Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2,518 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Inspired by the Xtratime.org debate!

Seriously, what's with the hype with forwards anyways? Picking the forwards is easy. Since Argentina has so many, any of them will score goals. What will make or break Maradona's WC10 will be his defenders, because that is that tricky part.

The usual choices:

Javier Zanetti - (He'll be 36, but is there a better RB for ARG?)
Walter Samuel - (Time for a comeback?)
Nicolas Burdisso - (Argentina love calling him to the squad, probably due to his impressive performances for Inter!) :howler:
Gabriel Heinze
Gabriel Milito
Martin Demichelis
Fabrico Coloccini

...and the fringe players waiting to make a mark:

Fabian Monzon
Gonzalo Rodrigues
Emiliano Papa
Cristian Villagra
Daniel Díaz
Pablo Zabaleta
Ezequiel Garay
Nicolas Pareja

·
Registered
10,819 Posts
No room for Coloccini in there Rob?

·
Registered
1,593 Posts
Inspired by the Xtratime.org debate!

Seriously, what's with the hype with forwards anyways? Picking the forwards is easy. Since Argentina has so many, any of them will score goals. What will make or break Maradona's WC10 will be his defenders, because that is that tricky part.

The usual choices:

Javier Zanetti - (He'll be 36, but is there a better RB for ARG?)
Walter Samuel - (Time for a comeback?)
Nicholas Burdisso - (Argentina love calling him to the squad, probably due to his impressive performances for Inter!) :howler:
Gabriel Heinze
Gabriel Milito
Martin Demichelis
Fabrico Coloccini

...and the fringe players waiting to make a mark:

Fabian Monzon
Gonzalo Rodrigues
Emiliano Papa
Cristian Villagra
Daniel Díaz
Pablo Zabaleta
What about Garay and Pareja?

·
Registered
14,528 Posts
Anyways:

Zanetti - Garay - Gonzales - Heinze

PS I don't think Heinze is a good LB, actually the opposite I don't think he's that good but I couldn't think of anyone else who could play there.

PS 2 I would take a 50 year old Zanetti over Zabaleta who I think is a very average footballer. Then again he plays for City now. :pp

EDIT: I just remembered Betis' Monzon, if he develops well maybe he should start over Heinze as LB

·
Registered
11,267 Posts
Zanetti - Demichelis - Milito/Samuel - NOT Heinze

EDIT: Argentina has to have teh most in depth talent in the world. making a back 4 is nearly as hard as choosing their front 3. and even the midfield is excellent.

·
Registered
10,819 Posts
Red, you watching the tennis?:D

·
Registered
11,267 Posts
Red, you watching the tennis?:D
i just turned it off because i want to watch napoli-roma.

please tell me Baghdatis won the 2nd set and then i might go tune in.....

EDIT: oh no, poor guy lost the 2nd as well.

·
Registered
2,274 Posts
Seroiusly, what the mods are doing? This thread doesn't belong here, it should be in the Argentina forum. Every random person can start a thread about creating the defense, midfield, forward line of x, y,z countries.

·
Registered
2,912 Posts
i would take emiliano papa, emiliano inusa, lucas licht and luciano monzon over gabriel heinze for left back.
zanetti will probably start at right back, but zabaleta, maidana and angeleri are in with a chance.

·
Registered
5,933 Posts
Seroiusly, what the mods are doing? This thread doesn't belong here, it should be in the Argentina forum. Every random person can start a thread about creating the defense, midfield, forward line of x, y,z countries.
well, i don't know about Talus, but i opened the Trio thread in here to see how people from ALL AROUND THE WORLD AND SUPPORTING other teams, besides Argentina, rate these player....and since these players play in all the big leagues in Europe and South America, it won't hurt much....
if its in the Argentina forum, u will only find the national team supporters who most are argentinians...in here, you will find barcelona, inter, man united lazio supporters whose biased opinions towards their club's players make the forum more interesting and argumentative (well, in a good way)

back to topic, i wouldn't put Garay on the XI as Demichelis, Milito, Gonzalo and Samuel are well ahead (deservedly so) of him...maybe Pareja, whom i think is better than Garay and Fazio..

here is my back line:

Zanetti (ageless) - Gonzalo - Demichelis/Samuel - Manzon (speed up ur progress son!)

so....who is opening the "Make your Argentina Midfield for WC '10"? :pp

·
Registered
2,518 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
It's most fun with Argentina because they have so much Depth. A "make your England back 4 wouldn't have debate to it" in comparison. :D

For me, I'd chose Zanetti, Gonzalo, Samuel, and Heinze

Zanetti is their only choice for RB right now. It's interesting because he's the oldest player on the squad, but probably the most definite defender at this point, considering that no other RB has been played in a long time. The only reason why Zanetti wouldn't play is if ARG goes with 3 defender instead of 4, which I think is a possibility because they have no strong LB, so might as well just drop the wingbacks alltogether.

Gonzalo and Samuel are a good combination of youth and experience. Walter Samuel should return for Argentina, if only he can stay injury free. It's really stupid how Inter's 5th choice defender Burdisso is getting called up when Samuel isn't

LB is a weakness. I think Heinze should still start. The other haven't made it to the top level yet.

·
Registered
5,933 Posts
no way will Heinze start....Monzon and Villagra, heck, even the Insua from the butchers league would be ahead of Heinze in my list

·
Registered
5,943 Posts
Samuel's better than all the central defenders there by a long way.

I won't be surprised if Maradona finally forgives him for 2002 and selects him.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Samuel's better than all the central defenders there by a long way.

I won't be surprised if Maradona finally forgives him for 2002 and selects him.
What He has done?, Argentina lost mostly because of their bad offensive play; the defence missed Ayala and chamot and also Pochetino and Placente aren't good CB's.
He is a world class centre back 100% better than Burrdiso...

·
Registered
2,518 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Samuel is back in Argentina's squad for the first time since 2006. Maradona has called up Zanetti, Heinze, Diaz, Burdisso, and Samuel for the upcoming match.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts