Xtratime Community banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
17,861 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm just about to finish Malcolm X's autobiography and I think I have never read a book that has moved me and made me think as much as this one has. This man had such charisma that it jumps out at you from the page from 40 years ago! His assessment of America and its treatment towards the Black people is outstanding and it is very easy to see why the white establishment feared him so much and the Black people loved him so. His intelligence is astounding especially as he was self-taught (he left school during 8th grade) and he was becoming a much more mature thinker when he was assassinated in 1964. The book is also a fascinating social history, from the street hustler during the 1940s to the inner sanctum of the Nation of Islam to his Hajj to Makkah. I would recommend this book to everyone because it challenges what you think about not only yourself but also the world you live in. He was truly remarkable man!

·
Registered
10,421 Posts
Yes the Malcolm X story is indeed a very fascinating one. I would like to read the book, so can you tell me who wrote it please?

·
On Planet Z
6,520 Posts
The Autobiography of Malcolm X is truely one of the most thought-provoking books I've ever read. When I finished, I couldn't help but wonder how his evolution would have continued had he survived the 1960's. I often think about him in relation to the Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. (they were in essence two very different men, but comparing the two is nearly inevitable)--had they both survived the '60's, would they have stayed the same path as they had started? Would Dr. King have become the more radical of the two? Would they have become brothers in arms?

By the way, Prince, Alex Haley (Roots guy) was the one who finished work on the autobiography after Malcolm's death.

·
Registered
17,861 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Its very easy to find - most bookshops stock it!

Phoenix, I have often had the same feeling that Malcolm could only have gone from strength to strength - but he also remains at the forefront after being assassinated. 40 years on he is still the leader who most Northern Black Americans living in the ghetto can relate to (or if not him then someone who was influenced by him in Louis Farakhan) - Spike Lee's film made sure that a new generation was aware of who he was and his lessons are still pertinent today as Black Americans still struggle to leave the ghetto and find parity with White Americans.

I know that Betty Malcolm's widow and Martin Luther King's widow appeared a few events together afterwards and were in contact until Betty died a few years ago - so maybe we would have seen the Baptist Minister and the Muslim leader join forces!

·
On Planet Z
6,520 Posts
Natalya said:
so maybe we would have seen the Baptist Minister and the Muslim leader join forces!
Wouldn't that have been something? :proud:

·
Registered
17,861 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It would have been usedful in today's climate! :)

·
On Planet Z
6,520 Posts
For sure...*sigh*

Do you remember Dr. King's last speech? That was very inspiring; very haunting as well, as among his closing words were "I have seen the promised land, and I may not get there with you..."

It sends shivers down my spine when I think about it.

·
Registered
17,861 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
And its sad that the 'promised land' still has not been reached! Although there is a facade of equality non-white Americans are still more likely to be poor and in prison, the police force is still more often than not racist and there are still too few non-white politicans! Its the same here in the UK

·
On Planet Z
6,520 Posts
The struggle continues. :(

·
Registered
11,477 Posts
Natalya said:
And its sad that the 'promised land' still has not been reached! Although there is a facade of equality non-white Americans are still more likely to be poor and in prison, the police force is still more often than not racist and there are still too few non-white politicans! Its the same here in the UK
as for being poor and in prison, that is something they must work themself out of, some have what it takes some does not. The racistic poice is a problem tough.

·
Registered
17,861 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well its not as easy that - due to stereotyping juries can often convict black people more than they would white people and judges will often show impartiality when sentencing if it is a non-white person especially if it is a crime committed against a white person (murdering a white person, raping a white woman etc). So institutionalised racism goes deeper than we often know and is a huge problem that needs to also be sorted out!

·
Registered
3,916 Posts
Anyone read Bruce Perry's Biography?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts