Xtratime Community banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
836 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Interesting move.

Malaysia will boot foreign players out of its domestic league next season to save cash and develop its flagging national game.

Soccer federation chiefs meeting at the weekend unanimously agreed that clubs' reliance on highly-paid foreign imports was shutting out local talent and weakening the national team.

"We are not at the status of English Premier League, our league is not matured yet, therefore some drastic measures must be taken to improve it," the federation's deputy president, Khairy Jamaluddin, told local reporters.

"With the presence of foreign players, local players have not been given the opportunity (to develop)."

Officials also said most of the foreigners were past their prime and clubs were struggling to pay their high salaries.

"(Clubs) can't cope, so it is best that we do away with foreign players until the problems are solved," one committee member told the Star newspaper.

Federation officials also cited a government report that suggested many of those involved in match-fixing in the Malaysian Super League were foreigners, with Africans the worst offenders.

The Super League, launched amid great fanfare in 2004, has done little to improve Malaysia's national team, which is ranked a lowly 166th in FIFA's world rankings.
I know nothing about the Malaysian league so can't tell you how densely populated it is by foreigners, but unless it 100% overseas then I can't see that this is a good move.

I'm of the school of thought that whilst a cap on the number of non-nationals might be sensible, it's ultimately detrminetal to ban them altogether and rob developing players of the chance to learn alongside those with with greater talent.

·
Registered
5,697 Posts
Malaysian league does not attract very good foreign players, mostly foreigners from other Asian countries and some foreigners from elsewhere who usually come too short for the European football. So I doubt this move makes a lot of difference in terms of quality of the game. I think it borders racism though to be honest.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts