Xtratime Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
I

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yes, I know the French had a virtually 2nd string 11 but Holland's performance was the best Ive seen since we beat Germany 3-1 in Euro92. The French caused use some problems but we were totally in control in the second half. In fact, the goals we let in were all soft goals which shouldn't have happened at set pieces.
Apart from Zidane, Henry and Thuram, I don't think the French team were that much weaker than it would have been with all their players. But this was what we needed to show the world. Now, all of Holland will be behind the team, some pressure is lifted with the knowledge that they are at their best and now bring on Yugoslavia. If they play half as well, they should be OK. Only if they underestimate them can they lose the game.

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Oranje should not give Yugoslvavia as much time and space as they did with France, because if they do that than Yugoslvia too will score.
France however did not manage many chances in open play. Dugarry had a chance, although he was off-side and Westerveld was lucky to save from a powerful shot from Trezeguet. The French B-team almost telepathically found each other, theyr'e definitely even better than 2 years ago.
I'm glad the Dutch play Yugoslavia rather than Spain, Spain is one of the favourites, but does that really say anything?, look what happened to Germany and England. Yugoslavia ran Spain close, expect another tight battle between the Netherladns and Yugoslavia like WC 98, but the Dutch should come out on top again. This time, the Dutch fans will even more outnumber the Yugoslav fans, just for good measure.

·
XCC Winner 2001
4,440 Posts
I was at the Arena yesterday, and it was just awesome!!! :cool:

But anyways..

DriverX, you are glad the the Dutch play Yugoslavia instead of Spain, I think everybody wanted Spain, cause Yugoslavia is far more difficult to play against for us!

·
Registered
319 Posts
Impressive but is it enough ?

It's getting exhausting. I have been running around like hell these past two weeks. To Arnhem, for Italy vs. Turkey, to Brussels, for Italy vs. Belgium, to Rotterdam, for Spain vs. Norway, to Eindhoven, for Italy vs. Sweden, to my back-yard, to see Spain vs. Slovenia. One more quarterfinal to go to; Saturday it's Turkey vs. Portugal. I'm dying.....

After 3 heart-attacks and a minor stroke, I was able to breathe again. Spain, my all-time favorite, was through. I couldn't believe it. But when I saw Raul's big smile, I knew it really had happened. There's till a God. And last night he shining at us from SEVILLE ! Viva ALFONSO !

Holland was impressive. I thought it was pretty low of the French to start out with this B-team. The miss of key- players like Zidane, Thuram, Henry, Deschamps was kind of a deception. Frank de Boer's goal was an absolute beauty. But the most irritating thing of the whole night was Edgar getting his yellow card. How can such an experience player as him, not THINK for one second about doing something this stupid. Talking, nagging at the referee, it doesn't sound like Edgar but it's exactly what he did last night. The top was reached when he pulled a Yugo-shirt and there we are. I'm a bit dissapointed. If Holland goes through, they'll need him more than ever, but the Yugo's know his "record". They don't know the word "mercy". With all their nasty slidings, their cruel kicks all the way around, they'll be after him, I just know it. This is not a job done yet....

The Miss

·
XCC Winner 2001
4,440 Posts
Davids on july 2nd, 20.00

:D :D :D :D :D

Miss, wow, you saw alot!
That backyard trip, damn, that must have costed you alot of air..;)
Btw: what did you think of the Gelredome?

[Edited by Michel on 22-06-2000 at 17:03]

1 - 6 of 6 Posts