Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
XT Post Number King
111,120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Liga Preview: Malaga-Valencia
Malaga - Valencia | News Archive

Valencia will look for inspiration from Ruben Baraja (Reuters)
05/03/2002. BACKGROUND

Make no mistake, Malaga provide a huge obstacle between Valencia and their first league title since 1971.

Joaquin Peiro's well organised side have surprised many again this season and are currently in contention for a Uefa Cup spot. Ten defeats all season is as many as Barcelona and Deportivo, while just three defeats at home makes La Rosaleda one of La Liga's more tricky grounds to visit.

Like last season, the key to Malaga remains the sprightly centre-forward duo of Dario Silva and Dely Valdes. The latter has come into goalscoring form in recent weeks after an unusually subdued start to the season, while Dario Silva is always a threat and will lead Uruguay's attack at the forthcoming World Cup.

This clash, though, is really about Valencia. Last week they trailed Espanyol for long periods but their indomitable spirit eventually saw them through after they'd missed enough chances to have won three matches. Ruben Baraja, in particular, was the guilty party but he eventually came good and carried on his excellent goalscoring form with two strikes in eight second-half minutes. They achieved the win with ten-men, too, after Amedeo Carboni had received his marching orders for a blatant elbow after just half-an-hour.

The Ches may have a reputation for playing hard, and many have accused them of being downright dirty –just ask Alexander Mostovoi- but few will remember this in ten years time. All that will matter is that Valencia's name is engraved next to 'champions' of the year 2002. And wouldn't they deserve it. After a less than convincing start, they've been the model of consistency. Defensively they are arguably the best in Europe, with the stingy back-line of Carboni, Roberto Ayala, Mauricio Pellegrino and Curro torres having conceded just 27 goals all season. In midfield the likes of David Albelda and Baraja provide the muscle, with Kily Gonzalez and Pablo Aimar supplying the flair. It's a mix that's brought them to within just one win of the title. Now they need to finish the job off.

FORM GUIDE

Malaga Last Six Matches: DWWLDD

The recent form has been solid. The victories have come against relegation-threatened Osasuna and Tenerife but since then they've been beaten by Real Sociedad and held to a draw by Mallorca. Last week's 2-2 draw at Deportivo was most certainly a point gained, though.

Valencia Last Six Matches: WWWXWW

The Ches' have been almost flawless of late. Struggling Osasuna, Tenerife and Real Sociedad have all been disposed of and although Rafa Benitez' men were held at Mallorca, they quickly recovered from this to beat Deportivo and Espanyol at the Mestella.

LATEST TEAM NEWS

(Available Later)

PLAYERS TO WATCH

Dario Silva (Malaga)- the Uruguayan hotshot has consistently performed for Malaga over the last two seasons. His pace and ability to be in the right place at the right time are real assets, although his temper can sometimes let him down.

Pablo Aimar (Valencia)- probably the best player of the second half of this season. His ability to pick out a team-mate from long distance is a gift indeed, and he has really blended into the team's make-up in recent months after a disappointing first year with the club.

soccerage

·
Registered
238 Posts
I'm bitting my fingers nails already. Come on Valencia - just one more game. :tongue:

:eek: :dazed: :dontcare: :groan: :howler: :groan: :groan: :groan:

·
MoMo
6,835 Posts
Our line up will probably look like this :

----------------------Cani----------------------

Aurellio------Djukic--------Ayala-------Curro

Vicente-------Baraja-----Albelda------Rufete

--------------------Aimar-------------------------

-------------------Mista/Angulo----------------

The only doubt is who is gonna play upfront..

:nervous::nervous::nervous::nervous:

AMUNT VALENCIA!!

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
I think Killy deserves Vicente's place

·
Registered
280 Posts
Assasin, you're right...we'll probably see Kily today since Vicente started the last one and I didn't hear that Kily was injured.........

the question of the day is .....what's up with Momo:tongue: cos he totally messed up our lineup:eek: ....possible answers:

1)he's so nervous these days that he doesn't recognize the difference between left and right...it's especially difficult when you get mirror involved:D

2)he's throwing smoke bombs in the face of our adversary...well, there are no Malaga fans around but you can always bump into disguised merengue sneaking around:D

well, you can see the state of my madness this morning so I'm off now to play some football and hope that it will distract myself of thinking about football......messy aaaaaa?:eek:

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Well yeah , Killy is fit for the game ..and his experince in such games is much more higher than Vicente.....so he should play today....I hope he will :)

Don't blame MoMo, Plotinus, he is a kid..and he needs some more time to start thinking with staibility :tongue::D

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
Valencia it's do or dia, defeat Malaga, the title is your, c'mon you can doit.

Amount Valencia...

·
Registered
10,421 Posts
1-0 Valencia; Roberto Ayala!

·
MoMo
6,835 Posts
Aurellio makes it 2 !!!!!!!!!! :happy::excited::eek::howler:

Halftime!

To those lucky bastards who are watching it: I hope you are enjoying this game while I'm here banging my head into the wall!! :fero::D

AMUNT VALENCIA!! :proud:

·
Registered
3,273 Posts
Why it took to the ref 5 minutes until he approved the goal?

·
Registered
4,168 Posts
MoMo said:
Aurellio makes it 2 !!!!!!!!!! :happy::excited::eek::howler:

Halftime!

To those lucky bastards who are watching it: I hope you are enjoying this game while I'm here banging my head into the wall!! :fero::D

AMUNT VALENCIA!! :proud:
I'm in the same position as you, momo and I'm pretty bervous too.

Amunt Valencia! :proud: :D :cool:

·
Registered
7 Posts
CONGRATS TO ALL YOU GUYS FROM A SAD DEPOR FAN...

It is always good to see a team that people don't believe can pull it off shut mouths of Madrid and Barcelona fans (and some depor fans :D ) Seems like its all over this year so once again, congrats.

Also, hopefully Depor will become sub champions next week when we kick Madrid's a$$ :tongue:

1 - 20 of 37 Posts