City is just plain sh!t.No other decent words to describe them.They havent won a game in the League for ages and despite the miracle at White Hart lane,we gotta remember that was against Tottenham and this is Old Trafford.

Even with calamity Wes at the back we should be too strong for them.Our attacking play has been impressive in the last few games and despite Van Buyten's presence we should be scoring goals tomorrow.

The fans,directors and most of all Fergie will undoubtedly settle for nothing less than a resounding win!

#4 · (Edited)
Finally got tickets for this match, although I had to pay a tenner over the face value. Really looking forward to it, the derby's are the best matches of the season for atmosphere. Although I think Highbury will be a cauldron this year due to what happened in the last match. (and I'm definitley travelling down for it)

2-0 for us against City.

Ruud 2,

Fancy Ronaldo to continue his run of excellent performances tomorrow and really run them ragged. (and of course fall down a few times:D )

#5 ·
I wouldn't be too confident Shaf,the pressure is off the Keegan lads with it being a cup match,they have the tools to cause you a lot of problems,tricky Wright Phillips against Fortune is a mismatch of the highest order and with 10,000 of their fans at the match,it's up for grabs.

anyway i'm not bothered who wins,but will sitting down to Sky hoping for a proper 'meat and spuds' F.A. encounter ;)

#7 ·
true Fergie will probably have screamed blue murder at them,but City are quite handy going forward even though their League position suggest not.

watch out for Jon Mackem,i have been quite impressed with him lately. ;)

oh fuk,Macken aint playing,Sibierski starts instead :depress:

#9 ·
Fcuk.....Gary Neville sent off for headbutting some citeh cvnt.

Were 1-0 up by a goal from scholes.

#12 ·
Jern Lizardhous said:
4-1 ,another offside scandal for the last goal,does anyone know what offside means anymore? :eek:
I've been saying for a long time that I think we should go back to the old days of any players being behind the defence are marked as offside (apart from when a player is injured or its really obvious they're inactive). The current system is too confusing for refs.

#13 · (Edited)
Good win but Gaz should be spoken to for that unnecessary burst of anger.No need for that behaviour and all it did was to get him sent off.You could expect such behaviour from novices like Barton or some other City sh!t but not from Gaz.:rollani:

We looked more composed today before Gaz got into that mess.It just proved that the defence is not strong enough to play with a single CM.They need two men in front of them be it Phizza or Butt to partner Keano in the center of our midfield.

The first goal was a true marvel.Slick one touch passing tore City open and Scholes converted at the end though Reyna could easily have scored an own goal had he tried to clear the ball.

In the second half,City had plenty of good oppurtunities but Howard was equal to everything they had to offer.Apart from the poor Mecca finish the rest of the shots were well directed and heading for goal had it not be for Howard's strong hands.After we scored the 3rd goal it was effectively over as a contest and City never looked like getting back.

Ruud's two goals combined wouldn't measure a yard from goal!:DYet as usual,the giant Dutchman was there when called upon and for his second goal he was onside even when the first ball was delivered by Giggs at the far post.

A good win which we needed.City's season is over and now they can only pray that they don't get pushed into relegation battle.Hopefully our team will only build on from this point since the most crucial stretch of the season is about to begin.

#15 ·
Jern Lizardhous said:

the killer second was a foulby Keane on Fowler though for sure ,good game to watch though.;)
The ref let a lot of challenges like that go considering it was a derby.

Howard should be specially praised though for his performance especially the save he pulled off Barton's shot from point blank range.

#16 ·
Howard was amazing today. He kept us in the game when we were at 1-0....his save against barton was superb.

In the 1st hald our attack was great, but i dont know what g neville was thinking. I mean if it was a penalty then ya sure, i would have been pissed off too, but it was a clear dive so i dont know why the fuk he had to go and headbutt mcmanaman.

Ronaldo was great today (apart from when he didnt mark tarnat for the goal),,,,he put a great cross for ruuds 1st and then scored from a header but he was offside. He then scored from the giggsys shot which the citys keeper did great to keep out

the rules need to change,,,like many people are saying, any player that is behind the defence should be called offside so that there is no confusion, and the rule of a quick freekick is bollox too. I mean i felt sorry for howard who was on the post setting up the wall when fowler scored.....when the ref lets a player shoot quickly its so unfair for a keeper to not know that the guy isnt goign to shoot.

#17 ·
I am thoroughly proud of the boys today - they played with a heart and spirit that has been lacking in the last few games.

Surely it is no coincidence that this improved performance involved Brown and Fletcher being dropped - they both aren't good enough.

I agree with Jern - in the first half when we had 11 men everything looked far more stable with the formation we played due to the fact Saha was cuptied.

I think special mention needs to go to Howard for his excellent 2nd half saves and the workrate of RVN who led the line excellently and was a constant thorn for City.

Here's hoping for a home draw in the quarter finals !!!

#19 ·
_Eight_Ball_ said:
Fletcher is a Defensive central midfielder; its no secret he constantly gets played out of position wide on the right.
Agreed - but I still don't think he is good enough. His style reminds me of Jonathan Greening (another player I don't rate) - I think Fletcher lacks class and is only getting games at Utd because Fergie views him as the great Scottish hope (or should I say hype) - he hasn't influenced any Utd games - and I shudder to think of him as a defensive midfielder as in all of his games this season I have not seen him put in one noteworthy tackle.

#20 ·
Drito said:
i dont know what g neville was thinking. I mean if it was a penalty then ya sure, i would have been pissed off too, but it was a clear dive so i dont know why the fuk he had to go and headbutt mcmanaman.
what the **** are you talking about exatly?

There WAS contact on Neville and it should have been a penalty but Nev's exagerated dive cost him.

Then Mcmanaman should not have put his head on Nev, who then had to go for his reaction

did you even watch the game?

#21 ·
Neville: I won't beat myself up over mistake

Gary Neville has admitted he "made a mistake" when he headbutted Steve McManaman in Manchester United's FA Cup fifth-round tie against Manchester City at Old Trafford.

Neville, who had a penalty appeal turned down and then clashed with the City midfielder in the melee that followed, was sent off by referee Jeff Winter.

"I made a mistake but I am not going to beat myself up about it," he said in his column in The Times.

"I am annoyed with myself because I will be suspended for some important matches but that is the only reason to regret what happened with Steve McManaman. It was out of character and I am confident it was a one-off.

"Firstly I was 100 per cent convinced at the time that I deserved a penalty.

"Now I have seen the replays I can understand why the referee did not give it but the defender caught my shins and missed the ball completely.

"When I got up three City players were rushing towards me. I pushed them out of the way but McManaman brushed his head against mine.

"When he came towards me again I pushed my head forward in anticipation of him doing the same. I have no problems with the referee's decision because it looks like a headbutt."

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.