1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
8,152 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
MALDINI: OVER-RATED TERRY IS NO RIO

EXCLUSIVE

By Darren Lewis

ITALY superstar Paolo Maldini has poured ridicule on Jose Mourinho's claim that John Terry is the best defender in the world.

Maldini, regarded as one of the best defenders ever, claims Terry is not yet as good as either Arsenal's Sol Campbell or Manchester United's Rio Ferdinand.

Maldini said: "John Terry is a very good young player who has been fantastic for Chelsea."But Sol Campbell and Rio Ferdinand are two of the best defenders in the world and have played at every level.

"I remember from the World Cup in 2002 they were probably England's best players.

"Until John Terry has competed at that level and won major things then I don't think he will play ahead of them yet.'' It is an assessment which will stun Blues fans and many neutrals all over the country.

Terry, 24, has been consistently magnificent over recent seasons and has shone this term as Chelsea have taken a vice-like grip on the title race.

Many observers agree that Terry's leadership and defensive qualities make him invaluable to Chelsea's glory charge.

But Maldini is not convinced, and believes Terry may even have to wait until either Campbell or Ferdinand retires before he can claim a regular England place.

He added: "I think that Terry can be an England international, of course. He has lots of time to wait for the other players to retire.

"He is the captain for his club and that is always a fine quality for a defender to have. Even if he has to wait two or three years he will still be young enough to play for a long time for his country. But you have to earn the chance to play for your country and he has not done that yet.

"Like I said, Campbell and Ferdinand are two of the best players in the world. How strange would it be for the manager to say to one of them 'You are not playing because I want to play a defender who has not proved himself yet'.

"It would not be right and it would not be fair.'' Maldini's comments are almost certain to act as a spur to Terry, hugely respected by his Chelsea team-mates as well as the club's hierarchy.

Defeat

The centre-back's desire was plain for all to see as he brooded with anger in the hours after the club's Champions League defeat to Porto - even though Mourinho's men had already qualified as the easy group winners.

This season he has not only prevented goals, he has scored them too, netting against Paris St Germain, Porto, CSKA Moscow and Arsenal.

But it was his composure at the back which led Mourinho to elevate the star above Campbell, Ferdinand and AC Milan's Alessandro Nesta.

--------------------------------------------------------

Well duh, Ledley King is even better but Mourinho isn't going to say that about one of his own players and I'd probably be bias too. Seriously Terry will win all the awards playing for Chelsea but Rio Sol and King are better and thats pretty damn obvious. Might overtake ageing Sol but Rio and King will probably always will be ahead of him.

Don't take my opinion, Maldini is a guy that knows!!!

Terry it a top CB though but not the best, Just playing in the best defence. I would like to see him at Spurs in King's place and put King in Chelsea's place and you would really see something.

King = Adriano of CB's

·
Registered
8,152 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I included King into it. IMO King is the best of the lot, Should be starting for England no doubt.

I doubt Terry would do half as well at Spurs inplace of him.

·
THE
14,135 Posts
Didn't King like "created" a penalty against Chelsea?

Ain't this khimik person a pityful one? He is like Figaro, lives here more than in arse forum.

·
Registered
4,453 Posts
I wouldnt mind having a solid centre back who scores an average of about 6 goals a season in my team.

But if Maldini says that doesnt make him one of the best defenders in the world, then he must be right.

·
Registered
8,152 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
No Maldini is saying the others are better. Terry is a top defender obviously but better than King? Come on he can win every Premiership player award and I still won't say he would do better than him at WHL.

·
Registered
4,453 Posts
Faisal said:
No Maldini is saying the others are better. Terry is a top defender obviously but better than King? Come on he can win every Premiership player award and I still won't say he would do better than him at WHL.
King is a superb player, but I wonder if he shines in a team with average defenders around him.

A true test would be to see him shine in a club with quality defenders around him or at international level (if he gets a chance).

·
THE
14,135 Posts
I love Maldini but a) Milan lost to Livorno on Sat b) table shows that Chelsea still leads the league by 10 points
Suits me

·
Registered
12,056 Posts
Faisal said:
Well duh, Ledley King is even better but Mourinho isn't going to say that about one of his own players and I'd probably be bias too. Seriously Terry will win all the awards playing for Chelsea but Rio Sol and King are better and thats pretty damn obvious. Might overtake ageing Sol but Rio and King will probably always will be ahead of him.

Don't take my opinion, Maldini is a guy that knows!!!

Terry it a top CB though but not the best, Just playing in the best defence. I would like to see him at Spurs in King's place and put King in Chelsea's place and you would really see something.

King = Adriano of CB's
I am so sick and tired of delusional logic used in this place? How are they better if Terry is the captain, scores more goals and gets more cleansheets. Where in that statement does it make Campbell who has conceeded a crap-ton of goals this season a better player, or Rio a man who let his country down with his stupidity. King is not better, if Woodgate was fit King would be fifth choice.

Maldini just talked a load of toss, no where did he at any point look at the FACTS. Fact is Terry has outplayed those two the entire season with his results. I guess Rooney shouldn't be in the team since he hasn't won anything either, nor Robinson, nor Lampard and so on. It is DUMB.

Who else has got a better defence this season? I'll tell you who doesn't - King, Sol and Rio. How is it the best defence though, who else is responsable? Cech, terry gets clean sheets with Cudicini too and had one of the best defences last season in europe. Gallas? He hasn't played a good deal in defence with Terry but out of position and not looking all that good. Ferreira? I don't rate this man at all. Everyone in that team refers to Terry as the guy behind the defence results. Many defences have better players around them in terms of names.

And King shouldn't have been man of the match when Lampard scores two goals and controls the play, with King conceeding a penalty... that makes no sense. I'm sure most pundits made him man of the match.

·
Registered
22,221 Posts
To say John terry is one of the best defenders in the world is quite laughable,I don't see what he's really done to deserve such high praise.

·
Registered
4,453 Posts
Schumy said:
To say John terry is one of the best defenders in the world is quite laughable,I don't see what he's really done to deserve such high praise.
You need top watch him before you comment and after reading your post, I dont think you have watched him this season.

·
Registered
25,902 Posts
kat said:
DAin't this khimik person a pityful one? He is like Figaro, lives here more than in arse forum.
I'd say about 70% of my posts are in the Arsenal forum. :eek:

Marc said:
Where in that statement does it make Campbell who has conceeded a crap-ton of goals
Incorrect. Most of the goals we conceded have come when Sol was out injured and Cygan and Toure were the two central defenders. Both the 5-3 and 5-4 results came when Sol was out of the team.

·
┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌&#874
31,893 Posts
Terry is definitely better than sol campbell... you cant always use age and appearances to measure.

On Maldini.... I think he is trying to say his partner Nesta is the best in the world... 'compare your own inside epl is not sufficient to talk about Nesta'

so its epl bashing again... :D

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
terry is so much better than king its not even funny. how can you compare king and terry?

·
Registered
17,861 Posts
Nesta is the best defender in the world - Terry is better than Rio imho, who is possible the most over-rated defender! Whenever I see him he manages to make a mistake!

·
Registered
11,208 Posts
Faisal said:
Maldini isn't saying that. He is absolutely right at saying that Terry has to play at every level and in every situation to know what he is made up of. Maldini is spot on.

Terry is yet to face an offensive unit like Barcelona. Terry is yet to be put under tremendous pressure at the highest level. For me Terry has played one tough cookie of a game in HIGHBURY last season which resulted in Arsenal being knocked out. He needs to play more games in those sort of situations so that it becomes easier to determine what Terry is made of.

King is NADA. If what Maldini said about Terry is used as a parallel to King then King is two notches down. You like to jump the gun and make bold claims about players. The ideal way to determine what a player is made up of is to see how he performs in different situations and different levels when the tide is against his team and he stands above the rest. For me Terry is a very good CB. However I need to see more Terry in the HIGHBURY type tense situations when there is no tomorrow. It is "NOW or NEVER" type of a situation. That is what makes the Greats in this game.

·
Registered
11,208 Posts
Marc said:
Maldini just talked a load of toss, no where did he at any point look at the FACTS. Fact is Terry has outplayed those two the entire season with his results. I guess Rooney shouldn't be in the team since he hasn't won anything either, nor Robinson, nor Lampard and so on. It is DUMB.
He's played the game for 20 years. If he doesn't know what he is talking about then who does?

FACT is that Terry has played one CL Semi and Chelsea conceded goals in those games. Terry needs more pressure games at the highest level to determine what he is made up of. You are a bitter little boy who takes everything as an insult to English players. He mentioned Sol and Rio as well or did you conveniently fail to read that part? The last sentence in the quoted post suits your own post perfectly ala Speedo! :D

1 - 20 of 62 Posts