Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
28,190 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Berlusconi promises to take Maldini back in Squadra Azzurra for Euro 04:) I say let's hope so.

·
Registered
2,997 Posts
Paddy Agnew, the commentator for Sky, said that Nesta and Cannavaro told him they had both personally asked Maldini to come back to the Azzurri. Given the lack of depth in defense of the current Italian team, I hope Maldini listens to them, if not to Berlusconi. :)

·
XT Post Number King
111,120 Posts
Maldini: Minister of defence Wednesday 24 March, 2004

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Italian Prime Minister will try to persuade Paolo Maldini to come out of international retirement for Euro 2004.

"Maldini is in great form," said Silvio Berlusconi, who is also the Milan President. "I think he could be of real use to the national side."

The legendary Milan defender quit the Azzurri scene after the 2002 World Cup but many believe he should be brought back into the side.

Italy boss Giovanni Trapattoni has asked him to return on a number of occasions but with no success.

But now Berlusconi has revealed that he will discuss the matter with the 36-year-old after another extraordinary season.

"Paolo would be a very important figure in Portugal," he continued. "I’ll work hard to convince him to wear the Azzurri shirt again."

channel4

·
Registered
54,575 Posts
The difference is... world cup he was injured and so he played quite crap. He balmed his age when it is obvious it was thw injury he recieved at Atalanta in January which kept him out until April. If he remains fit for the rest of the season, I see no reason why he shouldnt be in the defence. Or even just as a back-up although Id prefer him in the actual defence :D

·
Registered
5,101 Posts
It would be great to see him back, but I have a feeling that this dream won't happen. He is such a genuine guy he probably thinks he has to earn his spot in the team by playing all the qualifiers. :tongue: There's always a spot for Paolo!

BTW, can Zambrotta play right back? Is his right foot any decent? If so, we could have a marvellous defence...

Maldini - Cannavaro - Nesta - Zambrotta

:D

·
Registered
54,575 Posts
Zambrotta is actually better on his right foot, which is why he grew up as a right winger.

·
┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌&#874
31,893 Posts
yes... he play right wing, left wing, left back... why didnt he get tried on Right Back? He cant be bad on that end.

Good to see maldini back at his left back spot. Zam at RB seems logical... only for Oddo to wait on the sidelines.

·
Star Player
4,328 Posts
Deano said:
Zambrotta is actually better on his right foot, which is why he grew up as a right winger.
I read an interview where he said he started as a forward.

Careful, Maldini may feel because he played no part in helping Italy qualify, it might not be right for him to go to Portugal. I personally, would love to see him in the Azzurri shirt once again.

·
Registered
28,190 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Should Paolo join in, a possible lineup could be a Milan style formation ;) After all I'm Milanista:)

-----------------------------Buffon

Zambrotta--------------Nesta-------------Maldini---------Pancaro

-----------------------------Pirlo

----Gattuso--------------------------------------Cassano

----------------------------Totti

--------------------Inzaghi----------------Vieri

Basically it's like Milan is playing. Zambrotta in for Cafù, Cassano in for Seedorf, Totti in for Kakà, Vieri in for Sheva and Buffon for Dida. Might work;)

·
Registered
17,028 Posts
right now, maldini would be better than having cannavaro. nesta and maldini is the perfect partnership right now and cannavaro isnt at his best.

i would keep zambrotta at left back and play pancaro at right back.

As for Zambrotta, he is actually a left footer. he started at as a forward at bari but moved to right wing. but if you watched his play, and even at juve, he would cut in on his left side and always use his left foot. but he really has no opposite foot as he uses both so much. but from his movement, he seems to be a left sided player. but anyway, play him as keeper and he'll be great..awesome player indeed!

another option is having 3 centre backs. but to me, this will only be good if we had two zambrotta's and not just one.

i dont think maldini will return, he has made up his mind and once again, maybe we should look at at the future and not the past. i would love for both maldini and baggio to make it, but it wont happen.

buffon
pancaro nesta cannavaro zambrotta
gattuso pirlo maresca
totti
vieri cassano

i like that team...very balanced.

·
XT Post Number King
111,120 Posts
Maldini set for Euro 2004? Thursday 25 March, 2004

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Milan legend Paolo Maldini has revealed that he may be tempted to return to the international scene.

The stopper quit the Azzurri after the 2002 World Cup but there are calls for him to be a part of Euro 2004.

Although he had insisted that he will not wear the Italy shirt again, he has today admitted that he could have a rethink.

"If I changed my mind then I would talk to boss Giovanni Trapattoni directly and not via the media," he stated.

There have been suggestions that there is some friction between Maldini and some sections of the Azzurri squad that may be blocking his return.

But the captain has dismissed such a claim. "I’ve never had any trouble with anybody and that includes Francesco Totti," he stated.

While the 36-year-old wasn’t too sure about his international future, he did confirm that he would continue his club career with Milan.

"My contract expires in 2005," he added. "I still haven’t signed a new deal but an agreement is in place which will keep me here until 2006."

Maldini, who is having another fantastic season at the San Siro, has been at the club for over 20 years.

channel4

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
u must be joking, having Pancar instead of Cannavaro... ok Canna hasnt been at his best, but in the national team hes done very well... and with Nesta and Maldini beside him he would only be better... Zambrotta - Nesta - Cannvaro - Maldini ;) it really looks great

·
Registered
384 Posts
I believe that Zambrotta could move to right back if Thuram moves to a central position. As for Maldini moving to left back, unlikely, why remove the best partnership in football? Pancaro deserves that left spot, hence moving Zambrotta to the right and Maldini and Nesta in the middle.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts