Xtratime Community banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Real Mallorca have crashed out of Europe after losing 4-3 on aggregate to FC Ceahlaul Piatra Neamt of Romania in the Second round of the Intertoto Cup.

Mallorca were beaten 3-1 in Romania and will now miss out on European football for the remainder of the forthcoming season.

FC Ceahlaul will now move on to the Third round of the competition, where they will play Austian side FK Austria Wien who beat Nea Salamis FC of Cyprus 6-1 on aggregate.

·
Registered
7,202 Posts
There you go, finalists in Cupwinner cup 2 seasons ago an now they loose to some Romanian team...Does anyone know if they have lost more then these players?

Lauren
Dani
Elena Marcelino
Roa (back now, but probably not the same great keepr as before)
Since their "triumph" in the CWC?

Real&Barcafan

·
Registered
10,086 Posts
This is some surprise and i feel sorry for Mallorca. Too bad they didn't have our great Samuel Eto'o!:D

·
Registered
526 Posts
Well they did field their "B" team. I don't think confidence had much to do with it. From what I read they wanted to give the first division squad some rest and they allowed their junior team from division 3 (or more accurate, 2b) to play the tie.

·
Registered
7,202 Posts
I have something that is interesting. How come there are THREE Argentine keepers at the club where two of them on form are potential National nr#1's?

Gérman Burgos: A bit of a clown and i like watching him. Saw him first at the "Copa America" and had strong reflexes and dexterity. He also, like i wrote had that charisma everybody likes.

Carlos Roa: We all know him, a superb keeper that would be among top 10 EASY if he wasnt such a religious wacko...I am afraid that Carlos Roa will not be the same as when Argentina were at WC 98 and Mallorca were "cup winners" and Cup winners cup finalists.

Leo Franco: Cant be tht old, he is good but for example Cavallero and Herrare are better Argentines. Is very unexperienced...Is second chice because i reckon one of the above will leave...

What do you think about the Argebntines?

·
Registered
10,086 Posts
Well as always in football these situatios don't come by coincidence. In the 98/99 season Mallorca were quite a potent force and they backed it up with two very solid goalkeepers, Roa and Franco. Roa was the new thing on the block after a big succes in WC '98 where he pipped, the other two internationals for the spot - that was in fact quite a surprise and many thx must go to pasarella for recognizin his talent. Unfortunately he is an idiot, some religious freak and last year decided to retire. The board in Mallorca didn't want to risk only having Franco and decided to bring in Roa's next man in the national team - Burgos (only Cavalerro chalenged him, now there is this guy Caceres?). So last year Leo once again sat it out, and now that Roa is back the Balean team has three top class Agentinains, from which only Leo franco has a EU passport (italian I believe). You guess who will start:) Maybe they will also buy Cavalerro, Caceres and Carlos Navaro Montoya to complete the Argentinian sweep?:D:D:D;) hahaha, that would be asking too much, ey?:D

·
Registered
7,202 Posts
Mallorca last season: They indeed bought the flamboyant Gérman Burgos but he was "cought" by the camera knocking a opponent out! JHe got a 10 match ban and after that Leo Franco was the starter for the rest of the season. So he didnt sit out the whole season, he got his chance and didmt quite make it, especially in the home leg against Galatasaray, he was awful there!

So my guess is that someone might be on his way out and Roa will get the "first" chance and then Burgos will step in as a world class keeper (i remember Copa America 99!)

Also Labas, i must say (as i folloe every keeper in the world :) ) that Bonanao is first choice right now in Argentina-. I think he is from River Plate. Might be wrong. But i dont know him that much...

Real&Barcafan

·
Registered
10,086 Posts
Perhaps, I'm not much of a south american fan. i remember that incident wioth Burgos, but ddn't quite realise he didn't play the rest of the season:eek: what a blunder!:eek: Still, the situation in Mallorca is quite funny and I wonder how they aim to reslove it. Does anyone know if Jorge Quinteros is a part of this years squad?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts