Xtratime Community banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4,453 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know its been discussed a lot and there is definately a need for a holding midfield player / CB but I have some food for thought......

Goals against this season after 20 games: 20
Goals against last season after 20 games: 21 (with Makelele)

Points won after 20 games this season: 43 points
Points won after 20 games last season: 39 points (with Makelele)

·
Registered
4,453 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I was suprised too especially with the amount of negative comments and panic ive read recently!

·
Honorable Mention, February 2013 XT Photo Contest
21,026 Posts
I wonder if there is a difference in the time of possesion, or balls won/lost. Without looking at numbers, I would think that there would be.

Even Helguera says that he is missed.

·
Registered
10,390 Posts
Nico said:
I know its been discussed a lot and there is definately a need for a holding midfield player / CB but I have some food for thought......

Goals against this season after 20 games: 20
Goals against last season after 20 games: 21 (with Makelele)

Points won after 20 games this season: 43 points
Points won after 20 games last season: 39 points (with Makelele)
Statistics speaks for themselves

And i would bet the numbers in Europe are much better this year so far, Missing somebody just come out of two reasons
1. Emotions and feelings: I never met the guy personally, (makelele) and most of the interviews I read abt him on his last year, were mainly related to his claim on salary increase, I don t miss him on this field either . (he wasn’t a RM player for that long anyways, lets say like Morientes who was a true Madridista.
2. Results: the numbers Nico mentioned above say it all, bringing Beckham to the team has been an improve on that side of the field, the problem and the unbalanced comes from the central defense, that’s where Perez should concentrate. Helguera (the player who missed Make the most, every interview he mentioned him, wonder why?) should improve his game on the midfield too, and Im not blaming the guy either hes been moved out of position too much due to our lack of real defenseman.

·
Registered
4,453 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Agreed, but this shows that Real are in a better position now than they were at this stage last year (La Liga) although im not sure what the difference in goals scored at this stage is.

·
Registered
10,390 Posts
Nico said:
Agreed, but this shows that Real are in a better position now than they were at this stage last year (La Liga) although im not sure what the difference in goals scored at this stage is.
I dont have the time to look for that information, but I will bet we have scored more goals this year, I was watching an interview by Ronaldo last nite, where he said he scored twice as many goals (15) so far than last year at this same period.(half season) plus Raul has 9 goals so far as well, So the offensive production should be bigger this year. and Beckham has assisted in many of those goals something Makelele did not do last year.

·
Go for 400, Raúl!
2,008 Posts
Alter Ego said:
I dont have the time to look for that information, but I will bet we have scored more goals this year
In fact we haven't, at least in the League championship. We've scored 39 goals so far, and 42 goals last season at this stage.

As for goals against, don't forget Casillas is playing much better this year, even if his level last season was very high, too.
Overall, I think that our problem is in the midfield -and at the bench. We're paying teh extra defensive effort and our lack of replacement. Our players are exhausted and forced to play at 30% most of times to save energies

·
Third Place winner, October 2012 XT Photo Contest
20,440 Posts
agree with gwydno. I do miss him in sportive sense. Just guess what a pair would Makelele and Beckham give? Helguera could help out the youngsters in the back then.

in personal matter I do not miss Makelele. Someone that only loves his money and has no intention nor will to give even a piece of his heart to the club he plays for, wont ever get my respect.

D

·
0 Posts
I personnally think that they do miss Makelele a lot, both in midfield, cos he's not there, and in defense, because Helguera has had to move into midfield.

I think that the main reason for the improvement in numbers is the brilliant form of Casillas. I'd like to see a figure for shots on the madrid goal, both on and off target, i'd bet they have increased substantially in Makelele's absense

·
Senior Poster of the year 2007
40,147 Posts
I don't trust much in statistics, Real Madrid brokes in the midfield easily. Real Madrid has a big power up front, but it has less stability in the midfield. I think he's missed, just ask Roberto Carlos, Salgado or Helguera.

·
Premium Member
27,068 Posts
Koeman4 said:
I don't trust much in statistics, Real Madrid brokes in the midfield easily. Real Madrid has a big power up front, but it has less stability in the midfield. I think he's missed, just ask Roberto Carlos, Salgado or Helguera.
I tend to agree with you, statistic can always be used to distort the truth, at the same time I think that this shows that some of those who been panicing to relax and take a deep breath.

sure some one can find statistics that can prove other wise as well.

·
Registered
12,959 Posts
I don't miss Make. He was the working horse in our team and very valuable in the defence, but his heart did never beat for Madrid- last weeks before he left showed it clearly. Besides, we use to say: try to do the best with what you have and don't think about what you don't have!
Our midfield? Depends how you look on it. Zidane, Figo, Becks and Raul together are the best midfield in the world and our concept of a match is the attack. If we had some quality defenders nobody would even dare to mention our midfield.:rolleyes:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts