Xtratime Community banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
22,221 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
An australian citizen was found guilty of carrying 400 grams of Heroin into Singapore,And with Singapore's tough laws this means the death Penalty.In fact anything over 15 grams can be subjected to death.
Yet our foreign Affairs Minister is trying to plead Clemency in this case,I don't understand where the Priorities are.How many people could these drugs of killed and Alexander downer wants Clemency.Even on one of our talk back programs a well known Presenter was standing up for the Convicted Drug Trafficker.
I cannot believe this you go into another country and respect their laws,The problem is with our laws in australia are that they're piss weak and allow the Criminals to make a sweet Mockery out of the Judicial system.

·
Registered
5,926 Posts
Schumy said:
An australian citizen was found guilty of carrying 400 grams of Heroin into Singapore,And with Singapore's tough laws this means the death Penalty.In fact anything over 15 grams can be subjected to death.
Yet our foreign Affairs Minister is trying to plead Clemency in this case,I don't understand where the Priorities are.How many people could these drugs of killed and Alexander Downer wants Clemency.Even on one of our talk back programs a well known Presenter was standing up for the Convicted Drug Trafficker.
I cannot believe this you go into another country and respect their laws,The problem is with our laws in australia are that they're piss weak and allow the Criminals to make a sweet Mockery out of the Judicial system.
This is the same Alexander Downer who facetiously referred to his party's policy on women and domestic violence as "The things that batter" (One of the Liberal Party's slogans at the time was The Things That Matter)...

He's clueless no doubt, but at the same time he has a responsibility to protect the interests and well-being of all Australian nationals abroad, regardless of the situation they find themselves in.

·
Registered
26,731 Posts
I'm not sure what clemency means, but if Australia does not enforce the death penalty, I find it logical that the goverment is trying to prevent an Australian citizen from snuffing it out under it.

·
Registered
22,221 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Drug smugglers deserve everything they bvget,They're just as guilty bringing the S**T in that could kill any of our Innocent.Rope them all they're plain scum.

·
Sheperdesque
21,256 Posts
but at the same time he has a responsibility to protect the interests and well-being of all Australian nationals abroad, regardless of the situation they find themselves in.
So what about David Hicks and Mahmoud Habib? Not even an eyebrow was lifted for them by our government. Could it maybe be that becaus they're held by the Americans and this ******** is held by pissweak Singaporeans whose laws we shouldnt respect. Hypocracy or sucking up someone's arse? You tell me....

·
Registered
16,376 Posts
Death penalty for smuggling drugs? That's awful.

You say that drugs kill, and in some cases they do. But I think it's a clear difference between killing someone with a gun or a knife, and selling someone heroin. The person that takes the heroin, although probably addicted to it, is doing it of free will.

You can't really compare heroin to a gun, even if both end up killing people, but if I say that someone who sells guns is not responsible for someone who was killed by that gun, I think you understand what I mean.

I'm against the death penalty, but if a country has to have it, it should be against people who either ordered people to kill other people, or against people who killed other people themselves. Heroin/drug selling does not fall under that rule.

·
Registered
5,926 Posts
Bosanac said:
So what about David Hicks and Mahmoud Habib? Not even an eyebrow was lifted for them by our government. Could it maybe be that becaus they're held by the Americans and this ******** is held by pissweak Singaporeans whose laws we shouldnt respect. Hypocracy or sucking up someone's arse? You tell me....
Whilst Hicks and Habib aren't facing an imminent death sentence, you could well argue that Downer is being hypocritical.

·
Sheperdesque
21,256 Posts
Mate we're on the same page, i didn't say anything about them facing an imminent death penalty, i just replied to your comment
but at the same time he has a responsibility to protect the interests and well-being of all Australian nationals abroad, regardless of the situation they find themselves in.
key words being "responsibility", "protect", "well-being", "interests" and "regardless"

Downer is hardly acting 'responsibly'. He aint 'protecting' nothing but his government's self appointed right to call the shots in Asia coz Howard thinks he is the region's policeman. 'Well-being', 'interests', Hicks and/or Habib can't go in the same sentence, as even Hicks' lawyer (a major in the US Army) was here about a month ago stating the case of how unfair and unjust his trial will be under the US plans and urging our Government to do everything they can to bring them back. 'Regardless' is a term he and Johnny use to justify the things they do in their own interest not in the interest of 'all Australian nationals abroad'

I want to clarify that i am against the death penalty but i am not a citizen of Singapore and therefore i have no say in it just like i don't in Saudi Arabia or in the USA. I should just do my best to uphold the laws of any country i am visiting and don't be a fool to think that the man in question was not aware of these laws, he was and he took a chance (he is a goose) But i still believe he doesn't deserve to die so yeah try to save him or bring him back, whatever they decide but please apply the same protocol for all other Aussies abroad 'regardless' the trouble they are in.

·
Registered
5,926 Posts
Fair enough and well said. ;)

·
Registered
4,543 Posts
Well one would have to be worried if the Australian government did not try and help this guy out. He is an Australian Citizen ffs, so therefore the government should try and help him out.

·
Registered
22,221 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
No about Drugs and if they kill your child how would you feel?Help this guy out Singapore has a law and for a reason it has one.If you would say that Drug Smuggling is'nt serious then I'd be amazed.
Yeah let's try and help these types of people who are in this Business,That's a great one.:rolleyes:

·
Premier Player
3,682 Posts
Can he read English?

From the plane to the customs there are a zillion signs and announcements stating that drug trafficking is a capital punishment in Singapore. The drugs were clearly on him, and not planted etc.

I know some of the laws were incredibly stupid or harsh and some of our judges are SOBs, that is another issue.

When the sign above say DEATH for drug traffackers, a sane person had better take notice.

·
Registered
4,543 Posts
I fully understand what you are saying. I also think you should understand that australia has the right to ask for leniency. It is under an obligation to help its citizens. Do you not understand what im getting at?

·
Registered
3,977 Posts
Australia is right to try and get this fellow more humane treatment. The punishment doesn't fit the crime here.

·
Registered
3,784 Posts
Drugs kill people who want to die.

"Drugs killed my baby!" = bollocks.

·
Registered
22,221 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
And Singapore has the right to say Va caccare.For crying out loud the guy was caught with Heroin not Jelly Beans Yes HEROIN.And what do we have to wait until a Politician's child is killed by drugs for something to happen.
Instead of wasting time to defend a useless scum and help them,we should be concentrating on helping more worthy people.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts